Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:52 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
With all of Corzine's money and the mentality of the voters in NJ can he lose? Can Christie capture enough of the independent and democratic votes to beat him? I sure hope so, but am really doubtful.

I can't see Christie winning the vote in Newark, Trenton, Camden or Jersey City. Voter turnout will be crucial in November. Yesterday's turnout was disgraceful.
Leonid Brezhnev would beat Christie in these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 11:57 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Leonid Brezhnev would beat Christie in these places.
how did Schundler win in JC? (didn't we have this conversation before?)

Old 06-03-2009, 11:57 AM

199 posts, read 526,359 times
Quote:
With all of Corzine's money and the mentality of the voters in NJ can he lose? Can Christie capture enough of the independent and democratic votes to beat him? I sure hope so, but am really doubtful.

I can't see Christie winning the vote in Newark, Trenton, Camden or Jersey City. Voter turnout will be crucial in November. Yesterday's turnout was disgraceful.
You don't think Christie would be able to get the support of at least half of the independent voters? I think he will, with ease.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Since when are these cities of beacon of voter turnout? Does anyone have stats that show voters come out in droves in these places? Real easy to blame the poor folks when in reality you have people who won't vote at all.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJphillyfan View Post
You don't think Christie would be able to get the support of at least half of the independent voters? I think he will, with ease.
I think so too.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Since when are these cities of beacon of voter turnout? Does anyone have stats that show voters come out in droves in these places? Real easy to blame the poor folks when in reality you have people who won't vote at all.

Nope not the poor folks and can only speak of Hudson County where the dead & buried still vote

Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,063,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
In 1991, you couldn't drive more than 2 miles in NJ without seeing a "Florio Free in 1993" or "Fire Florio, Get DelTufo" bumper sticker. The outrage towards Florio seemed immense. But something funny happens in NJ when you drive towards NYC or Philly. Those types of bumper stickers begin to disappear.
yes, because the areas without the stickers were usually home to people with higher educations, and not those who used firewood to heat their homes

Old 06-03-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJphillyfan View Post
It has less to do with turnout and more to do with the fact that there are simply more people in urban areas than suburban areas. Just look at the breakdown: about 33% of NJ registered voters are Deomocrats, while just 20% are Republicans.
typically, Dem's try to inflate the vote (e.g. having dead people cast ballots) while the Rep's try to discourage turnout (e.g. having strong-armed goons intimidate minorities at the polls)...

Old 06-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
1) there are people out there who believe Corzine has done a good job for THEM. And again, isn't that why one votes? That makes them a dim bulb? At least they're voting. And FTR, I'm NOT a Corzine fan.

2) I've asked this question before, but I'd like your take. Assume Christie gets elected....you say "he can't do worse" - what is your definition of success? Mediocrity? What if things stay the same, is that success? My income tax rate has not changed in the past x years (way before Corzine). My property taxes have gone up an average of 3-4% a year during his tenure (which is normal). Based on those 2 most prevalent gripes about him, if I voted for him in Nov, why would I be a dim bulb? If a vote for Christie means the same, what's the difference?
wow, very well said

Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
typically, Dem's try to inflate the vote (e.g. having dead people cast ballots) while the Rep's try to discourage turnout (e.g. having strong-armed goons intimidate minorities at the polls)...
LOL really? Surprising, since the Healy (Democratic mayor of JC) goons were out yelling at people as they were entering the Bright Street School a few weeks back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey