Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 11,689 times

Advertisements

I look at a house recently in Cranford. It was perfect and priced just right, but I wasn't too sure about the neighborhood. As far as I've ever known all of Cranford is very safe but the area this house was in looked very run down. Can someone share any information on this area with me? Is it safe? Would you purchase a home here if the house was everything else you wanted? Any help would be really appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:38 PM

786 posts, read 2,665,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemarx View Post
I look at a house recently in Cranford. It was perfect and priced just right, but I wasn't too sure about the neighborhood. As far as I've ever known all of Cranford is very safe but the area this house was in looked very run down. Can someone share any information on this area with me? Is it safe? Would you purchase a home here if the house was everything else you wanted? Any help would be really appreciated.
That area is actually right next to the border of Garwood, AND near south avenue and all the businesses lining that street.

My wife and I once in awhile walk to the nearby Pathmark, and I believe we pass through some streets very close to that, specifically Elise Street on the way to the store and back. This was at night, maybe 8 pm or so, and we had no problems at all. All was quiet, no blasting radios, no people loitering in the streets, etc. So, i think the area is fairly safe.

PROS:

1. Walkable distance to pathmark and the cranford downtown, so you have ready access to grocery, eats, trains, blockbuster, etc.

CONS:

1. Too close (as in, right next) to the border with garwood. Nothing against garwood, it's just that being too close to all the shuttered busineses that litter garwood at night is kinda creepy and makes the whole place look abandoned.

2. Too close to south avenue AND the train tracks - i think you're around 100-200 m from the tracks? Not sure how noisy that would be at night.

Walking along the rather empty South Avenue between pathmark and blockbuster at night, with all the dark shadows of closed businesses and construction is again, kinda creepy. I doubt it's dangerous though.

3. "rundown" look...i think this is basically because the area is so close to a border, a main avenue and all the businesses and empty construction sites. I don't know the crime stats of garwood, but cranford is fairly safe:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

4. You're also on the "wrong side of the cranford track", if that matters to you ;-)

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 06:31 AM..

Old 02-06-2009, 08:20 AM

179 posts, read 706,582 times
Thumbs up Go For It

There is not an unsafe area in Cranford to walk!!!

To see pictures of the area. Go to Google maps and type in Cranford, zoom in on the South Ave area and then hit the "satellite" link at the top right. Then drag the little gold man from the top left corner to the area that you want to see and then you can look at street photos of the area you're interested in.

South Avenue is a main through road and can be busy at times.

The RR tracks are between North and South Ave's; passenger trains stop at about 11/12 mid-night and start about 6 AM. A freight is a rarity on that line.

Garwood is a great town. Some describe it as "blue collar" but I don't see why. It's clean, safe and has good schools. Cranford is a little better in MHO, but there is nothing wrong with living on the border of these two towns.

If you're happy with the house and have a home inspector's blessing - go for it.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Older&Wiser View Post
There is not an unsafe area in Cranford to walk!!!

To see pictures of the area. Go to Google maps and type in Cranford, zoom in on the South Ave area and then hit the "satellite" link at the top right. Then drag the little gold man from the top left corner to the area that you want to see and then you can look at street photos of the area you're interested in.

South Avenue is a main through road and can be busy at times.

The RR tracks are between North and South Ave's; passenger trains stop at about 11/12 mid-night and start about 6 AM. A freight is a rarity on that line.

Garwood is a great town. Some describe it as "blue collar" but I don't see why. It's clean, safe and has good schools. Cranford is a little better in MHO, but there is nothing wrong with living on the border of these two towns.

If you're happy with the house and have a home inspector's blessing - go for it.
Yah, you can see south ave (and pathmarK) on google street view, but the small streets he mentions are still not in that system.

I agree about the crime thing. It's spooky at night, but I'm sure it's pretty safe in that area.

The OP is right in that that border area is kinda "dilapidated" compared to other places in the town. I think it's mainly because of proximity to south avenue, not a reflection on garwood per se. I don't wanna start a border war

Old 02-06-2009, 03:08 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,021,293 times
There are a few streets in different parts of Cranford that offer diversity, Johnson Ave. is one of them. Absolutely safe as can be, that street is slowly being redeveloped, as some of the older homes sell, builders buy them up and usually tear them down, or renovate them. There is some rowhowses that are of particular concern, that give it that *look*. It will be hard for an investor to aquire that whole piece.

Last edited by Sergio M; 02-06-2009 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-06-2009, 03:17 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,874 times
Holy crap, it's Cranford...it's as safe as can be. That being said, Johnson Avenue is really the only street in Cranford where there are people of color. It's not unsafe in the least...it's just not the ritziest part of Cranford.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Holy crap, it's Cranford...it's as safe as can be. That being said, Johnson Avenue is really the only street in Cranford where there are people of color. It's not unsafe in the least...it's just not the ritziest part of Cranford.
People of color? What does that include?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
People of color? What does that include?
Black people. Why are you smashing your head?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Black people. Why are you smashing your head?
I dunno, but isn't that a really "quaint" term to describe blacks or african-americans?

Also, there are some blacks as well to the linden side of cranford, near the GSP 136 exits, and probably in other streets as well.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:27 PM

43 posts, read 156,943 times
Geeze people...a little diversity won't kill you! Hello! It's 2009...time to realize that our world is made up of all sorts of people....not just ones that look most like us. (regardless of what you look like)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey