Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:26 PM

17 posts, read 62,545 times

Advertisements

Hi, Can you please recommend the best pre-school amongst the three -
1) Rainbow academy, rutherford
2_ bright horizons, lyndhurst
3) Community school in Nutley(100 vincent place)

I am concerned about the following in pre-schools
1) safety and care
2) learning and kid's enjoyment in school

Thanks very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
How old are your children?

I used Bright Horizon's in Lyndhurst for years and loved them, but I left because the "learning" aspect was just not happening anymore. The safety and care was great, but when the kids got a little bigger I did not feel they were getting anywhere on an academic level. We left for Harmony in Secaucus and I loved them.

I did learn that there can be a big difference between for profit and not for profit centers. In BH the kids would be "moved" into a new room to accomodate a waiting list (hence, to make $$$). In Harmony, this was not the case. If you were 3, you went into Pre-K3 in September and you stayed there through August of the next year. I liked that. In BH I was told my eldest was 'ready' for PK-3 when she was 2 1/2. OK. Then a mere 7 months later, they were putting her in PK-4. Not only her, but about 4 other classmates. Several kids from pre-K 4 were moving to "kindergarten." This was all done because there were wait lists in the lower grades and changes had to be made to accomodate them at our kids expense. With that said, it was a wonderful place for both my kids when they were younger.

I have visited Rainbow Academy and was very impressed, although I have no experience with it from the inside. I am not familiar with the school in Nutley.

Are you open to any others in the area or are these your final choices.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:54 PM

17 posts, read 62,545 times
I am definitely open to others in the area. We will move to NJ early Nov so we just shortlisted based on onlien reviews. Daughter will be 4 in Dec. Do you think BH will be ok? I am concerned about the learning aspect in BH I read so many comments that kids don't learn there. I will check for Harmony in Secaucus. Thanks so much and would really appreciate if you have suggestion for other pre-schools.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:18 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmamon View Post
Hi, Can you please recommend the best pre-school amongst the three -
1) Rainbow academy, rutherford
2_ bright horizons, lyndhurst
3) Community school in Nutley(100 vincent place)

I am concerned about the following in pre-schools
1) safety and care
2) learning and kid's enjoyment in school

Thanks very much in advance.
I worked as a teacher and later as a director in one of the Rainbow Academy centers for years and HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

The programs are wonderful and filled with learning and age appropriate fun. They will give you daily and weekly communication so you know exactly what your child is learning and the skills that are being covered. Plus then you can carry it over to discussions at home.

I've done the on line tour of Rainbow Academy in Rutherford and it's absolutely gorgeous!!

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Lots of luck!!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times
Community in Nutley is great. Most of the people I know in that town have put their children there. I would've as well, but it was a little on the pricey side. However, I do know it's got a wonderful reputation. Never heard of the other two.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:30 PM

I have also heard good things (but I have no first hand experience with) East Rutherford Montessori.

I really liked Harmony in Secaucus. My youngest left there about 4 yrs ago, but had they had a K-8 I would have stayed there forever.

Another you may want to check out is Sabrina's Education Station in East Rutherford (right over the border from Rutherford) I have heard positive feedback from some parents there. I toured the facility and it was beautiful (as is Rainbow Academy in Rutherford.)

Let me talk to some of my friends with younger children in the area and I will get back to you. Your child will be totally safe at BH, but I would not really put much faith in the "learning" aspect.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:34 PM

OK... some quick feedback (and things I remembered!)

I would avoid The Meadows School at all costs... BAD experience there. Basically left the place in tears telling my husband we went with Bright Horizon's or I was not returning to work bad.

My friend said New Fountain in Rutherford should also be avoided as it was in the local papers that a child wandered off through a back door and was found a few blocks away about 1 yr ago. (Not good.)

I've gotten 2 + reviews from parents about Rutherford Montessori and 2 negative reviews. All say the education was good, 2 were not happy about the administration. (Rutherford Montessori School)

All feedback for East Rutherford Montessori seems good though. (Can't find a website)

A few have recommended Small Blessings which is part of Sacred Heart School in Lyndhurst. (Can't find a website for the pre-school, but here is the schools: Sacred Heart Catholic School - Lyndhurst, NJ 07071 (http://www.sacredheartlynd.org/school/index.html - broken link))

I have heard positive things about The Learning Express in Rutherford. I did tour there when my child was younger, I recall being very impressed, but at the time the facility was just far too small, they have since expanded. (Toddler Day Care Year Round for your child in Rutherford NJ)

Community School in Nutley was liked by my friend (who left last year because of relocation.)

And I did get some feedback from Sabrina's Education Station in East Rutherford that was positive as well. (Home Page)

If you can extend your search to Secaucus, I'd out Harmony. I was very happy there, and unless things have changed, I think you will be too. I liked that they had a full-time office assistant (so the director could do other things) and a FT nurse (always good). (Harmony Early Learning Center - Secaucus, NJ) Home (http://www.harmonyearlylearningcenter.com/home/ - broken link)

Old 06-17-2009, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 12,969 times
Hello, I am considering The Meadow's School in Rutherford but I noticed EEPNJ said to avoid it. I only work two days per week and the other schools mostly all require a three day minimum and have set part-time schedules. The Meadow's School was much more flexible. Any feedback would be so greatly appreciated.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 12,735 times
We are considering Meadow's school in rutherford. Any comments/recommendations?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 PM

I had such a horrible experience at the Meadows School that I could never comfortably recommend it to anyone. I'm talking out of state ratio, children left unattended, a baby in a swing for HOURS.... just horrifying. I'd really look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey