Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 10:53 AM

16 posts, read 63,668 times

Advertisements

Previously I've discounted Newark from my apartment search but I'm becoming more open-minded about it, mainly for the price tag & convenience to NYC. I know there is more crime in Newark overall, but how is the area near the Gateway building and the Prudential Center? How would it be walking those 2 or 3 blocks to/from Newark Penn at 2 or 3am on a weekend? What are the crime stats like in that area? Every now and then I used to walk to/from Newark Penn to the University Heights when I was going to school there (2003-2007) and never had a problem. I remember it being pretty quiet on Mulberry St around 3am... The worst I experienced was a bum asking me for money a few times.

I'm looking for feedback from people who actually live or work in Downtown Newark.

Other places I'm considering are Harrison/Kearny, JSQ, and if I can't find a place near a PATH station, plan B is Bloomfield, Montclair, Secaucus, JC Heights, Weehawken, et c.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,408 times
Renting in Newark's Ironbound section (the other side of Penn Station) is convenient, and the safest option for Newark. It's also the most interesting, with the best mix of cafes and restaurants. It may be getting a little better over there on "the other side of the tracks" but I wouldn't live over there, I'd stick with the Ironbound.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:42 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Renting in Newark's Ironbound section (the other side of Penn Station) is convenient, and the safest option for Newark. It's also the most interesting, with the best mix of cafes and restaurants. It may be getting a little better over there on "the other side of the tracks" but I wouldn't live over there, I'd stick with the Ironbound.
I agree with this.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:33 PM

835 posts, read 1,179,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skud9 View Post
Previously I've discounted Newark from my apartment search but I'm becoming more open-minded about it, mainly for the price tag & convenience to NYC. I know there is more crime in Newark overall, but how is the area near the Gateway building and the Prudential Center? How would it be walking those 2 or 3 blocks to/from Newark Penn at 2 or 3am on a weekend? What are the crime stats like in that area? Every now and then I used to walk to/from Newark Penn to the University Heights when I was going to school there (2003-2007) and never had a problem. I remember it being pretty quiet on Mulberry St around 3am... The worst I experienced was a bum asking me for money a few times.

I'm looking for feedback from people who actually live or work in Downtown Newark.

Other places I'm considering are Harrison/Kearny, JSQ, and if I can't find a place near a PATH station, plan B is Bloomfield, Montclair, Secaucus, JC Heights, Weehawken, et c.

Thanks
a bum asking for money is the worst you will see in that area except for idiots driving fast and running red lights.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:36 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
That area around the Prudential Center and further south can get dicey, if you want easy convenience to Penn Station and a decent area, try the Ironbound, or University Heights, which is where I live. I'm out late in the streets sometimes around 2 by myself after last call, and I've never had a problem. The row apts along MLK between James and Central are decent, and there are some nice apartments burroughed by the museum and library by Wash Park. The north ward has some decent apts too

Old 06-17-2009, 04:45 PM

44 posts, read 178,578 times
Theres Society Hill in Newark right near UMDNJ, Rutgers, and NJIT. You can get a really nice rental there and you are really close to the light rail.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:50 PM

16 posts, read 63,668 times
Thank you for the Ironbound suggestion. I will begin looking there.

@AnnaIb: I wish Society Hill had 1br condos but I've only seen 2 and 3br units... Same with the University Centre!

@twista6002: Do you live in a fraternity house? apartment building? I've been keeping an eye out for listings in those locations on craigslist but haven't seen anything turn up. Would you recommend walking around / looking for rent signs?

Thanks again!

Old 06-18-2009, 05:24 AM

44 posts, read 178,578 times
University Centre, I believe is for students only, and they charge month to month to share a unit. You can have either a private room or shared room in a shared unit.

The bathroom, Kitchen and living room are all common areas. So typically in a 2 bedroom unit you can have up to 5 people living with you.

Ive had a few 1 bedroom rentals in society hill. Right now I do not see any 1 bedrooms on GSMLS. If you want take a walk/drive around society hill, near the mail boxes owners post if they are renting their unit.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:14 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skud9 View Post
Thank you for the Ironbound suggestion. I will begin looking there.

@AnnaIb: I wish Society Hill had 1br condos but I've only seen 2 and 3br units... Same with the University Centre!

@twista6002: Do you live in a fraternity house? apartment building? I've been keeping an eye out for listings in those locations on craigslist but haven't seen anything turn up. Would you recommend walking around / looking for rent signs?

Thanks again!
No I live in University Centre apartments at Central & Lock. But I have been in those row apartments by the frat houses and they are good and most people that live there are good. There are also some good apartments on James Street between MLK and Washington and I see "For Rent" signs up all the time around there. If I were you, I'd take a quick trip around the neighborhood and browse around.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 AM

835 posts, read 1,179,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaIb View Post
Theres Society Hill in Newark right near UMDNJ, Rutgers, and NJIT. You can get a really nice rental there and you are really close to the light rail.
I just bough a townhouse there, what an awesome area.
Its real safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey