Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:24 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-201 View Post
Stay away from Train/Bus after midnight!
lol, ok, grandpa. the type of person asking this question is probably the type that scared you away, though, fyi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:30 AM

138 posts, read 610,628 times
The PATH is every 15 minutes on Saturday nights until 3 AM.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:10 PM

119 posts, read 472,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post

another option is to take the PATH from the harrison PATH station. in the evening, there should be plenty of free street parking near the station, not to mention a bunch of inexpensive pay lots. the only negative is that it takes longer to get to harrison from nyc: 20 minutes from the world trade center and at least 35-40 minutes from 33rd street in midtown, including a transfer at journal square. taking the PATH to and from jersey city or hoboken will be quicker, especially since you won't have to switch trains.
I was going to suggest Harrison, as it usually is easy to find some kind of street parking and that town is incredibly walkable, and safe enough as well. Is there a transfer if you're taking the PATH to downtown Manhattan though? I haven't taken it in years and I plan to soon, but I hate transfers. I'd rather just get across the river and take the subway to midtown.

It is ridiculous and unnecessary how inconvenient the train service is in most places outside of Hudson county or Newark..

Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjh20 View Post
I was going to suggest Harrison, as it usually is easy to find some kind of street parking and that town is incredibly walkable, and safe enough as well. Is there a transfer if you're taking the PATH to downtown Manhattan though? I haven't taken it in years and I plan to soon, but I hate transfers. I'd rather just get across the river and take the subway to midtown.

It is ridiculous and unnecessary how inconvenient the train service is in most places outside of Hudson county or Newark..
See linked path map.

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/downloads/Aug29-PATH.gif (broken link)

Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times
Quote:
if you're taking the PATH from harrison to the world trade center, it's a 20 minute direct ride into the city - no transfers.

if you're taking the train to 33rd street in midtown via greenwich village, chelsea, etc, then you'll have to switch trains at journal square in jersey city. journal square is 1 stop east of harrison (about 10 minutes away). once the train pulls into the JSQ station, walk directly across the platform to catch the 33rd street-bound train, which makes stops at christopher st, 9th st, 14th st, 23rd st, and 33rd st. all of these stops are along 6th avenue, with the exception of christopher street, which is located between greenwich and hudson streets in the far west village.

another option is to take the PATH one stop west from harrison to newark penn station, then take nj transit to new york penn station. although there's still a transfer involved in newark, at least the ride from newark to midtown is quicker than the PATH (only 20 minutes). plus, the ride from harrison to newark is less than 1 minute.

Quote:
It is ridiculous and unnecessary how inconvenient the train service is in most places outside of Hudson county or Newark.
i agree 100%. it should be much easier than it is.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 PM

119 posts, read 472,725 times
I guess trains run all the time in Jersey City so it might not be too bad. Taking the PATH to Newark Penn Station sounds like the best idea, actually. I assume it's not really a shady place, or not any worse than New Brunswick station at least, which is sketchy as all hell.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:15 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times
Quote:
I guess trains run all the time in Jersey City so it might not be too bad. Taking the PATH to Newark Penn Station sounds like the best idea, actually. I assume it's not really a shady place, or not any worse than New Brunswick station at least, which is sketchy as all hell.
yeah, newark penn station isn't bad at all. if you're going to take the PATH from harrison to there and then switch to nj transit to get to manhattan, you won't ever have to walk outside of the station. and the station itself is actually pretty decent. there are some homeless guys here and there, but they're pretty much harmless. the worst they've ever done is ask for spare change or some food from the mcdonald's downstairs.

another reason i like the harrison station is because if for some reason the PATH is not running, you can always walk one block from 33rd & 6th to ny penn station and then take nj transit to newark. from there, you can catch a cab to harrison (it's a super short ride just across the passaic river) or even walk through the ironbound district and then across the jackson street bridge.

conversely, if nj transit is delayed out of ny penn station, you can always walk one block over to catch the PATH to get back to harrison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey