Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:55 PM

86 posts, read 248,095 times

Advertisements

I have followed some threads here on east orange and their are people who dont like it east orange the town. but i am very interested in the life style of these particular condo buildings (60 parkway drive and empireview, or similarly quality condo redevelopments) i am in the process of buying a unit in one of these buildings and am curious about what people who live in one of these two buildings think about living there?

do you feel happy with your purchase? would you do it again? are the homeowners associations very active? are the neighbors friendly and racially diverse? do you feel that the buildings (60 parkway drive and empireview) security has been properly implemented? how long have you lived there (@ 60 parkway drive and empireview in east orange)? do you spend any time in the town of east orange or just commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 07:40 PM

just a little bump, which i hope is ok in this forum.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:53 PM

26 posts, read 135,340 times
Hi - i live at one of these buildings; feel free to message me.

do you feel happy with your purchase? Yes and No. yes because it does it's job for me. a place with a decent commute to work (Midtown NYC) No because i hate the neighborhood. Within the gates, you're fine.
would you do it again? NO, I would look elsewhere. ARe you looking for 1, 2, or 3 BR and what is your budget? I would look at more established neighborhoods. All this talk about East Orange up and coming is probably going to happen but I doubt I will see it in my lifetime.
are the homeowners associations very active? I'm indifferent about this, but I can assert that the Association carries out various meetings about different topics approximately once every 1 or 2 months.
are the neighbors friendly and racially diverse? Neighbors are friendly. Yes. i don't know exact stats but mostly black young professionals approx 60%. 40% divided among asians, spanish, white etc.
do you feel that the buildings (60 parkway drive and empireview) security has been properly implemented? Yes, there is round the clock security; but as I understand there have been a few car breaks ins within the last few years. Don't know the exact stats but I wouldn't let that deter you. My car has been untouched in the last 3 years of living there. If you have a flashy car, I don't know what to tell you, but I have a hooptie because I work in the city and just need it for weekends.
how long have you lived there (@ 60 parkway drive and empireview in east orange)? (see above)
do you spend any time in the town of east orange or just commute? Never spend time in East Orange, but often go to Montclair, Clifton, or hang out in the city. I don't do groceries at the East Orange Shoprite, i do it at West Orange. you catch my drift.

let me know if you want further details.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 AM

592 posts, read 2,188,504 times
why would you ever consider buying in that dump. If you need to remember 1 rule, it is location. Not just for better quality of life when you are living there, but also if you need to rent or sell later on, location matters the most.

I rather have a poor unit in a good location, than a palace in the ghetto. Case in point: the Beacon condo in jersey city. It is one of the most luxury buildings but located in the slum next to the projects. The 1BR price there dropped from high 350s to 220 in a matter of 6 month. While the good areas like newport, the price dropped much less from 400k to 350k for a 1BR.

Forget the eyecandy brand new rennovations, and focus more on the location. You will thank me later.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,091 times
Default 60 Parkway Drive

All very interesting comments. I am a young female professional (does the race even matter???) on the market for a place and I have toyed with the idea of looking at 60. I presently live in Weehawken and if I could have my way, would prefer to stay here. You all have given me some interesting information and I am going with my gut and will not be considering 60.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:03 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,913,908 times
No young female should realistically consider East Orange.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:24 PM

989 posts, read 1,878,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
why would you ever consider buying in that dump. If you need to remember 1 rule, it is location. Not just for better quality of life when you are living there, but also if you need to rent or sell later on, location matters the most.

I rather have a poor unit in a good location, than a palace in the ghetto. Case in point: the Beacon condo in jersey city. It is one of the most luxury buildings but located in the slum next to the projects. The 1BR price there dropped from high 350s to 220 in a matter of 6 month. While the good areas like newport, the price dropped much less from 400k to 350k for a 1BR.

Forget the eyecandy brand new rennovations, and focus more on the location. You will thank me later.

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post

thank you for your meaningless, unhelpful post.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2the4 View Post
Hi - i live at one of these buildings; feel free to message me.

do you feel happy with your purchase? Yes and No. yes because it does it's job for me. a place with a decent commute to work (Midtown NYC) No because i hate the neighborhood. Within the gates, you're fine.
would you do it again? NO, I would look elsewhere. ARe you looking for 1, 2, or 3 BR and what is your budget? I would look at more established neighborhoods. All this talk about East Orange up and coming is probably going to happen but I doubt I will see it in my lifetime.
are the homeowners associations very active? I'm indifferent about this, but I can assert that the Association carries out various meetings about different topics approximately once every 1 or 2 months.
are the neighbors friendly and racially diverse? Neighbors are friendly. Yes. i don't know exact stats but mostly black young professionals approx 60%. 40% divided among asians, spanish, white etc.
do you feel that the buildings (60 parkway drive and empireview) security has been properly implemented? Yes, there is round the clock security; but as I understand there have been a few car breaks ins within the last few years. Don't know the exact stats but I wouldn't let that deter you. My car has been untouched in the last 3 years of living there. If you have a flashy car, I don't know what to tell you, but I have a hooptie because I work in the city and just need it for weekends.
how long have you lived there (@ 60 parkway drive and empireview in east orange)? (see above)
do you spend any time in the town of east orange or just commute? Never spend time in East Orange, but often go to Montclair, Clifton, or hang out in the city. I don't do groceries at the East Orange Shoprite, i do it at West Orange. you catch my drift.

let me know if you want further details.

Thank you this post was very helpful. currently we do our groceries shopping at the bloomfield shoprite, even though we live walking distance from the pathmark in montclair because that pathmark is a mess so i thought that most likely we would continue to do our shopping there.

we have a very limited budget, a one bedroom was only affordable to use at 60 because we just say raises in pay, but we could not even afford to by a ROOM let alone a condo in most other areas near or in the NYC area. so that was the appeal of the place at 60, as an althernative to renting. not as an alternative to buying elsewhere. clearly if we could afford it we would buy a fifth ave pent house in nyc but we have to look at our budget.

we have a cute and high gas mileage subcompact so we hope the 24/7 security will be enough, but if not. we dont think our little putt-putt will be a target.

but buying in an "up and coming" area is risky. we know it, but so is anything really

thank you again for your insight.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:31 PM

592 posts, read 2,188,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
thank you for your meaningless, unhelpful post.
meaningless and unhelpful?

if you already have your mind made up why bother even asking. Do you want me to say east orange is the best neighborhood and you made a great purchase just to reinforce your illusion?

Anyway enjoy your life in east orange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey