Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,366 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a really good buyer’s agent for a first time homebuyer? I have a mortgage representative and a pre-approval. I am looking in the Morris/Sussex area, within a price range of $100,000-150,000. I know that this is low, but there are still listings in this price range in the area I am looking. I just need to find an agent that can show me some properties, work with me, and help me negotiate. I understand that home prices may not be as low as they were a few months ago, but I still need to find a serious, no nonsense agent who won't waste my time, before prices and the interest rate continue to rise. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 28,143 times
Lisa Moffat - I think she's with Remax

Old 06-12-2009, 03:20 PM

250 posts, read 683,505 times
Mark Paolella Century 21

We have been with him for a few months now and we find him to be a very upfront knowledgeable agent w/ 20+ years in the business. He also does home appraisals. I am sure there are many good realtors but out of the ones we have delt with so far he is the best. Not a salesman type or pushy. Good luck finding your 1st home....

CENTURY 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Mark Paolella
201 Route 10 East, Suite 101
Succasunna, NJ 07876

Phone: 973-584-4235
Fax: 973-584-5092

Roxbury New Jersey Real Estate Roxbury NJ Homes Houses For Sale Relocation Guide - Agent Roster

Old 06-13-2009, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,366 times
Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Old 06-13-2009, 05:37 PM

777 posts, read 2,381,085 times
And he is a great member of this message board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMT View Post
Mark Paolella Century 21

We have been with him for a few months now and we find him to be a very upfront knowledgeable agent w/ 20+ years in the business. He also does home appraisals. I am sure there are many good realtors but out of the ones we have delt with so far he is the best. Not a salesman type or pushy. Good luck finding your 1st home....

Mark Paolella
Succasunna, NJ 07876

Roxbury New Jersey Real Estate Roxbury NJ Homes Houses For Sale Relocation Guide - Agent Roster

Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 AM

79 posts, read 127,589 times
Quote:
I understand that home prices may not be as low as they were a few months ago, but I still need to find a serious, no nonsense agent who won't waste my time, before prices and the interest rate continue to rise. Thanks so much!
Out of curiosity, where did you get the idea that prices are rising? That seems to contradict the available evidence for these areas. There's the spring season sales bounce, but prices continue to decline...

Old 06-15-2009, 09:26 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,063,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfwnj View Post
Out of curiosity, where did you get the idea that prices are rising?
he seems to be reporting what he's seeing in the real world, not in the world of C/S graphs & charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfwnj View Post
That seems to contradict the available evidence for these areas. There's the spring season sales bounce, but prices continue to decline...
nope, Zillow shows minute increases, all around...

(oh wait, I know -- the super-bears only cite Zillow/Trulia when they show declines...)

Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 AM

250 posts, read 683,505 times
Hummm.....I have been looking in Morris county for over a year and all I see are price declines....I literally look on the website every week just to see what has dropped into my price range. Warren county forget it....huge price declines and fast ones to. The only place I look that I see lesser and slower price declines is Essex county. I am pretty sure there will be more before the summer ends. Interesting to see that the new HGTV show on Sunday nights is Real Estate Intervention....where they take a home seller with an overpriced unrealistic home on the market and give them a dose of reality...what their house is really worth and what it should be listed for. It's unbelievable how far up in the clouds these sellers heads are floating. Not trying to be mean...just stating honestly what I am experiencing.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:47 PM

220 posts, read 623,811 times
Originally Posted by LCMT
Mark Paolella Century 21

Mark Paolella
Succasunna, NJ 07876

I work with Marc he's the best!!! Good luck!

Old 06-15-2009, 03:42 PM

79 posts, read 127,589 times
JG: I don't cite Zillow at all. It's been so wrong in specific cases too often for me to trust whatever algorithm they use to price houses. Watching the house my parents sold in 1996 for 140k go up to 700k - a year after a sale for 350k - doesn't inspire confidence. I also wonder what makes you think there's two different worlds - Case-Schiller reports on real sale prices, which of course take place in the real world, yet you seem to think that there is some other, different real world out there. Odd.

In any case, trolling me doesn't actually answer the question I posed to the OP, which is what gave them the impression that prices had gone up over the past few months and that they would continue to rise along with interest rates rising (an odd prediction barring hyperinflation).

edit: I realize I should offer something other than "Zillow is wrong" as my rebuttal to JG. Simply put, I have a hard time trusting most "official" statistical aggregations and prefer to look at all of them along with whatever I can cobble together myself from the raw data. Here are the graphs you get going YOY for Sussex and Morris county, based on their public deed records available online:

Notes:
- Number of sales is number of sales * 10 so that it will show up on the graph.
- Sussex doesn't have many records prior to 2002 - only ~80 sales in 2002 and then far less for a few years prior. Morris has strong records starting in 1993, but almost none prior.
- Morris had a few years (2006,2007) with obvious outliers or errors (sales at ~$200 million) which lead to very high average sales for those years (over $1 million) which skewed the graph. I normalized those years to the same averages as the years prior and after. Median sales I left untouched.
- Oops! I mislabeled the Morris Graph. Yellow should be "median" and pink should be "average". Apologies!

I probably should do the work to tease out the monthly numbers, but the yearly numbers are pretty clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Good Buyer's Agent - Morris/Sussex-sussex-june-09.gif   Looking for Good Buyer's Agent - Morris/Sussex-morris-june-09.gif  

Last edited by pfwnj; 06-15-2009 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: