Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:48 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,303,581 times

Advertisements

Recently the third building at the Beacon complex, The Mercury, sold 5 units. These units range in price from $850,000 to $1.2 million. So there are still people who can actually afford it, not like most of the nay sayers on this thread, that are willing to buy a place at the Beacon. Sarah Jessica Parker did a photo shoot for a major fashion magazine at the Beacon a couple of weeks ago. How many magazines are doing photo shoots where you live? Let me guess, not many. The Montgomery Projects will be coming down faster than Duncan because the Montgomery demolition is a partnership between the government and private developers. Still, it will take 5 years to get it done, but I didn't buy a the Beacon to flip it, I bought there to live there. When Montgomery Gardens comes down there will be mixed income housing and retail in its place. I don't want to call anyone names either, I understand there are a lot of people in Jersey City that the gentification of the city has passed by.Mod cutYes there is violence in the areas around the Beacon complex, but that is true downtown too. Try going through Van Vorst Park late at night. This is a big city. To denigrate our home because the area around it has problems brought about by institutionalized poverty, racism, and the failed drug war, is unfair. Every area of the city has some crime, so what. If you are that afraid you should move to the suburbs. And by the way, I'm not a realtor. I work at a law firm in NYC. I report on this thread how it is to actually live at the Beacon, and what I see from the inside and walking the perimiter, and an occassional walk to Journal Square. What most of you are saying, since you don't live there, or even near it, is speculation on what it must be like, Mod cutnot how it is.

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-01-2010 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Rude, unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times
I like the Beacon , it shows that we can reuse a Building for Different Purposes. And i think the area around it has great potential. Although its too expensive for me , i think alot people who want a great apt and view would move there.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:51 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,638,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Recently the third building at the Beacon complex, The Mercury, sold 5 units. These units range in price from $850,000 to $1.2 million. So there are still people who can actually afford it, not like most of the nay sayers on this thread, that are willing to buy a place at the Beacon. Sarah Jessica Parker did a photo shoot for a major fashion magazine at the Beacon a couple of weeks ago. How many magazines are doing photo shoots where you live? Let me guess, not many. The Montgomery Projects will be coming down faster than Duncan because the Montgomery demolition is a partnership between the government and private developers. Still, it will take 5 years to get it done, but I didn't buy a the Beacon to flip it, I bought there to live there. When Montgomery Gardens comes down there will be mixed income housing and retail in its place. I don't want to call anyone names either, I understand there are a lot of people in Jersey City that the gentification of the city has passed by.Mod cutYes there is violence in the areas around the Beacon complex, but that is true downtown too. Try going through Van Vorst Park late at night. This is a big city. To denigrate our home because the area around it has problems brought about by institutionalized poverty, racism, and the failed drug war, is unfair. Every area of the city has some crime, so what. If you are that afraid you should move to the suburbs. And by the way, I'm not a realtor. I work at a law firm in NYC. I report on this thread how it is to actually live at the Beacon, and what I see from the inside and walking the perimiter, and an occassional walk to Journal Square. What most of you are saying, since you don't live there, or even near it, is speculation on what it must be like, Mod cutnot how it is.
You left one thing out. YOU FAILED TO MENTION THE FORECLOSURES in this beautiful enclave surrounded by crime.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
You left one thing out. YOU FAILED TO MENTION THE FORECLOSURES in this beautiful enclave surrounded by crime.
Its not really that dangerous of a part of Jersey City. Its average city crime area , minor stuff. But once the economy picks up again that will go down.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,638,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its not really that dangerous of a part of Jersey City. Its average city crime area , minor stuff. But once the economy picks up again that will go down.
Nexis I'm involved with crime stats. They have dropped dramtically and have nothing to do with the recent recession. These articles and stats are at your fingertips. Murder and violent crime is the lowest in 40 years.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:17 PM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Nexis I'm involved with crime stats. They have dropped dramtically and have nothing to do with the recent recession. These articles and stats are at your fingertips. Murder and violent crime is the lowest in 40 years.
Yes but really that entire area..Baldwin, Summit, Clifton Place, Montgomery has always been pretty seedy looking since the early 70's...I hope it's on the up swing....

What did they ever make out of the old Fairmount Hospital being as the Beacon is the old JC medical center..and all the facilities on Clifton Place, the old nurses residences, Pollack Hospital...what are they now

Old 03-02-2010, 12:40 PM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times
Sour grapes from the working poor

I don't think it's that at all but hey knock your socks off if you can afford to pay that and be surrounded by decrepit crumbling buildings & projects & crime..but I see your point as you would need a lot more then that to buy in NYC.....So in essence the Beacon is the answer to those that can only dream about buying something comparable across the river
And Sarah jessica Parker doing a photo shoot would not entice me to buy...I'm sure I can google and find photo shoots done in rat holes.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 PM

592 posts, read 2,189,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Are you kidding? that area right around the beacon is terrible, it's next to two of the worst projects. Why dont you walk outside at night and tell me if it's bad or not. There is no neighborhood to speak of, and most people living there never venture outside of the building on foot, they either make a mad dash for the 78 ramp, or take the shuttle to the path train.

Jersey city overall is bad, however there are a few bubble areas that's extremely safe and better than a lot of neighborhoods.

1)DOWNTOWN:
- Newport / exchange place(paulus hook) - best area in JC very safe, you can walk anywhere, surrounded by restaurants, supermarket, shopping mall, target/bestbuy etc. And steps to both the light rail and path.
- Grove / hamilton park/vanvorst - Also good area, lots restaurants but more old-fashion with smaller mom-pop stores, and lowrises.

2) JSQ PATH
- *north* of JSQ PATH, by st johns condo and the new canco loft. Obviously not as safe/good as the area mentioned above, but pricewise a lot cheaper than downtown, and you got the little indian street there too. Definitely as potential as economy picks up. And it's close to jsq path.

I really would not pick any other area if you want to move to jc, because they all suck.

For even cheaper prices, look towards bayonne (south of jersey city) around 30-40th street, it's a pure commuter town, but safe and has light rail, so commute wise pretty good. Otherwise you have to move further out and start using the njtransit trains or buses...

Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 PM

11 posts, read 46,430 times
I really can't understand why so many people love to trash The Beacon. After all, this isn't a case where a developer came in and ruined the fabric of an existing neighborhood, tore down historic structures, threw artists or low-income people out. It's a company that came in and restored historic structures, attracted hundreds of residents to the area and helped generate revenue for the city. They've turned underutilized, empty buildings into an actual residential community that can only benefit the city. The more people you attract to that area, the better the area will eventually get as more services will start to show up to cater to the new residents. Now they're talking about building a 66,000 square-foot children's destination center within The Beacon that will be open to the public. How is that a bad thing? If it's not for you, it's not for you. But so far, more than 500 people think it's been the right choice for them, and they seem to be pretty happy about living there.

Even the mainstream media, which loves to attack real estate, is picking up on it. Check out some of the latest coverage:

The Bonus Bounce - NYTimes.com
Mercury rising
http://www.metro.us/us/article/2010/03/03/02/0334-82/index.xml
Mod cut

Since when is it insane to be somewhat of a pioneer and move into an emerging neighborhood to take advantage of opportunities? Haven't people been doing that forever on both sides of the river? The Beacon is a very unique place, and the new building has huge lofts for prices that don't exist in NYC. I love the fact that people are buying there and hope they continue to open more buildings and bring in more retail. It's good for everyone.

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-04-2010 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: No links to blogs.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:58 PM

747 posts, read 2,761,694 times
I don't think people are against the Beacon, real estate development or urban rejuvenation per se, but people probably do take offense to the possibility of anyone with a vested interest (realtors, developers, owners, etc.) spreading misinformation for their own economic benefit.

Like you said, development and growth of any city's less agreeable parts would be "good for everyone" but that does not allow anyone in the RE business to ignore any issues or mislead unsuspecting folk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey