Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:42 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,622,173 times

Advertisements

I have visited Il Castello's Restaurant, on Main Street, with its Italian/English menu, for the past 15 years. It is supposed to be an upscale restaurant. There are two things I have noticed that has made me a little- bit curious: Most of the waiters are either from Mexico, or other Latin-American Country, and ALL THE HELP IS MALE, especially the waiters, who get the bigger tips........

Are restaurants in the State of NJ allowed to continue such a practice? Wonder if any females have ever applied for a waitress job..............and not get hired................

There is another so called "Italian Restaurant not far from this one, on Main Street, also, I believe it is called "Venezia," that I have patronized for many years, that has the same practice. Just wondering..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 02:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
apply for a job and see how it goes.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:54 PM

990 posts, read 2,558,600 times
Oooorrrrr, apply for a job in a "Chinese Restaurant", but please let us know how it goes!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:57 PM

in college, all the workers in our "cafeteria" were black. the school was in dc. at one point, they opened up a sushi bar area. that was the only place where non-black people worked there. it was all asian of some sort. i thought it was funny that they had blacks for every other position but felt being asian was a job qualification for the sushi place.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
apply for a job and see how it goes.
I hold a PSY.D. I doubt they will hire me........

Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 PM

52 posts, read 207,044 times
Try Casa Guiseppe's in Iselin on Rt. 27. I can't voucher for the sex of the waiters, but the food is good! (Expensive, but good!)

Also, if you go down the street from Main street you will find plenty of female waitresses. We went to Shannon Rose last night. I was pleasantly surprised. Food was excellent and the prices were reasonable. The help, not so much. But since it's new, I'll give them a chance to get the hang of it before I complain.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseywoman View Post
Try Casa Guiseppe's in Iselin on Rt. 27. I can't voucher for the sex of the waiters, but the food is good! (Expensive, but good!)

Also, if you go down the street from Main street you will find plenty of female waitresses. We went to Shannon Rose last night. I was pleasantly surprised. Food was excellent and the prices were reasonable. The help, not so much. But since it's new, I'll give them a chance to get the hang of it before I complain.
I have been to both. The point I was trying to make is: If UPSCALE restaurants only hire male waiters, which are getting LARGE tips, and DO NOT HIRE female workers, isn't this some type of GENDER discrimination? And my other point is: How are they getting away with it, in the State of New Jersey?

Old 07-31-2009, 06:34 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I have been to both. The point I was trying to make is: If UPSCALE restaurants only hire male waiters, which are getting LARGE tips, and DO NOT HIRE female workers, isn't this some type of GENDER discrimination? And my other point is: How are they getting away with it, in the State of New Jersey?
Has it occured to you that perhaps there aren't any qualified women applying?? Is there some sort of discrimination going on when the only people working in a Chinese restaurant are Chinese?

Old 08-01-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
yeah, you dont know whose applying. every now and then, the ladies in my office will throw out a comment about us only hiring women. the reality is, that about 90% of applicants agencies send us are women. its just the type of business and qualifications that seem to primarily attract women.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:49 PM

21 posts, read 86,005 times
Quote:
I hold a PSY.D. I doubt they will hire me........
So what? You don't have to tell them that. I would apply if I were you just to see what happens. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey