Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 07:19 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times

Advertisements

If it means anything to you, NJ banks for the most part are in good shape. I am a bankaholic and recently shifted things around due to the financial crisis, so I did some research. Hudson City was in the news that they have a profit and were not part of the sub prime mortgage nonsense. They are rated 5 stars by Bankrate.com and BauerFinancial. Some other banks rated 4-5 stars are: Investors Savings Bank, Valley National Bank, RSI, and Columbia Savings. Some of these banks have memos out reassuring customers they are not part of the mortgage problem. Go to Valley National Bank and view the video clip from NJ12News.

Valley National Bank: Valley In The News / <

Any positive comments would be appreciated as we need good news for a change!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 AM

130 posts, read 497,125 times
I'm closing with Hudson in next week. Full Doc loan.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:34 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
If it means anything to you, NJ banks for the most part are in good shape. I am a bankaholic and recently shifted things around due to the financial crisis, so I did some research. Hudson City was in the news that they have a profit and were not part of the sub prime mortgage nonsense. They are rated 5 stars by Bankrate.com and BauerFinancial. Some other banks rated 4-5 stars are: Investors Savings Bank, Valley National Bank, RSI, and Columbia Savings. Some of these banks have memos out reassuring customers they are not part of the mortgage problem. Go to Valley National Bank and view the video clip from NJ12News.

Valley National Bank: Valley In The News / <

Any positive comments would be appreciated as we need good news for a change!!
I use Valley for all of my auto loans..great bank! I also use a small..well use to be small community bank out here in NW Jersey. great service..free checking... etc. I use Skylands Community Bank for both my personal as well as the business - they scored 4 stars on bankrate.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:41 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,063,818 times
Thing is, never before in the history of banking have banks charged so much interest on credit cards. At the same time, banks have never been able to pay so little on deposits to savers, or borrow money so cheaply from other banks or the Federal Reserve. The end result is that the spread on what banks have to pay, and what they charge, is at an ASTRONOMICAL, ALL TIME HIGH. Banks are gouging consumers and engaging in USURIOUS practices with credit cards.

This has also spilled over into auto loans, business loans, and all sorts of other loans. Any wonder that people with good credit aren't borrowing ? Why would anyone who doesn't need to borrow willingly pay such high rates to these banks and financial companies for credit ? The answer is that they are refusing to borrow because borrowing is still a bad deal for the borrower.

More than ever the government needs to regulate the out-of-control credit card industry to get the spreads back down to reasonable levels. At this stage, with the banks paying depositors as little as 1/10 of 1% on savings, and borrowing from the Federal Reserve for as little as 0%, there is absolutely no reason why credit card rates should be any higher than 4% for most borrowers, and up to 10% for riskier borrowers. Instead, many credit card companies have raised credit card rates to 20% to 35%.

I'm amazed that people aren't demanding that the banks lower the credit card rates to below 10% - after all they are using our (practically free) taxpayer money to attempt to loan us our money back, and then wanting massive premiums (that are higher than ordinary income tax rates) to do so.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 PM

329 posts, read 1,529,208 times
Great post... i heard valley national bank has very competetive mortgage rates....haven't tried them.

i am sick of wells fargo , bank of america and all that crap people...greedy bastards.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Thing is, never before in the history of banking have banks charged so much interest on credit cards. At the same time, banks have never been able to pay so little on deposits to savers, or borrow money so cheaply from other banks or the Federal Reserve. The end result is that the spread on what banks have to pay, and what they charge, is at an ASTRONOMICAL, ALL TIME HIGH. Banks are gouging consumers and engaging in USURIOUS practices with credit cards.

This has also spilled over into auto loans, business loans, and all sorts of other loans. Any wonder that people with good credit aren't borrowing ? Why would anyone who doesn't need to borrow willingly pay such high rates to these banks and financial companies for credit ? The answer is that they are refusing to borrow because borrowing is still a bad deal for the borrower.

More than ever the government needs to regulate the out-of-control credit card industry to get the spreads back down to reasonable levels. At this stage, with the banks paying depositors as little as 1/10 of 1% on savings, and borrowing from the Federal Reserve for as little as 0%, there is absolutely no reason why credit card rates should be any higher than 4% for most borrowers, and up to 10% for riskier borrowers. Instead, many credit card companies have raised credit card rates to 20% to 35%.

I'm amazed that people aren't demanding that the banks lower the credit card rates to below 10% - after all they are using our (practically free) taxpayer money to attempt to loan us our money back, and then wanting massive premiums (that are higher than ordinary income tax rates) to do so.
JG183 - Tony Soprano is offering ''better terms" than Visa and Mastercard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey