Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 05:54 AM

4 posts, read 5,695 times

Advertisements

born and raised in Brooklyn, NY, spent several years in Philly for school, and recently moved to downtown New Brunswick, NJ where I work. As you can tell, I'm a city boy. I'm currently renting, and would like to purchase a 2bed condo / townhouse in an urban, or semi-urban area. I'll likely end up in the Hoboken / JC area, but was wondering if there are any other spots where I can get a bit more bang for my buck.
Also, I have family and friends in Staten Island, so I'd like to stay close by.
Any ideas on some hip, urban towns in and around the New Brunswick, North NJ / NYC, Staten Island areas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Besides JC/Hoboken the only other town I can think of in the area that is "semi-urban" is Morristown. That would probably be a bit cheaper than Hoboken or JC, but if you are keeping your job in New Brunswick it is a tough commute down 287...lots of traffic. Is there a reason you want to leave New Brunswick considering you work there? My friend lives in one of those new condos downtown and it's pretty nice.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:34 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
Having grown up in a more urban environment as well I completely understand your desire to be back in the middle of things. But I have to say, now living in Edison for almost 5 years (boonies as far as Im concerned) I dont know if I would be happy again in say Hoboken. Yeah I miss walking, yeah I miss having things only a few blocks away instead of miles, yeah I miss people being out and about at all times of the day and night. But Im really getting used to being able to hang in my hammock in the evenings and hear nothing but crickets and watch lightning bugs. Its a different lifestyle for sure, but my point is, give suburbia a chance, it might just grow on you.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:34 PM

370 posts, read 1,370,372 times
Some of the people I know from Brooklyn moved to Bayonne and seem to be pretty happy there. It is close to Staten Island and might be worth looking into.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 PM

Thanks JerseryGirl - Whereabouts in Bayonne would you recommend? I've always been curious, but don't know much except that the bridge is a good alternative to the Goethals and the Outer Bridges for getting to Staten Island.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:41 PM

Thanks Anskey - The new condos are nice, but I'm looking for a 2bed and their prices (esp maintenance!) are ridiculous for NB ... no?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Having grown up in a more urban environment as well I completely understand your desire to be back in the middle of things. But I have to say, now living in Edison for almost 5 years (boonies as far as Im concerned) I dont know if I would be happy again in say Hoboken. Yeah I miss walking, yeah I miss having things only a few blocks away instead of miles, yeah I miss people being out and about at all times of the day and night. But Im really getting used to being able to hang in my hammock in the evenings and hear nothing but crickets and watch lightning bugs. Its a different lifestyle for sure, but my point is, give suburbia a chance, it might just grow on you.
Thanks, I admit, it does sound enticing. Anywhere in Edison you could recommend that are near some shops / restaurants?

Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,556 times
What do you not like about New Brunswick? Is there not enough going on there for you? I would think that would be a perfect match location wise and nightlife wise.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
I would consider the Ironbound section of Newark if I were you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey