Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,787 times

Advertisements

My family and I are preparing to move to SC, and I was curious if anyone else out there is planning to move south, too. Why are you leaving our great (haha) state?? Our reasons: lower rents, cheaper cost of living, warmer weather, no more car inspection hassles, among other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
We plan on buying something in the Savannah GA, Bluffton SC area for the winters and keeping something small up here as well.

If you are not retired those lower rents, cheaper cost of living also for the most part come with cheaper salaries...it's all relative

Old 12-16-2008, 12:55 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Would love to move south, or west, or even further..........can't do it right now.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 20,008 times
If you want to leave, just leave. Don't have to be nasty on your way out. Are you really asking this question to get a response or are you just trying to stir up a reaction? It's not all that hard to come up with a pretty compelling list of reasons to stay in or move to NJ.

No more car inspections? Is that really in your top 5?

Typically your lower rent and cheaper cost of living would be accompanied with a lower income. Hopefully that won't be the case for you. Good luck in SC.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:01 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
If you are not retired those lower rents, cheaper cost of living also for the most part come with cheaper salaries...it's all relative
I've nearly doubled my salary since I've moved south. I work in SC.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:03 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
My family and I are preparing to move to SC, and I was curious if anyone else out there is planning to move south, too. Why are you leaving our great (haha) state?? Our reasons: lower rents, cheaper cost of living, warmer weather, no more car inspection hassles, among other things.
Just some food for thought... the most important things in life don't involve money like family and happiness. Make sure you don't loose sight of that.

Good luck with your move. SC is a wonderful place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
I've nearly doubled my salary since I've moved south. I work in SC.
Banking??? For the most part that is the exception not the rule..but good for you

821 posts, read 2,038,382 times
I know a family that moved to PA thinking all is great big piece of land cheap rent/mortgage, cheaper cost of living all around they didnt count on the fact that its hard to find jobs in thier area (now its hard everywhere) and when they did find jobs it was such big diffrence. Right now they are struggling more than they ever did in Jersey.... I really wish you good Luck on your move... I know it must be exciting to be able to start fresh.... but let it be a reminder that the grass isnt always greener in another state.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
And as you drive the SC highways and byways and see some of the pieces of crap, death traps on the road you will be wishing they had car inspections

Old 12-16-2008, 01:05 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Sounds like the typical poorly thought out journey to Never Never Land that many of the people I went to high school with made. More than a few of them are back. As I stated in the car inspection post, one person I talked to is moving to Virginia so that he can ride an ATV. No plan for a job, a place to live, etc...just lots of ATV riding apparently. My very good friend's brother moved his family down to NC because they were going broke up here due to the fact that he was having a hard time finding a job. They sold their condo here, bought a house down there and banked a significant amount of money. It seems that finding a job in NC isn't much easier than in NJ and in some ways even harder. In two years they burned through the money and moved back-and now they're renting. I'll take the expensive houses and the higher taxes in exchange for living near my family, general convenience, and cold weather. Also FYI, if you take the time to do basic maintenance on your vehicle (common sense) you won't have inspection problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey