Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 07:59 AM

14 posts, read 40,285 times

Advertisements

Hi. Husband may move to NJ, working in Newark. Want to know which commute would be better. Looks like Hunterdon County or Ocean County are the more affordable areas with good schools? Schools are VERY important as we have 2 small children. Worried that Ocean County commute b/t 3-6 pm in summertime would be horrible on Friday's with people going to the shore. Don't mind driving, just looking for a safe, clean town that is somewhat affordable. Moving from VA so know prices will be much higher than what we are used too. Looking to spend no more than $450K 3-4 bed, 2.5 baths. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,785,009 times
I am very partial to Hunterdon County and the schools are excellent and a very safe, very low crime area. Great place to raise a family. Plus its the most beautiful county in NJ. I commuted to Newark from Holland Township and it took me 1 hour.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:19 AM

14 posts, read 40,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I am very partial to Hunterdon County and the schools are excellent and a very safe, very low crime area. Great place to raise a family. Plus its the most beautiful county in NJ. I commuted to Newark from Holland Township and it took me 1 hour.

Thanks! Which townships are better? I have seen many homes for sale in Bethlehem and Alexandria. Any opinion?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:39 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,935 times
First, ask yourself: How important is living by the ocean? For me, Hunterdon County is NJ's best kept secret (I even hate to post it here). I am also very partial to Western Hunterdon (Holland, Milford, Alexandria, Kingwood, and Frenchtown) But, you can't do wrong anywhere in Hunterdon. I like Alexandria a little better than Bethlehem Township, but its really splitting hairs.

Just don't tell the low lifes- they seem to be skipping over us and heading right into PA....

Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
I like the higher elevations, don't know how much $$ it costs but the close by hills are nice as in between 287 and Newark off 78.

Thinking towns like Martinsville to New Providence around and in between.

You need to figure out if you prefer hills or lower areas.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:37 AM

587 posts, read 2,179,243 times
applies to both counties, if your commute is durring rush hour traffic expect to spend lots of time in the car. You can live closer and get a meaningless part time job still making out better then spending your time in traffic and paying high gas prices.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:38 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,079,236 times
That's a long commute but as far as being more convenient, I would imagine OC is better.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:26 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,785,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
First, ask yourself: How important is living by the ocean? For me, Hunterdon County is NJ's best kept secret (I even hate to post it here). I am also very partial to Western Hunterdon (Holland, Milford, Alexandria, Kingwood, and Frenchtown) But, you can't do wrong anywhere in Hunterdon. I like Alexandria a little better than Bethlehem Township, but its really splitting hairs.

Just don't tell the low lifes- they seem to be skipping over us and heading right into PA....
I agree with everything said here. I lived in Holland for 12 years and it was a wonderful experience and would love to return someday. My oldest son graduated from Delaware Valley High last year and we were very happy with the school. I feel it was underrated compared to some of the other schools in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey