Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Government offering distressed mortgage holders 2% interest rates, historically low interest rates, five year 2% interest rate period, adjustable rates after 5 year mark

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:11 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
All the more reason why the goal of any govt action should not be to "keep people in their homes".

Rather, the goal should be to ensure that people who cannot afford their homes leave them.
The goal should never have been for Jimmy Carter's CRA dream of everyone in this country owning a home, no matter what they could or could not afford, coupled with Obama's ACORN group shoving Jimmy's dream (with threats) down banking institutions throats which led us to where we are now.

Again, I don't know who qualifies for bailout assistance or not. All I know is that standards have been in play for decades to help homeowners in good standing not have to walk away from their homes should they fall on hard times. To a POINT. If they can't get their act together after a while, their behind is grass.

I'm pretty sure we're doing the apples and oranges dance. I feel not one bit of sympathy for anyone who walked into a mortgage they knew (spare me the "misled" into a mortgage drama) they could never afford if it weren't too good to be true.

What does someone who put 0% down on a home have to lose if their house is foreclosed on? Nothing. They essentially have been renting and to get a bailout is pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 PM

744 posts, read 1,406,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
I guess I'm not exactly sure how renters who have nothing to gain by renting and those (who were not subprimers) who own a mortgage should be thrown in the same boat when it comes down to anything. No risk in renting. No huge loss in renting. Nothing to show at the end of the day or tax year when you rent. I get it. I see you get it too.
Renting sees you with huge amounts of savings at the end of each year, compared with owning. That's hardly "nothing to show at the end of the day".

That'll change once the bubble finishes deflating, at which point I'll just buy a house with the cash I've saved and not bother with that whole mortgage thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey