Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:16 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
[img]http://******************/vomit-smiley-9529.gif[/img]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 10:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
oooh its an evil chain restaurant.

well, it has better food than most of the independent places that people pretend are so wonderful.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:40 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
oooh its an evil chain restaurant.

well, it has better food than most of the independent places that people pretend are so wonderful.
Chevy's? That one step above taco bell

Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
Chevy's? That one step above taco bell
its funny to see how silly anti-chain restaurant people are. i enjoy my meal at chevys everytime. its not fancy but neither are most of the independent mexican places. people just want to find some hole in the wall and pretend its so authentic and wonderful.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,274,470 times
Quote:
its funny to see how silly anti-chain restaurant people are. i enjoy my meal at chevys everytime. its not fancy but neither are most of the independent mexican places. people just want to find some hole in the wall and pretend its so authentic and wonderful.
Well, in NJ, why settle for anything LESS than authentic? Everywhere you go in NJ, there are authentic Italian, authentic Mexican, authentic German, authentic Cuban, etc etc etc restaurants, and they are mostly in the same price range as any chain/franchise. This is what separates NJ from many other states...we have EVERY kind of restaurant, and many of them are truly authentic. I am travelling to Ohio tomorrow to have lunch with a client, and I shudder at the thought of where we will be having lunch

Franchise restaurants are corporate marketing machines. The only way they exist is because they pump MILLIONS of dollars into TV commercials, etc, so they brand themselves really well to a mass audience, so that when you see one of these franchises in a strip mall, or on a highway, you recognize the name (the "brand"), and you stop. Franchise restaurants are marketing companies, not restaurants! And your money goes towards fueling a corporation, rather than helping out the small mom and pop restaurants.

Lord knows that you can get a much better meal at the local bar/grill than at a TGI Friday's which may be a mile away, and it'd be the same price...so why is the TGI Friday's always packed? Because people see the commercials and want it...they recognize the brand. I'll never understand how chain restaurants exist in NJ, and do well. And don't even get me started on the Olive Gardens in MANHATTAN, of all places.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 AM

138 posts, read 610,737 times
Downton JC, have you tried Taqueria yet? It's on the corner of Grove & Grand. Delicious!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Well, in NJ, why settle for anything LESS than authentic? Everywhere you go in NJ, there are authentic Italian, authentic Mexican, authentic German, authentic Cuban, etc etc etc restaurants, and they are mostly in the same price range as any chain/franchise. This is what separates NJ from many other states...we have EVERY kind of restaurant, and many of them are truly authentic. I am travelling to Ohio tomorrow to have lunch with a client, and I shudder at the thought of where we will be having lunch

Maybe you'll be in the Akron area, Tommy. Many years ago, I had relatives who lived there. It was there I had the tastiest fried chicken I've ever had (outside of Kansas City anyway), Barberton Chicken:

Old 05-11-2009, 11:32 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,274,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Maybe you'll be in the Akron area, Tommy. Many years ago, I had relatives who lived there. It was there I had the tastiest fried chicken I've ever had (outside of Kansas City anyway), Barberton Chicken:
Thanks for the heads up Mike...but I'll actually be lunching in Columbus. Then heading to Dayton for another meeting. Then flying back to La Guardia, all in one day ... fun times! I hear that Columbus is the fast food capital of the world. How....exciting!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Believe me, if a chain serves good food that actually tastes great, then I am going.

I lived in SC for years, and outside of BBQ, you have to go to the chains for everything else, and they all taste the same. There are a LOT of mom and pop places I refuse to eat in NJ (specifically, Hudson Co.) that people rave to no end about.

And El Aguila? Gorditas, homemade guacamole dip, and huge enchiladas all for under 19 dollars, and the taste? Spectacular.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty318 View Post
Downton JC, have you tried Taqueria yet? It's on the corner of Grove & Grand. Delicious!
I live right next to Taqueria, and I must say, that place is very overrated with atrocious service. I asked for an extra radish on my tacos and the guy behind the counter looked at me like I just asked to sleep with his wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey