Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times

Advertisements

Are you cutting your grass too short? Geese don't like tall grass, so let it grow a little taller.

You can use coyote urine for other wildlife; there are plastic bottles to put it in to put in your yard.

Now, I know this is gross, but I knew someone that put human urine around their yard...it works.

or, get a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 07:19 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post

Now, I know this is gross, but I knew someone that put human urine around their yard...it works.
I think I saw that guy last night

Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 AM

209 posts, read 1,683,892 times
That sucks. I have to deal with a similar issue. For whatever reason, seagulls love congregating on my roof (although strangely enough they aren't that loud). So I end up with a mess of seagull poop on my front stoop.

I have not found a way to consistently get rid of them, unfortunately. So I end up washing my stoop a lot.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default your choice

Dog and an invisible fence or live with the problem. No other viable solution. The geese are looking to set up a nest by the way.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:30 AM

132 posts, read 631,783 times
I had a similar issue a while back when geese would swim in my neighbor's pool (not yet finished but filled with water), come to my yard to eat and crap, and hop over to my other neighbor's yard to enjoy the sun.

My morning ritual was to yell at the geese from my patio door and watch them slowly stroll away but they would return the next morning. After googling for solutions, I found out that any sprays and high frequency devices are only temporary and not guaranteed to work because geese are highly intelligent birds. The best solution is getting a dog.

Even though laws protect wildlife, you can get a pellet rifle or some type of high power air gun to shoot them without seriously harming them . Afterall, it is your property and not a "dumping" ground.

Haven't seen the geese in a while so they might have flocked to you.

Good luck.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:14 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
A few solutions I've heard for the geese:

* buying the dog
* dog cut-outs, the large wooden cut-outs shaped liked dogs people put on their yards
* dog cut-outs with spring-like bobble-heads (something new I think b/c the geese figured out that a flat cut-out is not a real dog)
* a pair of swans (except you are not on a lake)
* if there is a nest, coating the eggs with cooking oil. Something I heard that is supposed to be humane. However, there are animal preservation laws that says you cannot even touch a nest and have to wait until the eggs hatch. So is anyone sees you doing this you might get reported.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:48 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Deer and bunnies! I would love those in my yard!
I would suggest fencing your yard in and get a medium size shelter dog!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:05 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Buy a pellet gun.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:08 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Fake dead geese
Mylar strips tied on string
Loud or sudden noises - could be banging a pot or the lawnmower. Go out
and give a squirt with the hose. If you can chase them off for a few weeks,
they'll nest elsewhere.
...move the dog cut-out around regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
A few solutions I've heard for the geese:

* buying the dog
* dog cut-outs, the large wooden cut-outs shaped liked dogs people put on their yards
* dog cut-outs with spring-like bobble-heads (something new I think b/c the geese figured out that a flat cut-out is not a real dog)
* a pair of swans (except you are not on a lake)
* if there is a nest, coating the eggs with cooking oil. Something I heard that is supposed to be humane. However, there are animal preservation laws that says you cannot even touch a nest and have to wait until the eggs hatch. So is anyone sees you doing this you might get reported.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:20 PM

23 posts, read 43,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzgrl View Post
Deer and bunnies! I would love those in my yard!
I would suggest fencing your yard in and get a medium size shelter dog!
While I agree that deer and bunnies are nice to look at, you wouldn't like what they leave in your yard. Minnie pellets and bigger pellets of POOO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: