Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 01:39 PM

89 posts, read 186,639 times

Advertisements

Hi There NJCheryl32!

NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE!!!! You have every right to ask the question, even if it was posted already. Most of us have done that.
Keep calling your congressman and local politicians, this has happened before. Congress is getting flooded with calls from different organizations as well, they will address this issue. But your call counts a great deal. Pressue is what gets the ball rolling, they are just addressing the healthcare first!

HERE'S A NUMBER FOR YOU, PLEASE CALL AND GET THE DISTRICT TELEPHONE NUMBER IN YOUR AREA.

Christopher Smith in Washington DC... 202-224-3121 he picked up the phone right away, let him know you need help with your unemployment, he will then give you the number to your District Office in your area, they will pick up right away. Or , some people change their unemployment office. If you can, go to the one in Trenton, they e-mail back, call back etc...

Hope this helps, remember, these guys making these decisions need your vote to stay in office, so call them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCheryl32 View Post
I do deeply apologize i am new to this. I posted on the other forum and i was told to post here. I am so sorry.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:45 PM

702 posts, read 1,571,430 times
Hello everyone I am new TO City-Data but I have been following diorgirl's posts for a few weeks now and I want to say thank you and everyone else for all the great info you have provided. What made me register finally is to let you know I just finished visiting Rep. McDermott's site and he just released this press release that I feel will be of great importance to everyone here including myself.

Congressman Jim McDermott - News (http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/pr090910.shtml - broken link)

Old 09-10-2009, 02:47 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,048,030 times
What would those people who's EB has already expired have to do? Can they file a new claim or are they just out of luck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katedowney1 View Post
Thanks Diorgirl.

So what that means everbody is that neither proposed bill is up for discussion by congress at this moment nor is there any time set in the current schedule to discuss it.

Hopefully, they will find time to work it in otherwise, it will be some time before something is enacted.

This doesn't look good. I mean, it appears that it isn't even on the table for discussion...yet.

I do feel bad for those who have expired EB already.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:55 PM

9 posts, read 16,815 times
Congress must extend unemployment benefits: Pelosi

Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:15pm EDT

Congress must extend unemployment benefits before they expire for the 1.5 million Americans who risk exhausting them, House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi said on Thursday."We cannot let that run out," Pelosi said at a news conference. "It's pretty clear cut ... this is very necessary for us to address that."
Pelosi did not say when the House intends to act.
The unemployment rate stood at 9.7 percent in August, the highest figure since 1983, and is expected to remain high well into next year even as the economy recovers from the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s.
Roughly 6 million people were collecting long-term unemployment benefits at the end of August, according to the Labor Department.
Some 1.5 million unemployed Americans could exhaust those benefits by the end of the year, according to the National Employment Law Project.
Congress has already extended unemployment benefits for up to 79 weeks from the normal 26 weeks. Obama administration officials and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid have said they intend to extend them further.

Seems like everyone's talking about it, but no word on when any action will happen...

Old 09-10-2009, 02:58 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,048,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1020 View Post
Congress must extend unemployment benefits: Pelosi

Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:15pm EDT

Congress must extend unemployment benefits before they expire for the 1.5 million Americans who risk exhausting them, House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi said on Thursday."We cannot let that run out," Pelosi said at a news conference. "It's pretty clear cut ... this is very necessary for us to address that."
Pelosi did not say when the House intends to act.
The unemployment rate stood at 9.7 percent in August, the highest figure since 1983, and is expected to remain high well into next year even as the economy recovers from the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s.
Roughly 6 million people were collecting long-term unemployment benefits at the end of August, according to the Labor Department.
Some 1.5 million unemployed Americans could exhaust those benefits by the end of the year, according to the National Employment Law Project.
Congress has already extended unemployment benefits for up to 79 weeks from the normal 26 weeks. Obama administration officials and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid have said they intend to extend them further.

Seems like everyone's talking about it, but no word on when any action will happen...

It looks like Health Care Reform has top priority. Once that is resolved the Unemployment Bill would be next IMO.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:03 PM

37 posts, read 120,684 times
I'm with HC475n it appears all this is geared to those who will be exhausting eb I guess those who already have are sol

Old 09-10-2009, 03:04 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr North Jersey View Post
What made me register finally is to let you know I just finished visiting Rep. McDermott's site and he just released this press release that I feel will be of great importance to everyone here including myself.

Congressman Jim McDermott - News (http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/pr090910.shtml - broken link)
Thanks, Mr. North Jersey!

To summarize the content of McDermott's press release today:

In response to direct calls for help by Americans from across the country, Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA) introduced new streamlined legislation today, HR 3548, to extend unemployment insurance benefits for an additional 13 weeks in states where unemployment has averaged at least 8.5% over the last three months.

The remaining elements of the comprehensive legislation introduced in July will be re-introduced in the near future as a separate bill.

As currently drafted, HR 3548 would extend unemployment benefits by up to 13 weeks for over 300,000 jobless in high unemployment States (8.5% unemployment) and who are projected to run out of unemployment compensation by the end of September (and for over one million workers otherwise exhausting benefits before the end of the year).

Over three-quarters of the workers projected to exhaust their unemployment benefits by September live in high unemployment States that would now qualify for an additional 13 weeks of benefits under the bill. These high unemployment States are: AL, AZ, CA, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MA, MI, MS, MO, NV, NJ, NC, NY, OH, OR, PA, PR, RI, SC, TN, WA, WI & WV.

To read the full statement, go to:

Old 09-10-2009, 03:10 PM

702 posts, read 1,571,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
It looks like Health Care Reform has top priority. Once that is resolved the Unemployment Bill would be next IMO.
In Congressman McDermott's latest press release it states "In response to direct calls for help by Americans from across the country, Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA) introduced new streamlined legislation today, HR 3548, to extend unemployment insurance benefits for an additional 13 weeks in states where unemployment has averaged at least 8.5% over the last three months."
He is then quoted as saying “The comprehensive bill that looks at extending provisions through the end of next year will require more time to debate but too many Americans are quickly running out of time on their benefits and I believe the time to act on extending benefits is now,” McDermott said.

Is it safe to say he is trying to push it through a.s.a.p.?

Old 09-10-2009, 03:24 PM

106 posts, read 278,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr North Jersey View Post
Is it safe to say he is trying to push it through a.s.a.p.?
Thats my question too. While I understand what the benefits of this bill would be if passed, does "streamlined" mean it will go through quicker??

Thank God someone recognizes thers a problem and is willing to do something about it.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:17 PM

46 posts, read 70,214 times
  • <LI itxtvisited="1">Main Entry: stream·lined <LI itxtvisited="1">Pronunciation: \-ˌlīnd\ <LI itxtvisited="1">Function: adjective
  • Date: 1913
1 a : contoured to reduce resistance to motion through a fluid (as air)
b : stripped of nonessentials : compact c : effectively integrated : organized
2 : having flowing lines
3 : brought up to date : modernized
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey