Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 PM

4,179 posts, read 5,057,468 times

Advertisements

ok, after spending my whole life in Hudson / Bergen counties, I moved to Morris county late last year.

aside from the culture shock, I've got a roost of crows in the trees behind my house.

I love animals (e.g. I can tolerate the geese around here that crap all over my driveway), but the crowing all night long from these beasts is driving me nuts !

the neighbors tell me that the crows are migratory, and will leave soon, but I've always thought they were resident.

any comments appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,677 times
Get a scarecrow? lol...

Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,219 times
get a shot gun

Old 02-17-2009, 07:34 PM

Ha ha...that too...

Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 PM

4,179 posts, read 5,057,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
get a shot gun
in NJ ?

yeah, right...

Old 02-17-2009, 07:39 PM

Ok, well maybe you'll have to take a trip out of state to get one, bring it back here, then....oh well, who am I kidding, you're right, in NJ? lol...how about some type of poison? Btw, I thought I DM'd you but maybe I didn't do it right...you want to IM?

Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 PM

652 posts, read 1,784,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
ok, after spending my whole life in Hudson / Bergen counties, I moved to Morris county late last year.

aside from the culture shock, I've got a roost of crows in the trees behind my house.

I love animals (e.g. I can tolerate the geese around here that crap all over my driveway), but the crowing all night long from these beasts is driving me nuts !

the neighbors tell me that the crows are migratory, and will leave soon, but I've always thought they were resident.

any comments appreciated...

First; I believe that is a "murder of crows"
From what I've seen on them in England it doesn't seem to matter how many are killed the numbers always replenish by the next year. I suggest you find the moron in your neighborhood who is feeding them and kill him:-}, that way they will eventually leave when they don't have enough food to stay the winter in your neighborhood.
A Pet Peeve of mine: Feeding wild animals encourages them to breed more offspring than the local ecology can support. Then when you get sick, die or just get tired of doing it, all the extra animals you have created starve to death. You are not helping anyone but yourself!
If you want to attract birds and such, create a self sustaining habitat with plants that they can feed on and making it so insects and such can live there.

Last edited by nutleynut; 02-17-2009 at 07:50 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Ok, well maybe you'll have to take a trip out of state to get one, bring it back here, then....oh well, who am I kidding, you're right, in NJ? lol...how about some type of poison? Btw, I thought I DM'd you but maybe I didn't do it right...you want to IM?
Actually.....you don't need poison........maybe its just an old wives tale but I've always heard that birds won't return to a place where they got sick.....perhaps just some type of mixture that makes them sick ?

Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 PM

That might work...

Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,322 times
A Murder of Crows..

I had them living near me, '07-'08, until they started dropping from the tele-wires and trees, guessing because of bird flu, have not seen them since.

The murder was feasting on the flocking pidgeons .

They will probably go the way of the Blue-Jays, which I have not seen, since I was a child.

OP, maybe firecrackers, aimed into the surrounding area, will move them along.

Best~
Sligogirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey