Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 01:44 AM

239 posts, read 1,141,355 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for your responses. I will definitely look into Woodbridge because my knowledge of it doesn't extend beyond the mall.

My husband and I are definitely concerned about the lack of diversity, especially since we live in London. Right now our neighbors are pretty much an equal mix of Indian, South African, Polish, Russian, Afro-Carribean and White British...and our son's toddler buddies reflect this ethnic mix, we love it.

I grew up in Plainfield in two very beautiful, large historic homes and attended the public schools until 6th grade. After that my parents insisted on sending us to Catholic school. If we could afford private school, we might consider some of the nicer areas of Plainfield, but the tuitions are much more expensive than the property taxes in Westfield. But then again, we love the idea of a good neighborhood public school more than a big fancy house.

I was hoping that the wealth of some of the Westfield residents didn't translate to "snooty-ness". I teach at a private school where many of the families are extremely wealthy and yet are amazingly down-to-earth. I am always shocked when I find out that the parents who trampled through the mud with the kids during a field trip are worth hundreds of millions of £££ or are Saudi Arabian royalty.

As you can probably surmise from our financial situation, we ordinarily would never be able to afford Westfield without my working too--thanks to the £/$ exchange rate and crazy property prices in London, we might be able to swing it.

Does anyone live in Westfield or otherwise have experience with an "uppity" vibe from the people in Westfield . A little I can handle. I would have a very hard time with that if it were really widespread. Thanks again for your help. It's very hard doing this long-distance, even with family in the area, so I do appreciate any and all comments.

Also: Are Cranford and Westfield pretty much the same?

Last edited by tiggywink; 03-04-2007 at 01:50 AM.. Reason: to add question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 10:02 AM

318 posts, read 451,044 times
I think Cranford and Westfield are pretty much the same. Westfield is a little bit nicer and the taxes are a little bit higher. Cranford would probably be considered a little bit more blue collar.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 PM

70 posts, read 437,931 times
I rely on this listing to help me with my search in NJ. Schools are most important and this listing is what people look at most!

http://www.njmonthly.com/topschools/hslist.lasso

Hope it helps!

Old 03-05-2007, 01:06 PM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,079,684 times
Default Westfield

We have lived in Westfield for the past 30yrs, and have loved it. We are on the southside (yes, it's a bit less expensive) and the kids have had a great education in a safe neighborhood. There is lots of $ in the town, and as with anywhere else, people tend to flaunt it in different ways, or not at all. Years ago, it was common for WHS to get new (expensive) cars as gifts for their graduation, then it progressed to getting the cars at Junior year license time, and now it's often for their 16th birthday to practice driving with. Ridiculous...many kids here have an entitlement to their personalities.
There is some diversity, but it is basically a white neighborhood. Diversity is vital for kids to experience so that they can develop tolerance for others at an early age, and so that they can develop integrative ways early. In today's world, we handicap children by not introducing "inclusion" to them.
Taxes are high about $12K on an $800K house. Beautiful downtown to walk to and through. Cranford is almost just as lovely, only more flood zones in that town. Hope these thoughts help.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the link--seems like both Westfield and Cranford school results are about the same. Very useful information and some of the other schools in the area are just not nearly as impressive. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2007, 01:56 PM

37 posts, read 342,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggywink View Post
Thanks for the link--seems like both Westfield and Cranford school results are about the same. Very useful information and some of the other schools in the area are just not nearly as impressive. Thanks!
I like this NJ Monthly High School list as well. However, one thing I would watch out for is just because a HS is good or ranks well does not mean the elementary and middle schools perform just as well. Sure, in theory they should, but when looking at test score results, this is not always the case. See this link for school directory...NJ School Directory - School Search (http://www.state.nj.us/njded/directory/schools.shtml - broken link).

One thing I noticed is that Westfield's elementary and middle school test results are not as strong and impressive as their HS results (when compared to results of some of the other elementary and middle schools). They aren't bad and definitely above state average but wouldn't be ranked as the best. Of course test data is not everything - I would actually visit the schools if you can, talk to the principal, and find out what programs are in the schools, what philosophy of teaching is used in the school, etc.

Another place to get data about towns is Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed There is a comment written by someone re: Westfield that bothered me a bit...of course, this is one person's opinion but it has me a little concerned (we are also considering Westfield).

As far as Cranford, from my research it definitely looks more affordable than Westfield, downtown is nice although not as fancy, and the schools are fairly good although probably not as strong as Westfield's overall (although close).

Have you looked into Madison at all? (in Morris county). It fits a lot of your criteria - strong performing schools (at all levels), very nice walkable downtown, good place for families, a little cheaper than Westfield (at least according - see median housing prices - $592,000 for Madison, $668,000 for Westfield, $457,000 for Cranford), and lower taxes. I don't think Madison is very diverse, although neither are Westfield and Cranford, according to town stats.

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 11-13-2020 at 01:19 AM..

Old 03-05-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsV View Post
We have lived in Westfield for the past 30yrs, and have loved it. We are on the southside (yes, it's a bit less expensive) and the kids have had a great education in a safe neighborhood. There is lots of $ in the town, and as with anywhere else, people tend to flaunt it in different ways, or not at all. Years ago, it was common for WHS to get new (expensive) cars as gifts for their graduation, then it progressed to getting the cars at Junior year license time, and now it's often for their 16th birthday to practice driving with. Ridiculous...many kids here have an entitlement to their personalities.
There is some diversity, but it is basically a white neighborhood. Diversity is vital for kids to experience so that they can develop tolerance for others at an early age, and so that they can develop integrative ways early. In today's world, we handicap children by not introducing "inclusion" to them.
Taxes are high about $12K on an $800K house. Beautiful downtown to walk to and through. Cranford is almost just as lovely, only more flood zones in that town. Hope these thoughts help.
How did I miss this post? Yes! This is very useful information and I can only hope that our son won't even consider getting a new car his "right" when the time comes because he'll already know that the answer will be "no way". Surely that's down to parenting and family values (he's only 2--so we haven't had to deal with the "big stuff" yet).

I like the idea of living on the South side because of the ability to walk to the HS too--therefore no car needed!

MsV. do you have any ideas or experience as to how to expose kids to diversity while living in Westfield? I guess we would have to search out friends/classes/groups in other neighborhoods. Because my husband is British we will be travelling back to London regularly to visit his family and I hope that would help somewhat.

Thanks for your help,

Old 03-05-2007, 02:29 PM

Thank you Emily--great links! I am not too worried about elementary schools--re test scores--they're not the thing that makes kids happy, want to learn, enjoy school, etc. A school is so much more than test scores (though they are important)--what I like though is the idea that the High School has a college-bound ambience and course offerings to support that--I was mainly looking at the percentages of grads going to college. At the private school where I teach it's "cool" to be smart in the HS and I was hoping for a little of that.

I was so disappointed to read the comment made on that site against Westfield. I hate that so much. I don't know how to combat the lack of diversity but it's a tradeoff we might be willing to make for the schools and other features.

I just watched a DVD--can't remember the title though and downtown Madison was used in the filming--it was so beautiful and I thought--hmmm that looks familiar. As I mentioned in an earlier post my husband will be working in the Woodbridge area and living in Madison would add 20 miles each way (but not that much real commuting time) to his journey every day. (only 8 miles from Westfield, 28 from Madison). We did look in that area a year or so ago, now I'm going to consider it again.

Emily you seem to be doing a lot of research, are you leaning towards Westfield--what are your other top possibilities?

Last edited by tiggywink; 03-05-2007 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 03-05-2007, 09:43 PM

157 posts, read 780,661 times
Hi all- I just wanted to put a plug in for Westfield. I have lived here for over 8 years and LOVE it. We are unfortunately being transferred, and I am soooo very sad, but do plan to return ASAP.

I am a stay at home mom, with 2 kids- preschool and 1st grade- so I may be interested in some of the same things you are...

Yes the houses are pricey, but there is so much in return. Where I am I can (and do) walk to preschool, elementary school, town park, library, train station and downtown. Our quality of life in fall/ spring/ summer is amazing because of that. There are many great preschools, the elementary schools are great, and I have only heard the most amazing things about the high school. (The parents are very supportive and active in the schools)

Yes there is money here, but frankly in my life- I do not really encounter snobbiness, or flaunting of money. In fact, just the opposite, most I know are very down to earth and friendly.

The town is full of young families. There is an active and fun newcomer's club. The town pool is great for families, and a good social for moms. The town library is nice- and hosts nice events for kids. There are great downtown events for kids: parade, festivals, halloween activities, jazz nights in the summer, etc.

The downtown is great for shopping (I never go to the mall). There are great child friendly restaurants downtown- with outside seating in nice weather.

True, there is not much diversity- but the people I know are sophisticated and open minded for the most part, so hopefully their children will turn out the same. Westfield is full of people from NY- and many of them still work there.

I really can't say enough. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:25 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
I agree with Bob. Ask yourself if you really need to live in such a place. I say this because I made the mistake of renting in Montclair this year. FABULOUS Montclair, or Monty as the locals lovingly call it, is probably Essex County's equivalent to Westfield. Its "main street" area is lined with the most highly acclaimed restaurants in North Jersey, boutique shops, and art galleries. I suppose that's fun and exciting, and the cost of living is certainly high here. But do I need to be surrounded by fabulous fine dining and art? I've decided "no." In 8 months I haven't been to more than 3 or 4 of the restaurants here.

I'd rather have a convenience store on my street open 24-hours. I'd rather have a grocery store in walking distance that ISN'T Whole Foods (who can afford to shop there all the time?). I'd rather have really good and cheap Thai take-out. I'd rather have a dollar store where I can get cheap necessities fast. Montclair Center doesn't offer these things.

Unfortunately my roommate and I, fed up with not finding what we wanted in Jersey City, took a quick look around elsewhere in North Jersey, drove through Montclair and said "this seems OK enough" and signed a lease. We didn't realize the culture we were getting into here. We're both from working class backgrounds and the WASPY "holier than thou" millionaire stepford wife attitude is too much to take. I'd caution that Westfield has a lot of the same. To me, Westfield just feels like Menlo Park Mall carved up and placed on a "Main Street." I ask, would I get more use out of a Banana Republic on my main street or a Quick Chek? I'd rather have the Quick Chek.

Westfield and Montclair are fun places to go once in awhile, but to live with it all the time? Ask yourself if it's worth the price. There are plenty of towns that have downtown areas with all of the services, shops, and non-gourmet/non-topchef food one needs. To me those things are more necessary and hence more valuable.

Sorry for the ramble. I don't mean to discourage you from choosing Westfield (or Montclair) if it offers the type of lifestyle you desire, but that lifestyle isn't necessarily right or best for everyone IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey