Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,578 times

Advertisements

Can anyone who lives in a town home in Manalapan / Marlboro area tell me what the maintenance fees are and how much they have gone up since you’ve been living there? Also, can you tell me the pros and cons of living in a town home? I’m thinking of moving to the area and can’t decide on a single family or town home. I like the idea of not having to maintain the outside of the property but at the same time, I don’t know if the extra fees and being attached is worth it. Please let me now your honest opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 11:26 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,091 times
I can tell you that we are planning on moving to Oak Ridge - which is a townhome community in Manalapan off of Pension Rd. The maintenance fees are between $190 and $220/month, I guess depending on the size of the unit - and possibly an end unit is more.

We haven't moved in yet, but for us it seems like it's worth it to not have to deal with the headache of maintenance.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:49 PM

208 posts, read 852,860 times
I think it depends on your personal opinion Monack. I don't like maintaining a home because it's a lot of work and I find myself spending every weekend fixing things both inside and outside of the home, so I would more than welcome townhome living and pay the fee. However, my husband loves maintaining a home and having more space, having a yard, garage, etc. and he is more than happy to do the maintenance and not have a fee.
Being in real estate, my husband and I do tend to push single families only because we feel there are tax benefits, no maintenance fees, you have more say in the community, and no limits on what you can do to your home. There's also usually more room to grow in a single family as opposed to a townhome. As for money though, you can probably get a much larger townhome than you can single family. Have you guys checked out something Pointe or Pointe something in Manalapan off Rt 9? That's a really nice community.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:16 PM

For us as well, beside the fact that we had pretty much limited our search to townhomes because of the maintenance issue (and both hubby and I are in agreement - we do not want to deal with exterior maintenance), we also see it as a way to be able to buy into Manalapan - we cannot afford a single family home of the same size in a similar type of community.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:42 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian Mason View Post
I think it depends on your personal opinion Monack. I don't like maintaining a home because it's a lot of work and I find myself spending every weekend fixing things both inside and outside of the home, so I would more than welcome townhome living and pay the fee. However, my husband loves maintaining a home and having more space, having a yard, garage, etc. and he is more than happy to do the maintenance and not have a fee.
Being in real estate, my husband and I do tend to push single families only because we feel there are tax benefits, no maintenance fees, you have more say in the community, and no limits on what you can do to your home. There's also usually more room to grow in a single family as opposed to a townhome. As for money though, you can probably get a much larger townhome than you can single family. Have you guys checked out something Pointe or Pointe something in Manalapan off Rt 9? That's a really nice community.
Do you mean Town Pointe? They have no garages, and I have been in one of those , kind of small. I'm sure the price is lower thogh/ The development where I lived, was in walking distance from there.

Diane G

Old 11-01-2008, 09:57 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,659 times
Dealing with the association is more work than maintaining a home! Ive had numerous problems with my condo - plumbing, heating, mice, roaches - nothing was done until 10 phone calls and complaints.
Associations are a joke and a waste of money. Do it yourself and get things done alot faster and better and cheaper!!

Buy a home instead!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:10 PM

So far dealing with the association that I am buying into has been a very pleasant experience - and I haven't even signed on the dotted line yet.

Wouldn't plumbing, heating and pest control be a unit owners responsibility anyway?

Old 11-02-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Do you mean Town Pointe? They have no garages, and I have been in one of those , kind of small. I'm sure the price is lower thogh/ The development where I lived, was in walking distance from there.

Diane G
Yes, Town Pointe. I loved the high ceilings and layout of these. It's also good for commuters because you have the bus right there or people who don't drive because they can walk to shops.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian Mason View Post
My first sentence was not directed at you Monack...sorry about that. It's for the OP...I wasn't seeing straight

Old 11-02-2008, 02:14 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
So far dealing with the association that I am buying into has been a very pleasant experience - and I haven't even signed on the dotted line yet.

Wouldn't plumbing, heating and pest control be a unit owners responsibility anyway?
Plumbing - Our sink was backing up all the time. It was due to an owner upstairs who installed a laundry machine (which is illegal) and connected it to the pipes. Once they ran it, it clogged our plumbing.

Heating - Our association liked to wait until December to turn on the heat in the building. After complaints to the 'Heat agency' - who did nothing we had to buy portable heaters. Imagine having newborn twins in 30 degree weather with no heat.

Pest control - Basement was full of roaches and mice. They crawl up into the units through pipes.

All 3 are Association controlled. Be aware of these things people!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey