Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,400,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Would you like to be sitting in a courtroom witness chair explaining to the judge and jury why you didn't disclose fire damage to a buyer in your "disclosure" contract ??? Whats your defense......you forgot ? You didn't think they would want to know ?
I'd be happy to. I didn't create the disclosure form- someone supposedly far smarter than me regarding what did and didn't have to be disclosed decided what needed to be on the form, so I'd happily fill out what's there, and that's it. My defense would be "the question wasn't asked on the form, so I didn't think it mattered"- plain and simple- next case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 05:51 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,980,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'd be happy to. I didn't create the disclosure form- someone supposedly far smarter than me regarding what did and didn't have to be disclosed decided what needed to be on the form, so I'd happily fill out what's there, and that's it. My defense would be "the question wasn't asked on the form, so I didn't think it mattered"- plain and simple- next case.

You don't seem to understand that once you find yourself sitting in a courtroom today, even if you've done nothing wrong, you've lost. Lawyers file suits knowing they have little or no chance of winning bolstered by the history that you will make some type of settlement just to make the suit go away. And most do just to avoid the high cost of defending yourself.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:30 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,531,068 times
I wouldn't disclose anything that wasn't required on the form. Why should I?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:35 PM

636 posts, read 1,424,711 times
Quote:
You don't seem to understand that once you find yourself sitting in a courtroom today, even if you've done nothing wrong, you've lost. Lawyers file suits knowing they have little or no chance of winning bolstered by the history that you will make some type of settlement just to make the suit go away. And most do just to avoid the high cost of defending yourself.
And if you have an average lawyer, he will explain that you don't need to do anything that is not required of you. Case closed.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I wouldn't disclose anything that wasn't required on the form. Why should I?
Because thats fraud....and if proven in New Jersey that you knew something and didn't disclose it the LAW states that tripple damages are automatically awarded.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
And if you have an average lawyer, he will explain that you don't need to do anything that is not required of you. Case closed.

And whats it cost you for him to spend time in a trial explaining that to a judge and jury not to mention the cost of pretrial paperwork and discovery ? I've been involved in the real estate industry for 20+ years and your absolutely clueless as to how the system works.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:05 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,488,527 times
Quote:
Because thats fraud....and if proven in New Jersey that you knew something and didn't disclose it the LAW states that tripple damages are automatically awarded.
Maybe if you are a lawyer who doesn't give full disclosure, but not when you are a homeowner answering a question on the "disclosure document". It's not that specific. If it were, real estate agents would be out of business or hand you their business card along with their lawyers card.

Have a small kitchen fire in your house. Watch how much you end up claiming as a loss...cabinets, dishes, blinds, windows, appliances, food, flooring, Serve Pro for getting the stink out in the place the fire started and beyond...adds up quicker than you would think.

If an employment application doesn't ask for specifics and you eventually get fired for not answering questions that weren't asked...who is at fault? You or the company?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,709,300 times
we had a fire, and I don't know if my mom disclosed it when she sold. the first couple who walked through it bought it, and i'm sure there was an inspection...but it's a curious question.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
How is it fraud? The form did not ask about fires.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
And whats it cost you for him to spend time in a trial explaining that to a judge and jury not to mention the cost of pretrial paperwork and discovery ? I've been involved in the real estate industry for 20+ years and your absolutely clueless as to how the system works.
Working in the industry is fine. But fraud did not occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey