Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:53 AM

119 posts, read 553,051 times

Advertisements

I found out about a mortgage program through Bank of America called the "no fee mortgage plus" program.

Does anyone have this?

Its a program where you need to have a credit score above 680 to qualify, and I think you need to put at least 5% down on the house.

I was just quoted everything about it and am curious to learn if anyone has it and whether there are any catches to the program.

According to Bank of America, the bank pays all your closing costs and you do not pay PMI through the program. Their interest rate right now is a little higher than some other banks I've called, but the monthly payment is the lowest since we would not be paying PMI (mortgage insurance).

Thanks everyone. These forums are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 07:58 AM

222 posts, read 779,653 times
How come you put down only 5% and do not need to pay PMI? A little bit strange for me... From what I know, if you put less than 20%, you do need to pay PMI. Maybe I do not know much enough...

Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,672,300 times
That's the one I've got - you might be able to negotiate a better rate btw

The only thing I owed at closing was the remainder of my downpayment, which (sense I was above 5%, and negotiated after home inspection) the seller put up. You can still do this, you just can't dip below 5% of your own money with seller's concessions.

If you have other BofA accounts, you might also qualify for a different type of checking account (interest bearing - minimal, but interest nonetheless) as well as brokerage account (discounted trades).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
How come you put down only 5% and do not need to pay PMI? A little bit strange for me... From what I know, if you put less than 20%, you do need to pay PMI. Maybe I do not know much enough...
PMI is something the bank requires. This program bypasses that requirement if you qualify.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:02 AM

119 posts, read 553,051 times
Quote:
The way Bank of America explained it to me is that this is some sort of special program that they offer for people that qualify with the credit score above 680, etc. They said they've been offering the program for the past 16 months and they did it to boost their mortgage business. He said that Bank of America was rated as #1 in home mortgages last year and its partly because of this program they have. I guess they think people with excellent credit and 5% down aren't risky.

I don't really know though. This is all just a guess and my opinion.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:22 AM

26 posts, read 135,319 times
Read this article.
Realty Times - Real Estate News and Advice

Old 03-12-2008, 08:26 AM

35 posts, read 228,849 times
I have the same program...they covered all fees in the end...even my legal was inculded (which I didn't think was covered so that was $750 back in my pocket)...also no PMI....its a great program if you don't have alot to put down. I actual caught the program right before they wanted 5% and was offering no money down, but I still put 10% down anyway. I think the only catch is that the interest rate is a little higher then other rates cause that's how BOA makes their money for covering all fees...but I had my seller pay down points so I still got a very good rate.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,143,650 times
Quote:
PMI can be covered with a slightly higher interest rate. LPMI=lender paid mortgage insurance.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 AM

786 posts, read 2,665,053 times
This is great info....we're gonna need a good mortgage if we settle for that home in watchung...thanks!!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,672,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheesesteak View Post
I think the only catch is that the interest rate is a little higher then other rates cause that's how BOA makes their money for covering all fees
Thats a typical no-fee gimmick, but not the BofA rates. If you apply for a standard mortgage, you'll see the same rates.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:58 AM

786 posts, read 2,665,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Thats a typical no-fee gimmick, but not the BofA rates. If you apply for a standard mortgage, you'll see the same rates.
Yeah, BOA is typically expensive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey