Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:04 PM

47 posts, read 122,833 times

Advertisements

Hello...

Thinking about moving to NJ from bx, ny...Can anyone suggest some diverse areas for families...considering Robbinsville...any other suggestions would be helpful...Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 03:24 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Start with these counties.

Races in Passaic County, New Jersey:
White Non-Hispanic (51.5%)
Hispanic (30.0%)
Other race (16.2%)
Black (13.2%)
Two or more races (4.0%)
Asian Indian (1.7%)
Filipino (0.8%)
American Indian (0.8%)

Races in Essex County, New Jersey:
Black (41.2%)
White Non-Hispanic (37.6%)
Hispanic (15.4%)
Other race (6.9%)
Two or more races (3.4%)
Asian Indian (1.1%)
Filipino (1.0%)
Chinese (0.9%)
American Indian (0.6%)

Races in Hudson County, New Jersey:
Hispanic (39.8%)
White Non-Hispanic (35.3%)
Other race (15.5%)
Black (13.5%)
Two or more races (5.6%)
Asian Indian (3.4%)
Filipino (3.1%)
Chinese (1.2%)
American Indian (0.8%)
Other Asian (0.7%)
Korean (0.5%)

Old 12-30-2008, 03:45 PM

208 posts, read 853,320 times
I'd start with what you do for work, do you have a job in NJ or would you need to commute back to NY? Robbinsville is a nice area but not what I'd consider diverse. It would be ideal if you worked in Princeton to live there, but not if you needed to commute to NYC.
Once you have the job situation under control, if you figure Middlesex County works for you, I'd recommend East Brunswick. I live here now and it's a good mix of different ethnicities and religions. It also has Blue Ribbon Schools if you have children.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:54 PM

47 posts, read 122,833 times
Thank you so much for the information...

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,058,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayopac View Post
Hello...

Thinking about moving to NJ from bx, ny...Can anyone suggest some diverse areas for families...considering Robbinsville...any other suggestions would be helpful...Thanks..
If you are looking in this area, I agree with Jillian Mason, Robbinsville is a really nice town, but not so diverse.
You might also look at Plainsboro (Middlesex Co.) or West Windsor (Mercer Co.) Good schools and very diverse.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
If you are looking in this area, I agree with Jillian Mason, Robbinsville is a really nice town, but not so diverse.
You might also look at Plainsboro (Middlesex Co.) or West Windsor (Mercer Co.) Good schools and very diverse.
I second West Windsor and Plainsboro. Best schools and very diverse. Robbinsville is nice too, but not as diverse, although that is changing.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:46 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Default interesting responses

When I read that question about diversity I'm thinking access to the outdoors near a citified town. Diversified environment and family activities.

Otherwise the question makes no sense to me as it is posed. What on earth qualifies as "diversity for families"? Is that a new code word for something? A politically correct way of asking about areas to avoid?

Responders felt the question had to do with ethnicities and religion and the poster validated this.

Where would one go in this state and not be exposed to cultural and ethnic diversity except in well define micro ethnic enclaves?

Guess the question struck me as odd. Retrospectively, I'm thinking the question might be valid in Idaho or Iraq in terms of ethnicity and culture but certainly not NJ.
The responders sort of enabled the thought/image that you would have to go to very select places to find 'diversity' in NJ.

Small state, largest population density, home to multiple corporate world headquarters living in the shadow of NYC and Philly. A corridor state that just about everyone has to pass through on a north-south route to DC, Boston and points south. NJ is the US capitol of Political Correctness. Diversity?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:13 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
When I read that question about diversity I'm thinking access to the outdoors near a citified town. Diversified environment and family activities.

Otherwise the question makes no sense to me as it is posed. What on earth qualifies as "diversity for families"? Is that a new code word for something? A politically correct way of asking about areas to avoid?

Responders felt the question had to do with ethnicities and religion and the poster validated this.

Where would one go in this state and not be exposed to cultural and ethnic diversity except in well define micro ethnic enclaves?

Guess the question struck me as odd. Retrospectively, I'm thinking the question might be valid in Idaho or Iraq in terms of ethnicity and culture but certainly not NJ.
The responders sort of enabled the thought/image that you would have to go to very select places to find 'diversity' in NJ.

Small state, largest population density, home to multiple corporate world headquarters living in the shadow of NYC and Philly. A corridor state that just about everyone has to pass through on a north-south route to DC, Boston and points south. NJ is the US capitol of Political Correctness. Diversity?
Yes, diversity, as in, "Where can I go in this state where I don't have to be put through hell because I want to buy in this neighborhood? Where can I go where there are schools in which my children won't be put through racist harassment by students, or teachers, because of what they look like, what their name sounds like, or what they believe in? Where can I go where my teenage male children won't be harassed by police because they are driving a car of any type while black?" A diverse place is a place where a person can raise their children in safety and in the midst of people of all cultures who want to be around such people. The question is as valid in New Jersey as it is in Idaho or Iraq. I can tell you that there are many areas of this state I would have/have/will avoid because they do not fit these criteria.

What were you thinking this meant?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Default What?????????

Wow!

I had a feeling it was a code word.

NJ sounds like a real intolerant place to live and with few possibilities of finding a safe haven. Perhaps Disneyland would work for you.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:43 PM

43 posts, read 259,430 times
Jersey City is extremely diverse, whites (Italians, Irish, Polish, etc,), blacks, filipinos, arabics, hispanics....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey