Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:42 PM

7 posts, read 51,494 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Society Hill (I) for about 3-4 years now, and I'll tell you what I know.

Firstly, I absolutely consider it safe. I lived in central jersey suburbs (Monmouth, Middlesex) before this and I feel at least as safe here as I ever did there. About 3 years ago the homeowners' association sent out a flier reminding people that their cars are supposed to be locked. That's about the extent of the trouble I've seen. I mean it is technically the city but being on the other side of 440 and having guard gates at each end really keeps it quiet. I've even been known to keep weird hours and in the middle of the night if I felt like taking a walk around or down on the river jog path I wouldn't have any qualms about it.

Ok, commuting. The appeal of Society Hill (and I guess I should say Droyer's Point now too) is how easy it is to have and use a car without giving up much in public transit means. Very quick, easy access to the Turnpike, and there are never parking issues or anything. Yet there are public transit options. I don't go to Manhattan every day but I do every so often and many neighbors do commute every day.

The A&C Bus Corp (201-434-9875) runs a bus between Society Hill and Journal Square. Until last year the bus came right through Society Hill, but not everyone liked that so now there's a small stand built just outside the gate. It turned my 30 second walk to the stop into a 3 minute walk to the gate then a 30 second walk to the stand. Hardships ... ;-)

That trip to JSQ takes very close to 15 minutes. On the weekends, and through most of midday, buses come about every 15-20 minutes. During the busier morning period they come closer to 10. And I believe it's about $1.35 right now. You can call A&C at the number above and I suspect they'll be happy to tell you the details exactly.

Then from Journal Square you can just take PATH into the city. That's an 11 minute trip to the WTC or 22 minutes to 33rd st.

So together if you time it right you can get from Society Hill into the city in a half hour. I'd certainly allow more unless your boss is a softie but it's definitely not a painful commute.

Alternatively the Light Rail is a feasible option. I think when first built it was supposed to extend one stop past Westside, bringing it very close to us, but for whatever reasons that never happened. I used it once to go to Hoboken and it seemed convenient enough. So echo what Bay said since she seems to know more about it than I.

The only thing worth noting is that the east side of Hudson (Port Liberte, e.g.) has access to ferries for an additional transport option, and that's not much of an option from here unless you wanted to drive over, park, and then ferry.

As for Jersey City schools, I don't have any school-age children myself. I do know that the area has a large array of private and parochial schools, none of which are too expensive, and that these are quite popular. And apparently the McNair Academic High School for Advanced Placement track students is quite good. But generally JC public high schools aren't a draw.

I should also say however there don't seem to be an abundance of children in the neighborhood. Technically there are plenty, and the neighborhood's clubhouse / pool complex also contains a playground. But demographically speaking I would say not a ton of children in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 01:43 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,345 times
I don't take the bus, but my guess it will take around 30 minutes. The frequency is 10-15 minutes. If you don't want to wait outside in winter, my suggestion is to drive to light rail station (5 minutes) and park the car there. My husband and I carpool to the parking lot everyday. After work, I will take the car to pick up my son in daycare first and then come back to pick my husband. If he gets off early, he will do the same.
Light rail will take 15 minutes to arrive exchange place, the frequency is 10 minutes in the morning rush hour. You can take PATH to NYC downtown (5 minutes) and you can take ferry as well.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:17 PM

6 posts, read 61,683 times
Thank you, this thread is very useful for me.I am looking into option for moving in Society Hill. A few questions;
1) Do restaurants home -deliver food in Society Hill??
2) Are there any community activities in Society Hill for socializing?

Old 07-08-2007, 04:19 AM
bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy0611 View Post
Thank you, this thread is very useful for me.I am looking into option for moving in Society Hill. A few questions;
1) Do restaurants home -deliver food in Society Hill??
1) yes, they do deliver.
there is one chinese restaurant just outside of the community (droyer pointe entrance) on kellog street. they do deliver to society hill. other than that, we order from some japanese restaurant in bayonne, they deliver, too. There is another chinese buffet, itlian pizzeria and wonder bagel right out side of main entrance across Rt440. Sometimes we order Domino pizza as well.

2) we have 3 pools, playgrounds, tennis courts, club centers and river walk in the whole commuity (society hill I, society hill II and droyer pointe). you can use the facility on your area depends on which section you will live. I did not join any formal community event since I moved in. However, people here are friendly and we made some friends when I took my son for a evening walk or playground.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:19 AM

Default how easy is it get a taxi in society hill?

I know that Society Hill is well connected to public transportation to PATH.But, is it easy to get a taxi from society hill and from journal sq. to society hill??
Thanks for your input everybody

Old 07-08-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
1) yes, they do deliver.
there is one chinese restaurant just outside of the community (droyer pointe entrance) on kellog street. they do deliver to society hill. other than that, we order from some japanese restaurant in bayonne, they deliver, too. There is another chinese buffet, itlian pizzeria and wonder bagel right out side of main entrance across Rt440. Sometimes we order Domino pizza as well.

2) we have 3 pools, playgrounds, tennis courts, club centers and river walk in the whole commuity (society hill I, society hill II and droyer pointe). you can use the facility on your area depends on which section you will live. I did not join any formal community event since I moved in. However, people here are friendly and we made some friends when I took my son for a evening walk or playground.

Thanks! Bay.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:36 AM

7 posts, read 51,494 times
Quote:
Do restaurants home -deliver food in Society Hill??
Judging from the menus I get in the mail (and occasionally to the doorstep) many places are quite happy to deliver. I can think of about half a dozen pizza places off the top of my head, about as many Chinese food spots, and a few others. My only pet peeve on the subject is that JC has some great Indian restaurants but none of them deliver (to anyone).
Quote:
Bay did a good job listing the facilities. I know that in SH 1 they also have events every so often, I recall a Halloween parade for kids, a potluck dinner type of thing for everyone, and I know there was a bus for a community trip somewhere recently but for the life of me I don't know what for. I actually don't pay much attention to it personally but the homeowner's association meets monthly and always wants to get people involved.

Quote:
I know that Society Hill is well connected to public transportation to PATH.But, is it easy to get a taxi from society hill and from journal sq. to society hill??
I only had to do it once but it was absolutely no problem. I said "Society Hill" and he knew. I also see taxis in here all the time and I have the number of a good service written down here somewhere but I can't find it at the moment. Also for the record limo service to the Newark airport takes about 20 minutes I think it costs about $40 though I always used the corporate account.

Oh, and just an update since my last post. I had occasion to use the bus since then, and actually paid attention. It was $1.25 and took 12 minutes between here and JSQ.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:57 AM
bay

I used car service to airport (NWR or LGA) couple times. it's around $36-40 to NWR as Amarsir mentioned above and $50-60(inculde toll) to JFK and LGA. Basically, SH is a big landmark on Rt440 (total household number in SH 1, 2 and droyer's point is over 700) and most of JC or Bayonne taxi should know it. If the drivers don't know the place, just tell them that it's right across Home Depot on Rt440 or further down from Husdon Mall on Rt 440 and they should get it. For bus from JSQ, you also can take 440 shopper bus, it will stop right in front of PATHMARK supermarket.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:38 PM

Thank you Amarsir and bay. Your insights have been helpful. I have decided to move to Society Hill.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:48 AM

13 posts, read 57,498 times
Quote:
Thank you Amarsir and bay. Your insights have been helpful. I have decided to move to Society Hill.
Hi Sammy,
How do find Society Hill. Anyone knows the address to this property ? URL etc ?
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey