Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 PM

71 posts, read 337,361 times

Advertisements

I'm a graphic designer currently living in Philadelphia. I desperately want to get out of this city, and my boyfriend might possibly be taking a job in Brick, NJ. Where would be the best place to find a graphic design job? Are there any places that are sort of close by? We figured we could live somewhere in the middle of wherever we both work if I find a job more north.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:19 PM

625 posts, read 3,636,011 times
My bf is going through the same thing. Your best best is to keep checking craigslist. Those jobs are few and far between. Good Luck.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,164,268 times
Most of the NJ graphic design job market is in the city - if you can find a place that's a little bit further north than brick, than you can have an easier commute to both places. I would pick somewhere along the Parkway corridor - maybe Old Bridge, or possibly down into Monmouth County - but you might not want to go too far south or the commute to Manhattan will be a bear.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:06 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
they had a graphic designer on staff at the company i worked for ---it was a retail clothing corp. you might want to check something of that sort.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:17 PM

Thanks so far for the help. It seems kind of ironic, I just want to get away from the city, but my career seems almost completely city-based.

I'm sure I'll find something eventually....I hope! I just really REALLY would like to live by the shore. I LOVE the beach and have always wanted to live close to it. And especially after living in Philadelphia (I haven't even been here that long but I HATE it and need to get out) I just want to live in a nice, quiet suburban area that is SAFE, possibly with nice people (the people here are mostly ignorant a**holes), and some decent entertainment (and by that I mean good shopping centers, which Brick seemed to have plenty of, good restaurants, a couple good movie theaters, and an overall good community. I hope this is possible without a complete career change!!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:21 PM

Try taking a look at Middletown, NJ - it's not that far out of Manhattan - there's a Ferry (albiet it's expensive) that goes right to manhattan, but it is also on a bus line. From what I understand, it's about an hour to midtown manhttan from there.

I do feel your pain. I too am a graphic designer, and I actually have been freelancing for just over a year. If you have a niche skill you might be able to carve your way that way as well - I've been working regularly for an ad agency, but also pick up other stuff on the side to help suppliment my income. I have a few regular clients who I am about to work for out of the house, limiting my commute into the city. right now, I live over an hour outside the city on Long Island. We are wanting to move to NJ for other reasons, but a side benefit is that the town we are looking at is only a 35 - 40 minute ride into Manhattan via bus.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Try taking a look at Middletown, NJ - it's not that far out of Manhattan - there's a Ferry (albiet it's expensive) that goes right to manhattan, but it is also on a bus line. From what I understand, it's about an hour to midtown manhttan from there.

I do feel your pain. I too am a graphic designer, and I actually have been freelancing for just over a year. If you have a niche skill you might be able to carve your way that way as well - I've been working regularly for an ad agency, but also pick up other stuff on the side to help suppliment my income. I have a few regular clients who I am about to work for out of the house, limiting my commute into the city. right now, I live over an hour outside the city on Long Island. We are wanting to move to NJ for other reasons, but a side benefit is that the town we are looking at is only a 35 - 40 minute ride into Manhattan via bus.
How do you find freelance work? I do check Craigslist from time to time but it seems like there isn't much to choose from, and God knows how many other hundreds of people are also applying. I checked out some of the freelance sites but I noticed a lot of them charged A LOT ($100+) and sadly, right now I just can't afford to spend that kind of money without a guarantee that I'll be making a profit from it. Are those my only options?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:34 PM

First thing I did was register with some agencies. I actually did this back in 2005, and when I went back to freelancing in 2007, they were more than happy to help me find work again. I can definitely refer you to my agency, which has been -really- good at finding me steady work.

I also decided to pay for google ads. I set a $50/month cap on my ads, and I can tell you that my return on investment has definitely paid for itself. I am a member of guru.com, but I haven't really found much on there, and have never bothered to submit a bid because I think it's impossible to get started if you haven't actually been awarded any bids in the past. Way too much competition from folks who are willing to work for nothing.

Craigslist used to be much better than it is now, but it is certainly worth answering some ads. My speciality is presentation design, and find that there is really a call for people who can really design in powerpoint...

Just some ideas.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
First thing I did was register with some agencies. I actually did this back in 2005, and when I went back to freelancing in 2007, they were more than happy to help me find work again. I can definitely refer you to my agency, which has been -really- good at finding me steady work.

I also decided to pay for google ads. I set a $50/month cap on my ads, and I can tell you that my return on investment has definitely paid for itself. I am a member of guru.com, but I haven't really found much on there, and have never bothered to submit a bid because I think it's impossible to get started if you haven't actually been awarded any bids in the past. Way too much competition from folks who are willing to work for nothing.

Craigslist used to be much better than it is now, but it is certainly worth answering some ads. My speciality is presentation design, and find that there is really a call for people who can really design in powerpoint...

Just some ideas.
Thank you for all the ideas, I'm definitely going to try some of them. Not sure I'm ready for the Google ad yet, I'm still fairly new into the field. I would greatly appreciate it if you could refer me to agency you work with, as I feel that it is my best bet right now.

Thank you so much!!!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:06 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
They are out there. My cousin lives in Brick and does graphic design. She has been with the same company for 5 - 8 years; every once in a while she'll get itchy and apply elsewhere if an interesting job is advertised (and she's gotten job offers out of it; but she ends up staying where she is). I think she's always just looked in the Asbury Park Press and the Star Ledger. She works in Monmouth County. There are plenty of companies in NJ that are large enough to need a graphic design professional, you shouldn't have to travel to the city unless you want to.
Best of luck. I've lived in Brick, it's a nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey