Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 PM

403 posts, read 1,190,465 times

Advertisements

Which one is Jersey more known for?

I say both. Where I am we have a pizza place run by people from Cherry Hill. While not the best pizza (probably due to the water) it beats the hell out of Dominos or Papa John's.

We also had this place called Jersey Mike's that closed down recently. Not sure if it was the meat or the bread they were using but they made some of the worst subs ever (probably explains why they closed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 08:01 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,639,323 times
Well, down here, we call 'em Hoagies (not Subs). When I lived in Massachucetts, we called 'em Grinders.

I would have to say Pizza to your original question.

Some of the best pizza I have EVER eaten is at this place called, Johnny's on King's Hwy, here in Cherry Hill.

Shanny

Old 01-24-2009, 08:15 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
probably known more for pizza, but awesome subs (NOT HOAGIES, LOL - all my IL's say that) can easily be found here. I have a great place near my house (Sub Shak - Hackettstown), but so far I have to say Gaetano's in Willingboro kicks some major a**.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:56 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Yea im from Burlington and it's Hoagie, not sub or hero or grinder or smacky whatever names people made up while they were high in a subway train eating a sandwich. Here the most popular quick food are hoagies hot or cold and pizza, and whatever u get it's better with tons of oil or grease otherwise it's typical junk u can find anywhere else in suburban America.

That's a hard question tho because hoagies are quite popular in the south (nj), especially where u have wawas everywhere. In the suburbs we order delivery and many times order all of the above from the same place.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:58 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,348,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Well, down here, we call 'em Hoagies (not Subs). When I lived in Massachucetts, we called 'em Grinders.

I would have to say Pizza to your original question.

Some of the best pizza I have EVER eaten is at this place called, Johnny's on King's Hwy, here in Cherry Hill.

Shanny

Shanny!! that is too funny about "grinders". Where in MA did you live? We lived on the Cape and in Plymouth for 6 years .It was funny when we were ordering subs one day and they said, who wants a grinder?! I laughed my assz off lol....

Old 01-24-2009, 09:00 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,348,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Which one is Jersey more known for?

I say both. Where I am we have a pizza place run by people from Cherry Hill. While not the best pizza (probably due to the water) it beats the hell out of Dominos or Papa John's.

We also had this place called Jersey Mike's that closed down recently. Not sure if it was the meat or the bread they were using but they made some of the worst subs ever (probably explains why they closed).
OMG. Jersey Mike's!! My husband ordered a steak and cheese sub there one day and he just about choked on the meat. It was all nasty grizzle..... They should have renamed the sub to a 'GRIZZLE BOMB" sub!! ew. No surprise they when out of business lol.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:05 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Try "Pats" for pizza and "Gaetanos" for hoagies !!!

Old 01-24-2009, 12:20 PM

133 posts, read 713,259 times
South Jersey is not Jersey in my opinion. More like a mixture of PA and Delaware.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:46 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by precator View Post
South Jersey is not Jersey in my opinion. More like a mixture of PA and Delaware.
historically west and east jersey were seperate states with burlington and perthamboy as the capitols but i think west has a lot more in common with the rest of jersey than it does with pa or delaware

Old 01-24-2009, 12:55 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,782 times
I'm in Cape May County in South Jersey, and the best pizza I've ever had in my life (and I've also lived in North Jersey, New York City, and Philadelphia) is here at a small joint called Soprano's. Big, floppy slices, with the perfect blend of sauce, herbs, and cheese. It's one of those things where you can't quite put your finger on exactly which ingredient is the magic ingredient... but, everything combined makes it incredible.

Down the street, there is the American Deli, and they have the best hoagies. Good, hearty, substantial rolls, great meats, cheeses, etc., you really can't go wrong no matter what you order! Having said that, I definitely recommend the Italian hoagie simply because it's my favorite. And now, my mouth is watering and I think I just might go indulge in one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey