Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 PM

59 posts, read 145,756 times

Advertisements

Hi...just wondering what the best commute is to West33rd and 10th Avenue and how long will it take?

We are moving to Livingston and I just got a job offer. Our house is a few blocks from Livingston Ave so I believe I can take a bus. Additionally, I can drive to a train (Harrison I've heard mentioned here) or my husband (who works from home), can drop me off at a nearby town station.

What are the options and duration of the commute during rush hour?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM

550 posts, read 966,277 times
Sounds like you have a few options.

One that comes to mind in particular is the shuttle bus you can take from the Livingston Mall (you can either park there or have your spouse drop you off), which will take you to the South Orange Train Station, then off to Penn Station you go, and you're pretty close to work. I've heard that since the shuttle service started a few months ago, it's become pretty popular. I remember a gentleman handing out a flyer about the service at the town Memorial Day Parade.

Welcome to Livingston, New Jersey

Whatever route you take, it sounds like it will likely be about an hour or so each way.

I'm sure there are others who actually do the commute that can help further.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:22 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,429,421 times
Howdi Neighbor

Livingston NJ to Port Authority Bus Terminal, The bus company is CommunityCoach. Google them. They have stops on Livingston Ave, Prospect Ave and Livingston Center, Livingston Mall as well, there is even a Livingston Mall Shuttle I have heard of. There is a buss stop by 7/11 across the street from Kings on Livingston Ave, Shop-right Stop and stops between . It takes me on average 1:20 door to door.

I have been commuting from Livingston Circle to 35th st and 8th, it's an easy walk from the bus station, under 10 minutes, with coffee stops.

Don't know if Millburn/SouthOrange Train is faster together with parking issues and what not. It was faster and better for Wall St. commute.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:31 PM

385 posts, read 1,176,261 times
don't use the bus 77 (Riders upset over Community Coach bus service to NYC | NJ.com) it has horrible reviews. the shuttle to so station was created because of bad service on the bus. you could use that.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:46 PM

605 posts, read 2,148,067 times
Get on the south orange parking wait list. It took us 4.5 years but we finally got the permit, and it has been life changing. It is a long time but if you plan to live in the Livingston area long term, definitely worth it!

Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Get on the south orange parking wait list. It took us 4.5 years but we finally got the permit, and it has been life changing. It is a long time but if you plan to live in the Livingston area long term, definitely worth it!

only 4.5 years??? don't even try. my family has lived in south orange for 13 years, have been on the list since we moved, and just got it 2 years ago, for a spot at waterlands, not even at the station!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:00 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
You can also try the Orange train station. It has decent service now (always subject to change.. South Orange got the shaft in the last schedule change), and the waiting list for permits is sure to be shorter than South Orange. Two lots, one run by Pacific (pacificparkingsystem.com), one by the City of Orange.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 AM

605 posts, read 2,148,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
only 4.5 years??? don't even try. my family has lived in south orange for 13 years, have been on the list since we moved, and just got it 2 years ago, for a spot at waterlands, not even at the station!
Are u sure u were on the right list? We signed up in late 2007 and got it spring 2012. My husband parks in the lot, right in front of SOPAC entrance.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:33 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,429,421 times
As bad as people say the Livingston bus Commute is, I have not really noticed it to be that horrible. My point being is that if I am commuting to mid-town, and I live in the walking distance from a buss stop there is no reason to drive to the train station. About once every 2 weeks the buss delivers me to NYC late, the 2 reasons for that are either traffic or buss running late, mostly traffic. I simply catch the earlier buss and arrive to work 30 minutes early, this way if the buss is late, I am not. The bus commute is as bad as all commute in general, NJ commute via Parkway from time to time there is an extra 2 hours of traffic, even NYC subway systems has subway traffic...

Never had to really get a parking permit for S.O. had some-one drop me off there when I needed to get to wall street area.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Are u sure u were on the right list? We signed up in late 2007 and got it spring 2012. My husband parks in the lot, right in front of SOPAC entrance.
we signed up in 1999, got it sometime between 2010 and 2011 for waterlands, were moved to rescue squad lot sometime in 2012. this could be because many many people moved to so/ma from brooklyn around that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey