Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:59 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,935,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl08 View Post
Without a car, NJ is hard. Our public transportation isn't really up to par. As others mentioned your price range is also a little low to be in a place on your own. A shared place would help that.
Have you thought about moving out of NYC to the other side - Brooklyn or Queens. You will have better luck with the public transportation.
I agree with that. With your requirements, NY is your best bet. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens. With your budget, you would probably need a roommate to find something decent.

There are very few (if any?) safe, affordable towns with good public transportation that are close to NYC. Stay in one of the boroughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 AM

3 posts, read 5,160 times
Thanks guy, you are great! I will certainly look around cities in NJ that you guys suggested together with Brooklyn and Queens. I know my budget is tight so the task is very challenging. But you all offered me wonderful infomation.

I was kinda picturing a small NJ town farther away from NYC (I figured maybe the farther away the cheaper the rent?...) where I can buy everything I need (by "everything" I mean food and...food) by walking, and can also walk to a bus/train station that can, with or without transfers, ultimately take me to NYC. It can be two hours of commute, or even longer, since I don't have a job I can afford the time. You guys happen to know a town like that?

Many thanks!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 AM

370 posts, read 1,372,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May528 View Post
Thanks guy, you are great! I will certainly look around cities in NJ that you guys suggested together with Brooklyn and Queens. I know my budget is tight so the task is very challenging. But you all offered me wonderful infomation.

I was kinda picturing a small NJ town farther away from NYC (I figured maybe the farther away the cheaper the rent?...) where I can buy everything I need (by "everything" I mean food and...food) by walking, and can also walk to a bus/train station that can, with or without transfers, ultimately take me to NYC. It can be two hours of commute, or even longer, since I don't have a job I can afford the time. You guys happen to know a town like that?

Many thanks!

The farther and smaller towns will make it even more difficult to get around on Public transportation. It might be cheaper for rent but in the end not haven't a car could keep you stranded there. You also will be farther away from many of the job opportunities.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,822,488 times
As I mentioned, Montclair (near Bloomfield Ave) has good transportation and it's very walkable. There are many large homes where people rent rooms, some with private baths. It would be a good start until you establish yourself.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 PM

370 posts, read 1,372,043 times
Here is a place listed on Craigslist that is in Rutherford. If you could find a place in your range there, that would work well. It has a cute walkable downtown area and then a train and buses to NYC. It is close to the city too which will help with job hunting.
Refrigerator-Heat and Hot Water-Hardwood Floors-Parking (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/1309089836.html - broken link)

here are some in montclair
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/1308979146.html (broken link)

Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM

592 posts, read 2,190,645 times
with <$800 you will be priced out of most good areas in NJ close to nyc with good access to public transit.

Only two decent options i can think of:

1) bayonne, you can take the lightrail then path to get to city.
2) fort lee, take the bus.

both areas are decent and safe, and $800 will get you an average place (ie: not a dim lit rundown basement). Good luck

Old 08-08-2009, 09:21 AM

11 posts, read 35,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May528 View Post

Many thanks!
I would suggest Union City because there is plenty of transportation into the city (I use them all myself). I know a good amount of friends who live in UC for about $750-$800 a month. Everything is in walking distance. It is also pretty safe.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:42 AM

204 posts, read 635,980 times
Like many people said, the more further out, the unlikely you can run around without a car, this is mostly true in the burbs.

Journal Square and the Heights in JC, Bayonne, Union City, Harrison, and some parts of Newark are likely your best bets as you want to keep your commuting costs down when you have interviews so less transfers the better.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:32 PM

284 posts, read 543,920 times
$600 to $800 might get you something just a little bit better than a refrigerator box in north Jersey.
But seriously, I concur with the posters that recommended the Ironbound section of Newark. Relatively safe and the major transportation hub of NJ is located there. Penn Station also has a Greyhound bus terminal. Newark airport is close by also. The Ironbound or "Down Neck" as we Newarkers call it is on the way to becoming even more desireable than it was. It has some of the best retaurants in the state too. The PATH train will get you into NYC fast and for less than $2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey