Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,418 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am sure this discussion has been brought about before but perhaps an updated one would be great.

I am trying to find out which counties or even towns have the cheapest P.Taxes.

NEAR NYC would be great.

Monmouth and middlesex and somerset would be ideal.

Anyone have any idea of the cheapest areas for 2015?

any help will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 07:14 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
This thread won't give you the simple answer that you may want, but very useful:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...tax-rates.html

Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,816,907 times
Is there a law in NJ that limits the annual increase in real estate taxes? For example in MA taxes are assessed by the town (we have town government, not county) and is limited to 2.5% over the previous year unless of course you built an addition that increased the assessed value of your home. I know taxes are increasing all over the Northeast, but the rate at which it's increasing in NJ seems insane!

Old 06-15-2015, 08:59 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Is there a law in NJ that limits the annual increase in real estate taxes? For example in MA taxes are assessed by the town (we have town government, not county) and is limited to 2.5% over the previous year unless of course you built an addition that increased the assessed value of your home. I know taxes are increasing all over the Northeast, but the rate at which it's increasing in NJ seems insane!
There is a 2% max increase, but there are some exceptions that the legislature forced into the bill in order to pass it. Even with the exceptions, my property taxes have increased much more slowly than before the bill was passed.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:35 PM

148 posts, read 220,495 times
The only way to resolve the prop tax issue is to Merge Municipalities (employees) and a local PERS reform. Both of these aspects are draining the municipal budget's. If these property taxes keep increasing drastically residents will simply move out.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:04 PM

38 posts, read 59,522 times
Are there some counties that charge less taxes than others?
I would think any county and towns near NYC right?

I guess I would need to find out on the tax rate as well before I make the move anywhere in NJ

Old 08-16-2015, 06:56 PM

13 posts, read 11,658 times
Default stay away from middletown, nj

property taxes are sky rocketing, this place is ridiculous - more government, more taxes...just absolutely awful...they are raping the middle class, tax hikes have exceeded the 2.5% cap. This town is a future pensioner's dream.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:44 AM

527 posts, read 1,409,051 times
Property taxes are very town dependent.
It is very difficult and probably worthless to know that one of those counties has taxes less than the others.

I can tell you that in Somerset county, Branchburg is the lowest, with Bridgewater the 2nd lowest.
Towns like Bound Brook have very high taxes.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:08 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
There is a 2% max increase, but there are some exceptions that the legislature forced into the bill in order to pass it. Even with the exceptions, my property taxes have increased much more slowly than before the bill was passed.
The 2% max increase only applies to the *municipal* portion of your tax bill. Your school taxes and county taxes are not capped. And in NJ it's the school taxes that make up the bulk your tax bill. In my town the school taxes are around 60% of the total tax bill. Bottom line, your total tax bill in any given year can easily soar above a 2% increase.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:02 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The 2% max increase only applies to the *municipal* portion of your tax bill. Your school taxes and county taxes are not capped. And in NJ it's the school taxes that make up the bulk your tax bill. In my town the school taxes are around 60% of the total tax bill. Bottom line, your total tax bill in any given year can easily soar above a 2% increase.
No, the school portion is included in the cap. But, there are exceptions, again, that the democrats in the legislature forced into the bill in order for it to be passed. Still a lot better than the 7% increases under Corzine.

Quote:
Towns, county governments and school boards in New Jersey can exceed the tax-hike limit for spending on debt payments, public employee benefits and response to disasters. And the cap also doesn’t capture many special fees that some towns have been levying for services such as trash removal that get around the limit.
Here is the full article...

N.J. property tax bills increased by more than 2 percent last year, now top $8,000 - News - NorthJersey.com

And here is one from 2010 when it went into effect.
Quote:
When towns and schools starved of revenue want to raise taxes higher, they will have to get permission from a majority of local voters — something foes warn will widen the chasm between rich and poor communities.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...percent_p.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: