Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:10 AM

122 posts, read 479,593 times

Advertisements

Noticed that the houses in Berkeley and Whiting are very affordable; to be honest down-right cheap in some cases. Wondering if these are mobile homes? Haven't visited the area yet; just read the for sale section of the Asbury Park Press.
Curious, what are the towns like? Would it be a decent place to retire to?
Not ready yet, but planning ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Both towns have a plethora of 55 and over housing, which holds down the median price. Remember that in most of these 55 and over communities the square footage on a home is much lower than what you'd expect in most other New Jersey towns. My in-laws live in one such area, in Manchester. I hate to say it, but many of these places lack charm. They remind me of many communities that are about 10 miles into the coast in Western Florida. I have nothing against either town, but I'd prefer to live in a remote location in either place (they do exist). However, most of the homes in both towns reside in the aforementioned retirement communities.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:34 PM

27 posts, read 77,427 times
Mike has it right.

My wife's aunt just moved to a nursing home from whiting. It is a terrible place to drive - 25mph everywhere. (not that that's the speed limit, but it's what everyone does)
The town is dead (probably not a great choice of words) after 7pm as most residents are getting ready for bed.
I would be careful to check that you are not looking in a community that is 55 and over.
One exception, if you work in a area of geriatric care you should be able to find work there.
Best of luck with the house search!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM

220 posts, read 745,205 times
I live in Berkeley, Pinewald area. There are many retired who don't live in the Senior Communities. Those that do seem to like the structured activity schedule, club house, pools and the general commaradarie with the age group. Then, of course, some do not.
I think most of the Manufactured homes are in the whiting area. It is further away from shopping, but they had community buses for the malls and other store. Whiting Proper does have food stores, liquer, gas stations and health care facilities.
The Bayville area of berkeley is closer to shopping and many seniors close that independent lifestyle, I think I would be one of them, but never say never. Homes can range from a million to low 100 K in the retirement villages. To each his own I suppose.
I forgot to add, this is by no means City living. Transportation is by car, taxi unless you are in the villages. Best to check into this. Bus services limited to Rt 9, or out of bus terminal in Toms Rive, IIRC. Good Luck

Last edited by NJ~LuLu; 07-21-2009 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: added some information

Old 07-21-2009, 02:19 PM

122 posts, read 479,593 times
Thank you all for your help!
Don't think I will consider Whiting. However, Berkeley may be worth exploring.
When I saw prices in low $200,000 for a small ranch got concerned about the area. Whiting had prices under $100,000.

Know that Toms River has lots of new 55+ communities but not sure that's for me yet. Job is still hanging in there; but who knows what 2010 will bring.
Would be nice to buy a reasonable priced house and live on the difference from what the north Jersey house sells for.
Searched the Carolinas and Florida; just not "me". Prefer to stay in Jersey if at all possible.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:45 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
Thank you all for your help!
Know that Toms River has lots of new 55+ communities but not sure that's for me yet.
Toms River doesn't have a whole lot, actually. Holiday City has a Toms River address, but is located in Berkeley Township.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:48 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ~LuLu View Post
I live in Berkeley, Pinewald area. There are many retired who don't live in the Senior Communities. Those that do seem to like the structured activity schedule, club house, pools and the general commaradarie with the age group. Then, of course, some do not.
I think most of the Manufactured homes are in the whiting area. It is further away from shopping, but they had community buses for the malls and other store. Whiting Proper does have food stores, liquer, gas stations and health care facilities.
The Bayville area of berkeley is closer to shopping and many seniors close that independent lifestyle, I think I would be one of them, but never say never. Homes can range from a million to low 100 K in the retirement villages. To each his own I suppose.
I forgot to add, this is by no means City living. Transportation is by car, taxi unless you are in the villages. Best to check into this. Bus services limited to Rt 9, or out of bus terminal in Toms Rive, IIRC. Good Luck
No, this is by no means close to city living. Living in Whiting or Berkeley is not urban, but unless you are down by Warren Grove, it's not really rural either. It's a very disconnected area. Gatling gun sprawl is too elevated a description, particularly in the areas surrounding the Rt 37 and Rt 70 artery (east of the Lakehurst Circle). Crestwood Village is the anthesis of appealing, in case you were considering further into Barrens.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 12,505 times
I am planning on moving to either Leisure Knoll or Leisure Village West, in Manchester, NJ, with my mother. In the latter, the maintenance includes repairing appliances (GE only), fixing heating/cooling problems, law care, etc. The Leisure Knoll community is my favorite. All single houses have front porches and patios. Some have 3-season rooms. Lots of flowers and large trees.

If you are of a cosmopolitan bent, probably not for you though.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:09 PM

10 posts, read 52,596 times
Default HOA Fees

I am also interested in Leisure Village West, Crestwood Village and others. However, I am concerned about the rumor that their HOA's are experiencing financial difficulties. Is this due to high volume of units for sale ?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 10,680 times
Crestwood Village has alot going for it. Sturdily built in the 60's and will probably still be standing when the newer developments are in rubble. Old trees and park like grounds with some really private settings. Convenience to AC, NYC, Phili, Ocean beaches; yet, quiet and safe and financially reasonable----best of both worlds. My mom has lived there for nineteen years and has truly enjoyed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey