Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 04:26 PM

39 posts, read 371,696 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are moving from NC to NJ in few weeks.

I have been trying to look for a job past 2 months online and have had disappointing response. I am a software engineer with a masters degree and 4-5 years of development experience. I dont have any financial experience, though. My experience is in C/C++ and dont have much application level programming - so I know its going to be tough but I am willing to start at an entry level.

First of all, I dont know how the recruiting firms work. Some agents contacted me, talked to me few times regularly and then suddenly stop responding. I can't figure out :-(
Had couple of interviews thru the agents but then never heard whether the hiring company was interested or not. I assume they were not interested but if thats the case why doesn't the agent communicate that to me??

I have applied online pretty regularly past 2 months but no response from any employer. What should I do to get their attention? I believe I can be a good fit in some positions posted by Bloomberg but haven't heard from them.

Am I doing something wrong? If anybody has any job hunting experiences/suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, would like to know that besides NYC, where are firms hiring software engineers located in NJ?

Please Help !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 02:44 PM

39 posts, read 371,696 times
No replies yet ??? I will keep checking.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:02 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoNJ View Post
Hello all,

We are moving from NC to NJ in few weeks.

I have been trying to look for a job past 2 months online and have had disappointing response. I am a software engineer with a masters degree and 4-5 years of development experience. I dont have any financial experience, though. My experience is in C/C++ and dont have much application level programming - so I know its going to be tough but I am willing to start at an entry level.

First of all, I dont know how the recruiting firms work. Some agents contacted me, talked to me few times regularly and then suddenly stop responding. I can't figure out :-(
Had couple of interviews thru the agents but then never heard whether the hiring company was interested or not. I assume they were not interested but if thats the case why doesn't the agent communicate that to me??

I have applied online pretty regularly past 2 months but no response from any employer. What should I do to get their attention? I believe I can be a good fit in some positions posted by Bloomberg but haven't heard from them.

Am I doing something wrong? If anybody has any job hunting experiences/suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, would like to know that besides NYC, where are firms hiring software engineers located in NJ?

Please Help !!!!
==================

First of some companies I know that still have C/C++ backend appz are Prudential Financial, Johnson & Johnson, PFizer, Merck, Merril Lynch, Rutgers, NJIT and UMDNJ there may be others but these are the ones I can think of right away. You can check their websites for any open positions. Also do you have any DBase integration experience using Siebel, Oracle, SQL or PHP - because if you do you should be able to locate a job in a heartbeat plus they pay more for these gigs.

Also you might want to try the three schools listed above for positions like Mid to Senior level techie jobs that require less programming if thats what you are really looking to get into.

One good outsourcing firm we have used over and over that pays well is Robert Half - check them out as well.

========================
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey