Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont think its unreasonable to ask to see ID.
You might feel differently if you didn't look like a white, high-income suburbanite, though. You might feel differently if you were the sort of person who gets profiled. It's frustrating, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 04:20 PM

636 posts, read 1,424,078 times
Quote:
i dont think its unreasonable to ask to see ID.
What does your view of reasonableness have to do with the Constitution?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:40 PM

636 posts, read 1,424,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Ummm, someone should tell the last and the current administration about this. I dont think they got that memo.
Agreed, which is why we need to talk about the Constitution as much as possible

Old 08-28-2009, 07:29 PM

744 posts, read 1,406,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
This is such a lame argument. Should everyone align their personal opinions with the constitution?

As for the issue at hand, I applaud Morristown for the decision, but I'm surprised they're allowed to do anything of the sort without getting smacked down by Morris County (despite the fact they obviously hold political sway in the county), and if MC in general approves, then I'm surprised Corslime, that jackal Menendez, and the NJ state government haven't stepped in yet. Enforcing law and order is not looked upon kindly in the Garden State.
Because it's the supreme law. There are mechanisms to change the parts you don't like, use them instead of just ignoring it.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:46 PM

744 posts, read 1,406,542 times
Quote:
i generally have respect for the constitution but i dont always check it before i offer my opinions. what does it say regarding the rights of non-citizens?
It says, in part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 14th Amendment
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Note that citizens have more rights than non-citizens, so it's OK to have non-citizen specific restrictions (such as needing to have ID - with the small issue that if someone doesn't have ID how do you know they aren't a citizen in order to require it...).

However, the restrictions on not depriving "life, liberty, or property" aren't restricted to citizens - they apply to non-citizens as well ("any person" as opposed to "citizen"). So shooting them on the spot won't fly.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:35 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
Legally, yes. Especially since the Constitution and Bill of Rights are a list of rights government can't take away from you.
What do the contents of the constitution have to do with someone's personal feelings. One can't always alter how they feel on any given issue based upon a legal document.

My problem is not with the constitution itself, but with those who seek to use it as a Bible rather than a tool open for interpretation. All things can and do change with time. You can't expect to effectively consult the ideas of Thomas Paine, for example (not a constitutional reference) when deciding how to deal with a cyber terrorist network.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:10 PM

825 posts, read 3,161,342 times
Has anyone in here ever seen the episode of 30 Days with Morgan Spurlock about illegal immigrants, where a legal Cuban immigrant who is against illegal immigration moves in with an illegal Mexican family? the parents and the older sibling in the mexican family are illegal, but the two youngest siblings were born in the U.S. I would recommend watching it if you can, they show it on FX sometimes.

I saw this episode and it really made me re-think my opinions on illegal immigration. if this family was to be deported, it would split up the family because two of the children are U.S. citizens. and also, the conditions they were living in back in Mexico were absolutely horrible. the sharp contrast between the U.S. and Mexico is amazing. it's hard to believe that a country so close to us has many of its citizens living in horrible conditions. I've traveled to Mexico a couple times with my family, and after seeing the poverty first hand, I honestly don't blame these people for coming over illegally. they have no choice but to come over illegally because the U.S. has a limit on how many immigrants they let in each year from all the different Latin American countries. going through the legal process would take forever, and the chance to improve their lives and their children's lives becomes smaller. they don't do it to take the jobs of Americans, they just want to live a better life for themselves and their families.

Some Americans are really quick to speak out against illegal immigration. Try imagining yourself in the shoes of a Latino immigrant. I bet a lot of the people who speak out against illegal immigration would probably illegaly immigrate to the U.S. so that at least their children would have a chance at a decent life. the legal immigration process can be very cumbersome, and some of these illegal folks are very desperate. is illegal immigration right? no, of course not. but we have to understand why some people do it. we should be a little more empathetic towards these illegal folks, rather than just screaming out "deport them!" without even having a thought about what the effects are on illegal immigrants and what the conditions were like back in their home countries.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:45 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,100 times
Let's stop one thing here. Why does everybody keep thinking that illegal immigrant=Mexican or Hispanic?

This is what the main problem is with the whole plan. Instead of going after all suspected illegal immigrants, they're going to go after a specific group of illegal immigrants while others go undetected. SMH.

And I think it's kind of stupid anyway. We all looking down on immigrants when we basically all have immigrant blood flowing through our veins except for the Native Americans.

And if you see where these people are coming from. Can you blame them for coming here? I wouldn't blame my family members in the Carribbean coming to live here seeing where they're living at and all.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:03 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
If this family was to be deported, it would split up the family because two of the children are U.S. citizens.
Perhaps the parents should have thought about this before entering a foreign country illegally. As long as we're talking about the Constitution, I think an amendment is in order to nullify the portion that guarantees citizenship by birth. I think we've all seen how that is being horrifically abused in modern times. Really, the law is just a relic from the days when they were trying to populate the U.S. anyway.

On another note, your post inspired me to download "Illegal Alien" by Genesis.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:36 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Let's stop one thing here. Why does everybody keep thinking that illegal immigrant=Mexican or Hispanic?

This is what the main problem is with the whole plan. Instead of going after all suspected illegal immigrants, they're going to go after a specific group of illegal immigrants while others go undetected. SMH.

And I think it's kind of stupid anyway. We all looking down on immigrants when we basically all have immigrant blood flowing through our veins except for the Native Americans.

And if you see where these people are coming from. Can you blame them for coming here? I wouldn't blame my family members in the Carribbean coming to live here seeing where they're living at and all.
Because the largest problems concerning undocumented workers and illegal immigration to the United States in general involves Mexicans and Hispanics in general. A Scandinavian with blonde hair and blue eyes can technically be an illegal immigrant, but this isn't fantasyland and we need not feel obligated to humor any particular group. The cops must be a bit more pragmatic when expending valuable time and resources.

As for the "we are all immigrants" line which is so beaten to death, it's the most meaningless bleeding heart tripe ever thought up. Yes, the ancestors of many European-Americans came to the United States by way of immigration, many legal, some not; it's not relevant. I'm not content to give Pedro a pass because my neighbor's Irish grandmother came here in the 1920's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: