Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 AM

174 posts, read 622,716 times

Advertisements

I have one more issue. I need to switch my driver’s license from NY to NJ. Also, my inspection expires in September and I am also moving in September. Should I renew it in NY or do all of it in NJ. Is inspection from NY transferable to NJ?

I have called a dmv and …let’s just say she was stoned or just stupid since I did not understand one word she said, nor she gave me an answer to anything. Not even where to go and what are the prices. I was in shock.
I would appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 PM

312 posts, read 1,164,119 times
hi, i just moved to jersey last September and had to do the same thing. Don't renew inspection in NY because you need a new inspection in Jersey. Goto a NJ DMV office and they will talk you through the whole process. Was not bad at all. NJ inspection is free with the state inspection center or you can pay a fee and have it inspected at a private garage. Some inspection centers are busier than others. The one I went to had a 3 hour wait. If i had to do it all over I would have just paid a private garage and saved that time. Inspection in jersey lasts 2 years so that is nice. NY was ever year. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:10 AM

174 posts, read 622,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
hi, i just moved to jersey last September and had to do the same thing. Don't renew inspection in NY because you need a new inspection in Jersey. Goto a NJ DMV office and they will talk you through the whole process. Was not bad at all. NJ inspection is free with the state inspection center or you can pay a fee and have it inspected at a private garage. Some inspection centers are busier than others. The one I went to had a 3 hour wait. If i had to do it all over I would have just paid a private garage and saved that time. Inspection in jersey lasts 2 years so that is nice. NY was ever year. Good luck.

Thank you! I almost did renew it in ny. Does it matter what dmv I go to? I do not have a DMV office in West Orange.
Thank again!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:50 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Actually the NJ DMV thing has been fairly efficient for many years now. One time I drove past one of the big DMV offices on the highway and saw the parking lot full, s I just went to one in a small town and had maybe 3 other people there, so i was done in about 10 minutes.

You can look up most anything at the web site: Motor Vehicle Commission

Same thing with inspection, BTW you have 2 weeks after reg'ing the car to have it inspected. You can usually find one of the inspection stations that almost always has no line if you go at the right time/place.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,657 times
"im just moved to nj from ny and wanted to know what i needed to change my license?"

Old 07-29-2009, 06:36 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,237 times
I would try to get it done for free at the DMV. I would never pay extra for that. Good luck with your move.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmalmsl View Post
"im just moved to nj from ny and wanted to know what i needed to change my license?"
captne76's link has all the info. if you are too lazy to actually do some homework here is the direct link to changing your license:
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 07-29-2009, 08:05 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I have called a dmv and …let’s just say she was stoned or just stupid since I did not understand one word she said, nor she gave me an answer to anything. Not even where to go and what are the prices. I was in shock.

Welcome to NJ. The last time I went into a DMV office, in June, I saw a notice posted on the door that they would be closed on Monday because they were getting a state furlough for one day to save the state money. I felt a little bad.

By the time I left, I wanted to yell, "YOU DESERVE TO LOSE A DAY'S PAY YOU RUDE, IGNORANT MORONS!"

Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 PM

I have to say dealing with NJ DMV (MVC) when i changed my license was very efficient. The first person i talked to told me everything i needed to do. If you goto the website you can find out exactly what documents you need so that you can save yourself a trip if you are missing anything. Don't forget to get car insurance for NJ too.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
In my case, the problem was that I needed to change the address on my driver's license. I needed a driver's license with the correct address to get a parking permit in my new town for the train, which I take to work every day. I also wanted the ID so I could join the town pool.

But you cannot just fill out a change of address form like you used to. You have to prove you live where you do, and I could not prove that. I'm living in a friend's apartment. Nothing is in my name. It was my picture on the license and I am there with my picture but they will not believe you are moving to where you say you are moving without proof. They said I could bring in a bank statement. So, I went to the bank to change my address there, and yep, they wouldn't change it without a driver's license with the new address.

So, I changed it on line. You can do that. No problem, except you wait a week or so to get the change in the mail. So, for about a week, I had to add an extra half hour per day to my already one and a half hour commute because I had to drive back to my old town and park at my mother's house and catch a bus to the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey