Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:24 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,738 times

Advertisements

Seems to me that NJ is as up to date as anywhere and out west I know Ca. and Or both have insurance status record when they call up the drivers info in the cruiser computer. If this is so the ticket was disengenuous and IMO bordering on extortion and fraud. I cannot imagine that the cop did not know you were covered. If he let you driuve away this is anopther indication of dishonesty in the deal as if he really Believed you were noit covered he could not legally allow you to drive away.
I guess I'm full of P&V today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
They got it from the police report, which is public record.

I went through the same thing a few years back. I was pulled over for not having a front license plate, and when asked for my insurance and registration, I couldn't find the current card. The cop wrote me a ticket for not being able to produce credentials, so I had to go to court and show the judge that I had insurance and the fine was waived. Within two days of getting the ticket, I had at least a dozen letters from those d-bag lawyers, telling me how I could lose my license for not having insurance, etc., etc., and that I needed to have representation when I got to court. Talk about a waste of postage stamps......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 04:20 PM

744 posts, read 1,406,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
Seems to me that NJ is as up to date as anywhere and out west I know Ca. and Or both have insurance status record when they call up the drivers info in the cruiser computer. If this is so the ticket was disengenuous and IMO bordering on extortion and fraud. I cannot imagine that the cop did not know you were covered. If he let you driuve away this is anopther indication of dishonesty in the deal as if he really Believed you were noit covered he could not legally allow you to drive away.
Surely the offense wasn't driving without insurance, but driving without proof of insurance - very different things. I find it strange the judge let it off.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:55 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default our lesson

Live by the law die by the law.

Has to be some edge at which the law stops and morality/ social mores begin. If not we may as well pack it in.

The legal abuse has certainly played a huge role in medical insurance costs. The lawyers sitting in congress and the senate offer only ways to raise more money to pay the rising costs instead of investigating why costs are rising. Funny, that when on stage, these elected lawyers begin to argue logic against law for the best theatrical affect. These are the same guys that don't read legal documents before they approve them.

Legal costs often are the deciding factor in meritless lawsuits leaving the innocent to pay off the guilty as the best economic approach.

A perfectly engineered ladder without a warning label is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Six miles of 45mph signs on rt 287 with no hint of construction teach drivers to ignore laws.

Legislators who lie, cheat on taxes and get rewarded, teach us the law is wearing a threadbare blindfold.

Fear of lawsuits really puts a damper on our lives. Ranging from a mis-spoken word to first on scene at accidents.

The law is like fire, it can be your friend or it can burn you. I contend the herd of lawyers roaming the hinterlands of NJ/US is out of control and has left teeth marks and gaping wounds in the body of the society laws were meant to protect.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:41 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Live by the law die by the law.

Has to be some edge at which the law stops and morality/ social mores begin. If not we may as well pack it in.

The legal abuse has certainly played a huge role in medical insurance costs. The lawyers sitting in congress and the senate offer only ways to raise more money to pay the rising costs instead of investigating why costs are rising. Funny, that when on stage, these elected lawyers begin to argue logic against law for the best theatrical affect. These are the same guys that don't read legal documents before they approve them.

Legal costs often are the deciding factor in meritless lawsuits leaving the innocent to pay off the guilty as the best economic approach.

A perfectly engineered ladder without a warning label is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Six miles of 45mph signs on rt 287 with no hint of construction teach drivers to ignore laws.

Legislators who lie, cheat on taxes and get rewarded, teach us the law is wearing a threadbare blindfold.

Fear of lawsuits really puts a damper on our lives. Ranging from a mis-spoken word to first on scene at accidents.

The law is like fire, it can be your friend or it can burn you. I contend the herd of lawyers roaming the hinterlands of NJ/US is out of control and has left teeth marks and gaping wounds in the body of the society laws were meant to protect.
Exactly...was it Shakespere who said " Shoot all the lawyers"?..lol

Old 03-27-2009, 05:59 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
In NJ the police officer in the field has no way of knowing if your car is insured or not. They will issue a summons for 39;6B-2 if you have a expired ins. card or no card at all. It's up to YOU to prove to a judge that you did indeed have auto insurance. You would think in this day and age we would have this easily assessible to us in the field.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:40 PM

7 posts, read 30,583 times
xmonger = "How did they get your contact info?"
BobKovacs = "They got it from the police report, which is public record."

Actually, the contact info was not obtained from a police report. Although most accident reports are public information, there is a fee for obtaining a copy. It's very unlikely that a lawyer is going to hit all the local police departments and purchase copies of their accident reports.

In actuality, the contact information was obtained from the court, as many now have their dockets and court records on-line. There is usually a subsciption fee to access this information. Most lawyers do not do their own direct-mail advertsing, but hire out for this service. By law, any such advertising you receive must bear the word "ADVERTISEMENT" on the envelope. You are free to throw these mailing in the trash or return to sender.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:55 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,738 times
Default I am guessing you are n officer?

I hate ambulance chasers and all of this propaganda about lawsuits. Name 5 lawsuits you know of. If you are like most people you can't. Why? because there aren't as many as those who wish to manipulate the public want you to believe. This propaganda justifies raising prices, preprimes jury pools against victims, and makes it easier to pass laws that take away our rights and keep the working man down.

Not to further the hijack but;

That is pretty sad that your cruiser computers do not get the DMV insurance info. What info does come up from DMV?

As for the No proof of insurance argument. It works only if the Officer cannot see the DMV proof of insurance info on his computer. The DMV on the west coast tracks insurance information and it comes up with all the other info DMV has when the officer scans the DL. If he can see that you are covered on his computer, then issueing a ticket for you not having the card with you is disengenuous, if technically correct.
The point of the law, I think, is to make sure everyone is insured, not to make sure everyone has a card, which can be faked quite easily if the Officer cannot verify coverage over the computer which Jersey Man indicates is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
In NJ the police officer in the field has no way of knowing if your car is insured or not. They will issue a summons for 39;6B-2 if you have a expired ins. card or no card at all. It's up to YOU to prove to a judge that you did indeed have auto insurance. You would think in this day and age we would have this easily assessible to us in the field.

Last edited by nutleynut; 03-28-2009 at 08:13 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 09:01 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
I think we may have gotten a little off point here......the real issue at hand from the OP is not incompetent police or how quickly they can pull up insurance info on their computers, but ambulance chasing lawyers creating lawsuits where none exist. Our sue anyone for anything legal system promotes this type of lawyer behavior because it rewards them with court time for even the most frivolous suit filed. TWO million dollars awarded to some dumb woman who spilled her hot McDonalds coffee in her lap as she drove and then sued because the coffee was TOO hot......it should be common sense that coffee is hot and you can get burned if you spill it......but not in the good old USA......lawyers will produce a boatload of "experts" to testify that someone was "negligent" and has to pay.......this type of jury insanity costs us all in the end and so they don't get sued again we all get luke warm coffee at the McDonalds drive through now !!! I'll repeat what I said earlier in this thread that half my relatives are Canadian and up there you can sue but if you lose you owe your oppponents legal fees. We could have that system here too but no politician wants to make it an issue....WE need to make it an issue for the politicians !!!!

Last edited by FlyersFan; 03-28-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I think we may have gotten a little off point here......the real issue at hand from the OP is not incompetent police or how quickly they can pull up insurance info on their computers, but ambulance chasing lawyers creating lawsuits where none exist. Our sue anyone for anything legal system promotes this type of lawyer behavior because it rewards them with court time for even the most frivolous suit filed. TWO million dollars awarded to some dumb woman who spilled her hot McDonalds coffee in her lap as she drove and then sued because the coffee was TOO hot......it should be common sense that coffee is hot and you can get burned if you spill it......but not in the good old USA......lawyers will produce a boatload of "experts" to testify that someone was "negligent" and has to pay.......this type of jury insanity costs us all in the end and so they don't get sued again we all get luke warm coffee at the McDonalds drive through now !!! I'll repeat what I said earlier in this thread that half my relatives are Canadian and up there you can sue but if you lose you owe your oppponents legal fees. We could have that system here too but no politician wants to make it an issue....WE need to make it an issue for the politicians !!!!
Would make some of the sue happy think twice I would think I would be all for it!!
As an update received a claim form from the rear enders insurance company..I called and said I'm fine...I have two wee scratches on my bumper I would be hard pressed to even find someone to fix that as the job would be so small. She said she was going to close out my portion of it and I said fine. Now I'm sure this is sop for the insurance companies to send out and I'm sure they are happy when someone tells them..I'm not filing a claim.

I don't know how my accident report would have ended up in the court record system as someone mentioned as I never went to court..and the ambulance chaser letter DID NOT have this is advertisement posted on it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: