Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:36 AM

12 posts, read 28,220 times

Advertisements

Since I basically got very little help with this in the NY thread... I was told to move it to the New Jersey thread... can anyone help?

Hello All,

OK I'm moving to the New York area this June. I'm thinking I'd like to live in Brooklyn or Manhattan but I might have to live in Jersey. Here's why: My job is located in Moonachie, NJ. I will be provided a company car that I MUST drive to work daily. I hear the commute from NY to Jersey will be awful. I'd like to spend no more than 30 minutes commuting. I am a 27 single black female and I'd like to live in a neighborhood that is diverse (just as many "professional" blacks as whites/hispanics). I'd like it to be no more than 10 minutes to live music, lounges, theaters, bars. I wish to be a roommate so I'm looking to spend no more than 750 to 1000 a month. So given these details, is it feasible to live in NY with these living arrangements or does it make more sense to live in Jersey. If so.... where in what ever city that you recommend. Also... I may be bringing my personal vehicle if I have to live in Jersey. I'd rather not. PLEEEAAASE Help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
if you live in nyc and want to drive to moonachie, nj in less than 30 minutes its not happening. also, if you live in nyc you can expect to pay an additional city income tax which is something id rather avoid.

maybe hoboken or jersey city is something you are looking for. hoboken is convenient to get to the city so you can get freaky with your bad self and should provide a sub 30 minute commute. jersey city is more diverse and less safe but people have tried to gentrify it a bit so there are nicer buildings.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:51 AM

326 posts, read 1,302,126 times
The commute to NY from NJ is really bad during rush hour... especially in the Moonachie area it gets really crowded.

If my job was in NJ I would stick to living in Jersey... you would be just a short driving distance to the city.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:53 AM

Thanks. So if i decide to live in jersey city or hoboken, would parking be an issue? What are the advantages to living in Jersey city vs. HOboken?

Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy0lady View Post
Thanks. So if i decide to live in jersey city or hoboken, would parking be an issue? What are the advantages to living in Jersey city vs. HOboken?
my brother lives in hoboken. i believe he pays $200 a month for parking in his building. there is parking on the street but he is worried about vandalism. i dont know anything about jersey city.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:25 PM

138 posts, read 610,796 times
Parking is easier in Jersey City, and Jersey City is also more diverse. There are definite good areas and bad areas, though. The best areas are: downtown, Paulus Hook, Exchange Place, Harsimus Cove, Van Vorst Park, Hamilton Park, and Pavonia/ Newport. I lived in Harsimus Cove for 3 years until last summer. I parked on the street and had no problems - the farthest from my apartment I ever had to park was one block. You can't say the same for Hoboken parking! As far as nightlife, JC is up and coming, but it doesn't have as much as Hoboken. However, it is a quick Path ride into Hoboken (which I did quite often).

I think you may still have trouble keeping the commute under 30 minutes, because of traffic, but perhaps someone else could confirm...

Old 04-24-2009, 01:36 PM

Thank you Majesty. This definitely helps with having a list of neighborhoods. I was told traffic going away from the city in the AM wouldn't be as bad. But no biggee. So my only dilemna is choosing between Hoboken and JC based on you guys input. I'll come to NYC/jersey in May to see for myself.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:53 PM

if you need cheaper union city may be an issue. im not sure your economic situation and what type of demographic you are comfortable with. i wouldnt step foot in there but i hate urban life and diversity.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:10 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
Wow, you MUST drive the company car to work!? I wonder if you can explain this further?

Hoboken is nicer I think. If you got a roommate, 1000 a month seems totally feasible.

however, i am not sure that hoboken is very diverse?

Old 04-25-2009, 07:29 AM

989 posts, read 1,878,038 times
Hoboken is full of professionals who work over in the city. Just stay away from the back end of Hoboken. It's not a nice place. It's all low income housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey