Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:49 PM

983 posts, read 2,774,644 times

Advertisements

I've lived in NJ my whole life and I LOVE it - EXCEPT for the taxes and congestion/traffic.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:37 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,963,231 times
I don't plan on moving out of NJ. I'm quite happy here.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:43 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,737,168 times
Well, I originally stumbled upon CDF because I was researching a move to coastal NC. As it happened, we ended up staying in NJ because of my SO's familial obligations, and I believe this is honestly the best decision we could have made. I am happier here in southern coastal NJ than I could have ever imagined; this is coming from someone who has lived in other states, and never wanted to "end up in Jersey." Yes, the taxes are bad and it's not perfect, but I found everything I was searching for in a home (by moving to NC) right here in Jersey! I really do love where we live, and I feel lucky that we found that in this life.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:58 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,978,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
As one who left NJ for GA, I can speak from experience.

Yes, the taxes are very high, yes, there are some pretty anti-business policies in place, and yes, there are some polluted areas (though the whole state isn't a toxic waste dump as some would have you believe). The roads take a beating from the freeze thaw cycles, and need yearly repair, but I don't think you can really compare them to Somalia. There are some good qualities as well- nice beaches, some nice scenery, proximity to NYC, etc.

Most of the folks who have a great attachment to NJ do so because they were raised there and therefore have strong family ties. For that reason, they put up with the high cost of living. If, however, you don't have the family ties or the need to work in/near NYC, there's not much in NJ that you can't find someplace else at a much lower price, and that's why so many people are bailing out of the state.
I know there are those on here waiting for me to write a NJ bashing post here but you seem to have covered my thoughts nicely with the exception of roads. Half my relatives are Canadian from the Toronto area and they have a far worse freeze/thaw cycle yet their roads are in far superior condition with vitually no litter. Somewhere along the evolutionary roadway Americans seem to have slid backwards and granted themselves permission to to throw their trash, uneaten happy meals, ashtray contents and whatever else pleases them onto our roadsides.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:13 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,505,939 times
NJ has some very bad areas BUT also some very good areas - it depends where you end up. We left NJ because of the taxes, corruption, and crime.
A lot of people in NC are orginally from Jersey.
I miss the fun people, good pizza, and the wonderful shore.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:18 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Potholes and buckled roadways are different than litter. A lot of northern states have problems with winter damage to roads. Garbage is garbage and I've seen it all over the place. I'm sure you have too.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:32 PM

390 posts, read 1,510,641 times
Everyone mentions high taxes. I assume they mean property taxes?

Property taxes are high in NJ because there is so little property to tax. We live in a small state.
I wonder if there is a way to compare what the property taxes would be in PA, NC, SC or FL if they were the same sq miles as NJ?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:04 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrinch View Post
I live in NC, originally from WI and there are a lot of NJ transplants here (as well as all over the country) Everybody I mean EVERYBODY from there says that its like a communist state with in the US. That taxes are ridiculous, that it is anti-business and hopelessly polluted. One lady told me it has worse roads than Somolia.

Is it true?

Obviously those that fled don't appreciate great pizza. Who could leave that?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
The congestion, the poor functionally obsolete and outdated roads, the corruption, the extreme high cost of living, the always rush rush rush the world is always one big hurry way of life.

Do I miss it?

Yup !

Would I go live in NJ ever again?

Nope.

Do I love to visit friends and family who were too stupid and stuborn to leave?

Every chance I get !

Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post

Now for the good stuff: Nice beaches, diverse population, 1 hour from NYC, 1 hour from Phila., 5 hours from Boston, 6 hours from DC. , good public education in many communities, great Pizza, Taylor Ham and really super people.
Wow. You must drive very slowly and take lots of bathroom breaks. It takes me 4 hours to Boston and 4 hours to DC. If there is not traffic, 3.5 hours.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 06-14-2009 at 10:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey