Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:28 PM

229 posts, read 923,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
There are lots of different "Jersey Cities".

The whole "luxury condo"-mania is another matter. Most people who have 600k to spend could buy in a more established area, like downtown JC or Hoboken.
I have to respectfully disagree with that price point. For $600K downtown, or Hoboken you get a middle of the road 1BR. Nothing with a real view.

UC is a better bet, imho and that is where I placed my personal bet. I got 1500 Sq ft, 25 minutes from manhattan, with manhattan views, top floor, for less than the $600K you quote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:59 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with that price point. For $600K downtown, or Hoboken you get a middle of the road 1BR. Nothing with a real view.
Unless "a real view" is what defines it for you, there are plenty of very nice places in downtown JC (including 2BR) at that price point. I just did a search for 2BR+ 600k, and got 15 pages of hits on trulia.

Quote:
UC is a better bet, imho and that is where I placed my personal bet. I got 1500 Sq ft, 25 minutes from manhattan, with manhattan views, top floor, for less than the $600K you quote.
Great views, but less desirable otherwise, as evidenced by the prices.

I agree that if you just want a fast commute to Manhattan and good views, UC is good value.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilme View Post
I don't know where you are walking from Elflord, but Journal Square Path Station is only 10-15 minutes walk from the Beacon.
I'm closer than the Beacon, and I don't think you're walking if you get there in 10 minutes from the Beacon.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Unless "a real view" is what defines it for you, there are plenty of very nice places in downtown JC (including 2BR) at that price point.
Yes, I should have been clearer. Great views are very important to me. If I am paying a premium for living near a great city, I want to see it, not my neighbor or at best a park. That is a personal thing, though.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:18 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Where is the yutz that has been touting the Beacon as the second coming of Christ? Oh wait, s/he is probably hunkered down trying to avoid all the gunfire coming from Montgomery Green and Bergen/Summit Aves.

summertime is approaching, ya know?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:50 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
While some of you seem to be gloating about this (I don't know why), I see it as unfortunate.
I attended Saint Peter's College & lived in the area many years after graduation. I never had a problem around the 'Ol Medical Center during the day or late at night.
This area, while not pretty or prestigious holds a place in my heart. I don't understand why people from New Jersey are smiling at a great NJ city stumbling.
Shame on you.

Last edited by openheads; 05-21-2009 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
While some of you seem to be gloating about this (I don't know why), I see it as unfortunate.
I attended Saint Peter's College & lived in the area many years after graduation. I never had a problem around the 'Ol Medical Center during the day or late at night.
I live half a block from St Peters. I'm not gloating about it, but it was obviously a terrible business decision to throw a luxury condo there. Bergen Avenue gets really sketchy at night, and it literally and figuratively goes downhill as you go East on Montgomery.

A series on crime in Jersey City cited the two projects on Montgomery -- the ones next to the Beacon, and the low rises just West of Route 78 and Montgomery -- as two of the top 10 "hot spots" for crime in Jersey City.

I guess these builders are trying to market these as gated communities -- they provide their own shuttle service to the station, and attempt to provide plenty of amenities on the premise. They are obviously built on the premise that you don't have much to do with your surroundings if you live there.

Given what I've seen of your posting record, I doubt you'd like this a whole lot. It strikes me as a hostile presence to move into a neighborhood, but actively shut it out.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:54 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post

false, or rather behind the times. Now, ~400k will get you a 1br in a luxury high rise in paulus hook / newport. ~450-500k will get you a top of the line 1br with view and what not.

uc location is crap, who cares how nice the building is or what view you have. Havent you learned anything from the beacon story, location is everything. And if you really wanted to place a risky bet based on future expectations, should bet on journal square path up to the canco loft area.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:19 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
I guess these builders are trying to market these as gated communities -- they provide their own shuttle service to the station, and attempt to provide plenty of amenities on the premise. They are obviously built on the premise that you don't have much to do with your surroundings if you live there.

Given what I've seen of your posting record, I doubt you'd like this a whole lot. It strikes me as a hostile presence to move into a neighborhood, but actively shut it out.
True. All in due time though. The yupps will be afraid in any *vomits*, "urban pioneer" neighborhood.
That's how they do.
They want to be "edgy" with out the edge.
I'm sad because the "Beacon area" could use the extra policing & all of the extras that come from the fear of a yupp getting shot on his way to work while the neighborhood still retains its "Jersey Cityness".
I'm not one of these sentimental A-Holes who thinks getting a pistol shoved in your ear is what makes a city cool. If that were the case, I would be moving to Camden or Detroit.
But I think you know what I'm getting at.................. Mixed income, mix use, walkable, urban areas that are inviting & accessible to everyone. Call me naive if you want, I'll understand, but I think up the hill had (or has) a chance for that type of environment.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
false, or rather behind the times. Now, ~400k will get you a 1br in a luxury high rise in paulus hook / newport. ~450-500k will get you a top of the line 1br with view and what not.

uc location is crap, who cares how nice the building is or what view you have. Havent you learned anything from the beacon story, location is everything. And if you really wanted to place a risky bet based on future expectations, should bet on journal square path up to the canco loft area.

Sorry, 700 square feet on the 3rd floor is not what I have in mind. Find me 1000+ sq ft on the water looking at the city for $400. I will buy 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey