Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:22 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
Does anyone know that absolutely massive set of bridges that cross the Raritan river down near Woodbridge? I go that way whenever I head to the shore. Well there's got to be at least 10 lanes going in each directions. They recently finished up some construction on it, so now it probably has more.
Yep, that's what I was mentioning above.
On the GSP it's called the Driscoll Bridge. Now that its's done its 15 lanes with 7 lanes going south while on the north side there are 2 sets of 4 lane bridges.

Also US 9 and NJ 35 both have all new bridges right next to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM

Also in many states the local NIMBYism makes it hard to get anything built.
In Pennsy they have been trying to rebuild US202 as a modern highway, working in bits and pieces and linking it up. There's a piece missing from I think King of Prussia to Doylestown where they had to scale it back a bit, becasue duh, geeze, if they actually built the road as the highway we all need, somebody form out of town might actually pass through their town on the way to somewhere else. Can't have that now can we?

Similar thing happened up in Northern NJ in Sussex county where NJ 23 goes down to a single lane. NJDOT wanted to build a 4 lane bypass, but then the local merchants on RT 23 got scared that they would lose car traffic going by, so the DOT dumped the whole plan. Yet in other parts of NJ there is no such problem. Actually it would make it easier for people to get to their stores if the bypass was built, but paranoia overuled that one.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:33 PM

250 posts, read 563,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I lived in NJ for 2 years, and I've never seen more than 3 lanes on each direction at any highway in Northern NJ, especially Hudson, Bergen and Essex County. Maybe 4 lanes when it's exit, otherwise only 3.

Any pics to show?
Guess you knew what GARDEN STATE PARKWAY was when you were in NJ, well it's got more than 5 lanes. It broadens to 6 lanes and narrows to 3 lanes as it dwindles down to South Jersey. I bet you didnt explore the state very well.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 PM

Also that road I call the "YankMyCrank", the NJ TurnPike is expanding to 12 lanes, 6 each way all the way down to exit 6 where I-95 will turn off so it can connect to the rest of the real I-95 in Pennsylvania. Pennsy is building the ramps to connect the Pennsy Pike to I-95 which have both crossed each other for decades without any connection. This includes dualizing the bridge over the Delaware River with a new bridge built along the existing one. IF they ever finish that (pennsy seems to move at a snails pace) I-95 will finally be connected.

Here's one link that explains some of the history of this http://www.njfreeways.com/Interstate_95_Gap.html

Also: http://www.paturnpikei95.com/home.htm

Old 07-31-2009, 07:40 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
Does anyone know that absolutely massive set of bridges that cross the Raritan river down near Woodbridge? I go that way whenever I head to the shore. Well there's got to be at least 10 lanes going in each directions. They recently finished up some construction on it, so now it probably has more.
Yes, and I love the little sign on the bridge that tells us who Alfred Driscoll was that the bridge is named after. Whenever I stop dead in the lane to try to read it, though, people honk at me for no reason.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, and I love the little sign on the bridge that tells us who Alfred Driscoll was that the bridge is named after. Whenever I stop dead in the lane to try to read it, though, people honk at me for no reason.
You're obviously travelling at the wrong times of day. Get on the bridge on a weekend during the summer, and you'll be stopped dead long enough to memorize that sign- not just read it......lol

Old 07-31-2009, 10:08 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You're obviously travelling at the wrong times of day. Get on the bridge on a weekend during the summer, and you'll be stopped dead long enough to memorize that sign- not just read it......lol
Apparently she's driving at the right time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey