Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 AM

4 posts, read 9,402 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Newport in early June and had a couple of questions. What the must dos as far as parks, shops, restaurants, etc? Also, where are the best places to run and play some basketball? Lastly, I am an avid golfer and it looks like there are no courses/ranges close by...does anyone know the closest place? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 AM

231 posts, read 587,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader6 View Post
I am moving to Newport in early June and had a couple of questions. What the must dos as far as parks, shops, restaurants, etc? Also, where are the best places to run and play some basketball? Lastly, I am an avid golfer and it looks like there are no courses/ranges close by...does anyone know the closest place? Thanks
For golf, there is liberty national in JC. Initiation fees are $500k. Then there's bayonne which is a paltry $200k. If you're like me and not a billionaire, your best bets will be the essex county courses (weequahick, francis byrne, etc. all public), morris county (sunset valley, split rock, berkshire valley [hard!!!], flanders valley, all public), bergen county (overpeck, rockleigh, orchard hills, all public), paramus golf course (private), rutgers golf course (public). If you want a real challenge, Crystal Springs has a handful of awesome courses (Crystal Springs, Black Bear, Wild Turkey, Ballyowen, all private but open to public). As a resident of Hudson county, you are basically screwed. All the counties offer discounts to their residents and since there are no public courses in Hudson, we eat it. That being said, good deals can be had at some of the courses. I personally think that sunset valley and rutgers are well worth it for out of towners, especially if you can get out on a weekday. Unfortunately, all of these courses require a bit or a lot of a drive.

Oh, and I may as well mention that since you live in JC, may well find it faster and easier to get the Staten Island, where I think there are 2 courses, right over the bayonne bridge. There are several in queens and Eastern LI too and I think one in Brooklyn. Split Rock/Pelham can be gotten to easily if it's an early weekend morning--they're in the Bronx.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 9,402 times
Thanks a lot! I coming from central NY, where I had 250 yards in my backyard to hit balls and at least 10 top notch courses within 15 minutes. Looks like it will be an adjustment, but there is no way I can stop playing

Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,280,007 times
For basketball, Hamilton Park is very close, although it's currently under renovation. Also, check out the courts up on Ogden Avenue in the Heights...great view. I don't play, but always admired the panoramic NYC view up on that court. There are so many good restaurants all around Downtown JC. Newport has a few chains, which turn me off. Check out the restaurants in Paulus Hook - Light Horse Tavern, Amelia's Bistro, Presto's, and on Grove Street - Marco & Pepe, Hard Grove Cafe, The Merchant. In Newport there is this new place opening up on the Marina...called Michael Anthony's I believe.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 AM

231 posts, read 587,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
For basketball, Hamilton Park is very close, although it's currently under renovation. Also, check out the courts up on Ogden Avenue in the Heights...great view. I don't play, but always admired the panoramic NYC view up on that court. There are so many good restaurants all around Downtown JC. Newport has a few chains, which turn me off. Check out the restaurants in Paulus Hook - Light Horse Tavern, Amelia's Bistro, Presto's, and on Grove Street - Marco & Pepe, Hard Grove Cafe, The Merchant. In Newport there is this new place opening up on the Marina...called Michael Anthony's I believe.
There's also a little tacqueria on grand which is good. Too bad oddfellow's closed down.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:11 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,280,007 times
For French food, try Madame Claude's. Best pizza, La Rustique on Jersey Ave, or John's in Paulus Hook. Thai food, there's a place called More on Grove Street. Cuban food, La Conguita on Grove Street. Vietnamese, there's a place on Newark Ave, I don't know the name, but it's amazing. Greek, It's Greek to Me on Newark Ave. High end Italian, Porto Leggero near the waterfront. Lisbon on York Street for Portugese. The list goes on...there are a lot of great restaurants in JC.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:24 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
For French food, try Madame Claude's. Best pizza, La Rustique on Jersey Ave, or John's in Paulus Hook. Thai food, there's a place called More on Grove Street. Cuban food, La Conguita on Grove Street. Vietnamese, there's a place on Newark Ave, I don't know the name, but it's amazing. Greek, It's Greek to Me on Newark Ave. High end Italian, Porto Leggero near the waterfront. Lisbon on York Street for Portugese. The list goes on...there are a lot of great restaurants in JC.
Lisbon is to die for. Portuguese steak covered with ham and eggs is a dream come true!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,890,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsquad View Post
For golf, there is liberty national in JC. Initiation fees are $500k. Then there's bayonne which is a paltry $200k. If you're like me and not a billionaire, your best bets will be the essex county courses (weequahick, francis byrne, etc. all public), morris county (sunset valley, split rock, berkshire valley [hard!!!], flanders valley, all public), bergen county (overpeck, rockleigh, orchard hills, all public), paramus golf course (private), rutgers golf course (public). If you want a real challenge, Crystal Springs has a handful of awesome courses (Crystal Springs, Black Bear, Wild Turkey, Ballyowen, all private but open to public). As a resident of Hudson county, you are basically screwed. All the counties offer discounts to their residents and since there are no public courses in Hudson, we eat it. That being said, good deals can be had at some of the courses. I personally think that sunset valley and rutgers are well worth it for out of towners, especially if you can get out on a weekday. Unfortunately, all of these courses require a bit or a lot of a drive.

Oh, and I may as well mention that since you live in JC, may well find it faster and easier to get the Staten Island, where I think there are 2 courses, right over the bayonne bridge. There are several in queens and Eastern LI too and I think one in Brooklyn. Split Rock/Pelham can be gotten to easily if it's an early weekend morning--they're in the Bronx.
There are two courses in brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey