Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:45 PM

20 posts, read 52,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jog1151 View Post
Realistically speaking...I am wondering what other parts of the country would you consider relocating to if you were able to leave NJ?

We have tossed this question around quite a bit lately...property taxes are getting to the point of just not being an option any longer.

We have talked about PA and Delaware but really don't know too much about either State.

What City/State have you considered, are you considering for your escape...and why???

I would suggest either Kentucky or Tennessee. CLEAN states and lots of rural areas left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 04:36 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,651 times
Default I will move

To new york state. Because a lot of corporations have left town, houses and land has become much cheaper. My niece bought a house in three acres, about 10 years', and she loves it. And she has lived in new jersey all her life.......................

Last edited by RUBIES77; 08-22-2009 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: the computer went ahead of me.....

Old 08-24-2009, 10:04 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I'm going there in December and have a feeling I'm going to love it..supposedly the perfect year round temps...alas I looked on line and I could not afford to buy a tool shed there let alone a house
Have you been to SD before Kate? Let me know if there is anything in particular you want to do there, and I can send you a DM. If you are going there in December, however, be warned. The temps aren't going to be very warm then, you are lucky if you break 65 in December.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:20 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Have you been to SD before Kate? Let me know if there is anything in particular you want to do there, and I can send you a DM. If you are going there in December, however, be warned. The temps aren't going to be very warm then, you are lucky if you break 65 in December.
No I have never been and all though my husband will not agree 65 degrees is the perfect tourist doing tours weather..heheheheh
Of course I am a zoo freak so the zoo is in order.
A drive up the coast, may be about 2 hours north of San Diego....lunch..and back.
Hubbie is taking along copy of his DD214's thinking those will gain him admission to the naval base,lol...lol I think he has a rude awakening coming...lol
We will be there New Years Eve
Any suggestions are most welcome

Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
San Diego area.

Like Porsche: "There is no substitute".

That's when I think someone countered with "F You, Joel". I think it was in "Risky Business".
Recently returned from SD. Spent some years there in the military and loved it. We hadn't been back in 10 years and were very surprised at the "growth" which includes the traffic congestion. It's a perfect weather place, but so is Hawaii and the cost of living is probably the same.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Recently returned from SD. Spent some years there in the military and loved it. We hadn't been back in 10 years and were very surprised at the "growth" which includes the traffic congestion. It's a perfect weather place, but so is Hawaii and the cost of living is probably the same.
There truly is no other place in the country like it. The traffic, north of the I-5 and 805 merge is problematic, however. It's much like the GSP in the sense you can be going at a slow roll from Del Mar up to Oceanside on any given day. Much of the later 20th century growth has occurred along this stretch of road. I remember in 1983, when I first was on I-5, there was not much of anything south of Oceanside from Camp Pendleton. Places like Vista and Carlsbad are now pretty much cities.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:40 PM

592 posts, read 2,188,055 times
i would move to shanghai china (no i am not kidding) if i could. Great city, no property tax/condo fees, excellent cheap food, lot of brand new luxury condos, no neighborhood divides the whole city is safe you can walk anywhere anytime, good public transportation system, and great medicare/hospital system for when you get old....

I think of it this way, i could retire at 45 and live in shanghai china comfortably, or i could work my ass off till 65 paying those high taxes just to own a house in the us....

note: this is assume one wants to live in a big city, if u prefer somewhere more vacational like the countryside/beach, then it's a different story.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:22 PM

23 posts, read 48,726 times
Quote:
San Diego area.

Like Porsche: "There is no substitute".
Second that!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:27 PM

23 posts, read 48,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
note: this is assume one wants to live in a big city, if u prefer somewhere more vacational like the countryside/beach, then it's a different story.
If this is the case, where would you suggest?

BTW Shanghai is a very interesting option

Old 08-25-2009, 01:33 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
It really depends on the taxes. Of course it would be cheaper to move to the south or midwest, but I would rather stay close to my family and friends in Jersey. My top choices would be Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York State or somewhere near Boston (wonderful city). Although it may be a bit expensive up there. I'm not even sure if New York is much better as far as taxes and corrupt politicians go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: