Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:35 PM

6 posts, read 17,573 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Hoping for some help here. I accepted a position in Northern Jersey (West Caldwell, Essex County) and am relocating in a few weeks. I am 26, single, and looking for a 1 bedroom apartment with a budget of ~$1200. I know nothing about the area but would prefer one of the following: a cool apartment in a fun part of town (bars, culture, restaurants) or a more "typical" apartment with a slower lifestyle in a suburban, safe area. I know those sound like 2 extremes but I could really do either. If there is an area around there that is definitely somewhere to check out in terms of nightlife, concerts etc. I'd like to know. I'd be willing to pay more to live somewhere interesting than just another apartment complex. Also, commute time is important so staying in the W. Caldwell area is ideal.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 01:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Check out either Morristown or Montclair. Both have a lot of bars and restaurants and things to do.

both are about 20 minutes from West Caldwell so either one would be an easy commute. Good luck

Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinstonc View Post
I accepted a position in Northern Jersey (West Caldwell, Essex County) and am relocating in a few weeks. I am 26, single, and looking for a 1 bedroom apartment with a budget of ~$1200. I know nothing about the area but would prefer one of the following: a cool apartment in a fun part of town (bars, culture, restaurants) or a more "typical" apartment with a slower lifestyle in a suburban, safe area. I know those sound like 2 extremes but I could really do either. If there is an area around there that is definitely somewhere to check out in terms of nightlife, concerts etc. I'd like to know. I'd be willing to pay more to live somewhere interesting than just another apartment complex. Also, commute time is important so staying in the W. Caldwell area is ideal.
If I was in your shoes I'd go w/Verona hands-down period. It gives you the Verona Inn, borders Montclair (on SW side) and also proximity to Clifton (borders Montclair on NE side) for bars/clubs/nightlife/concerts. You don't work in NYC so why live in Montclair for added expense go w/Verona.

Verona to West Caldwell is just a crawl across Caldwell/North Caldwell on Bloomfield Ave.

If you still end up bored then just move to Morristown. Let's see what everyone else says. I still say Verona is way to go. Another option may be Nutley too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Check out either Morristown or Montclair. Both have a lot of bars and restaurants and things to do.

both are about 20 minutes from West Caldwell so either one would be an easy commute. Good luck
Montclair less than 20 mins and Morristown 1/2 -1 hr. depending on 287/46/80 traffic.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
Montclair. Lots to do there and close to your job.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 PM

297 posts, read 505,527 times
Montclair is a fine area. I'd also suggest South Orange, which has a lot of young college students and a few bars and restaurants. Plus, it has train service, even on Sat. Montclair-Boonton doesn't have weekend service. Check out the Gaslight Commons in South Orange. I've heard good things about it and it's a short walk to the train.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:09 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Montclair. Lots to do there and close to your job.
True but w/Montclair or South Orange he's paying a premium for the MidTownDirect train. He doesn't work in the city so why pay the premium? I'd say for him to enjoy all that Montclair has to offer he'd be better off on the east end of Verona close to the avenue.

Pay cheaper rent in Verona, be a Montclair wanna-be, plus be closer to work too. He could walk into Montclair (i.e. whole foods, starbucks, office pub) if he wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
Check out the Gaslight Commons in South Orange. I've heard good things about it and it's a short walk to the train.
This is true, nice place.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:33 PM

Thanks for all the tips so far. I really appreciate it. I'm heading up that way the weekend after next so this is all helpful prep in where to look.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:33 PM

82 posts, read 396,614 times
Montclair and Bloomfield are mad nice, South Orange is pretty nice too stay far far far away from Newark, Irvington and East Orange worst places in the entire state other than camden

Old 05-05-2009, 03:43 PM

Gaslight Commons looks nice but is a bit on the pricey side.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:57 PM

South Orange looks like it could be cool. Being close to Seton Hall I would imagine there is a decent amount of stuff going on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey