Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 PM

78 posts, read 407,608 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently put our house on the market in southern Jersey. Our realtor said that she doesn't think that Open Houses really help to sell houses, but that she would do an open house on our house if we wanted it. Does anybody have any opinion...negative or positive....regarding this? My husband thinks we should have it. I think it would just bring in nosy neighbors and not serious buyers. My realtor also mentioned that things get stolen from houses during open houses. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:47 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,092 times
As a current buyer, I think they are helpful.

It may get some buyers in that typically would not consider the house. (price, location, etc...)
It may bring in a nosy neighbor who has a friend/coworker/family member that may be in the market.
I would hide ANYTHING worth of value during an open house (or when I was showing house ever in general)

My logic is they don't HURT. Maybe they don't get your house sold but all you need is that one person and open houses bring in people. Not all people are looking for themselves but possibly will pass the info on to someone else. Just do it. What county you selling in?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:54 PM

256 posts, read 841,657 times
you need to have an open house. how else are people gonna know what to expect???

Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeaa View Post
My husband and I recently put our house on the market in southern Jersey. Our realtor said that she doesn't think that Open Houses really help to sell houses, but that she would do an open house on our house if we wanted it. Does anybody have any opinion...negative or positive....regarding this? My husband thinks we should have it. I think it would just bring in nosy neighbors and not serious buyers. My realtor also mentioned that things get stolen from houses during open houses. Thanks for any input.
First thing they'll tell you in the real estate forum is that once you're selling your house, it isn't your house any more. It's an exhibit. If you don't have things lying around, how is anyone going to steal them ?

Does it matter if "nosy neighbors" come in ? Remember, it's a public exhibit now, it isn't your house any more, and all your personal effects are out of view.

Why won't it bring serious buyers ? Is it well priced, and well promoted ? If you were a serious buyer, would you be interested in attending an open house for a place that looked promising and was priced attractively ?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
you need to have an open house. how else are people gonna know what to expect???
Prospective buyers can arrange showings.

Compared to an open house, these can be quite inconvenient for the seller -- they only get one person in at a time, and it is usually at the buyers convenience, not the sellers. The seller then faces the dilemma of jumping through hoops to accomodate or risk losing a buyer.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 PM

21 posts, read 65,781 times
Default Open House?

Yes you shoukd have an Open House. The time is right. Kids getting out of school weathere turning warmer. It's a no-brainer. I am a Realtor. I have sold from Open Houses. True, you will get nosy neighbors. But what the hey- they might have a co-worker,friend etc. they want as a neighbor.
just lock up your valubles and just in case any meds you may have. 1-4 is enough time. You have to show it to sell it. We are in a "challenged" market, but there is a home for everyone. Good Luck and Get it Sold!

Old 05-22-2009, 04:27 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
When we sold, we were told by our Realtor that we probably wouldn't get a sale from an open house, but it couldn't hurt. Maybe you'll get an offer or perhaps someone who see's the house will tell someone else who's looking for a place just like yours. It couldn't hurt. If you're opposed to the idea, it's not the end of the world.

REALTOR.com: Who Benefits from an Open House?

Old 05-22-2009, 05:23 AM

777 posts, read 2,379,526 times
Definitely, have at least a broker's open house, so all the realtors in the area can come to check out your house, since those are the people who will be selling it.

I think the stat is only 3% of buyers who come to an open house actually buy that home. Realtors use the open houses to help generate more potential clients. If the visitor to the open house doesn't like your home, the realtor will try and sell them another home in the area.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
actually I think it would sell a house. I just recently went to 4 open houses, then a month ago 2 open houses. The funny thing is when I went to the 4 open houses 3 of the four were empty!!! However I would buy a house from an open house if I saw the perfect home. I am an all cash buyer, no mortgage needed and at an open house, if I saw just what I wanted I would have made an offer on the spot. I think an open house is a good idea. And here is the kicker of it all, I actually think I met my next real estate agent at one of the open houses, I thought he was honest and a nice guy!! He knew the area well and when what I am looking for comes on the market I am sure he will call me and maybe we can do business!

Old 05-22-2009, 05:47 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
Definitely, have at least a broker's open house, so all the realtors in the area can come to check out your house, since those are the people who will be selling it.

I think the stat is only 3% of buyers who come to an open house actually buy that home. Realtors use the open houses to help generate more potential clients. If the visitor to the open house doesn't like your home, the realtor will try and sell them another home in the area.
your right thats how I met this nice agent and he knows now what I really want!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey