U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 PM
 
6,898 posts, read 6,908,031 times
Reputation: 2014

Advertisements

I have a urgent question.

I have my mortgage commitment/approval conditional on the sellers cleaning up the asbestos in the home. Once this is cleared, we will then get a closing date. Here's my drama.

My daughter has a balance left for the 2009/2010 school year and need a co-signer. I'm the only credit worthy parent that could do this. Will the lender pull my credit report again before closing? I'm so afraid that if I co-sign (eventhough the loan will be defered), this will have a impact on closing the mortgage.

I should add, that i've done ALL of the loan paperwork and the mortgage broker already pulled my credit report.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 AM
 
1,173 posts, read 4,349,357 times
Reputation: 1334
They will definitely be pulling your credit again before you close
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 AM
 
1,462 posts, read 4,329,189 times
Reputation: 1009
I think it may be best to discuss this with your mortgage person, as they know the ins and outs of what's going on and how this will affect the mortgage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,146 posts, read 26,104,298 times
Reputation: 11289
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
I think it may be best to discuss this with your mortgage person, as they know the ins and outs of what's going on and how this will affect the mortgage.

Yes I agree, no sense second guessing go right to the source
and good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 10:06 AM
 
604 posts, read 1,851,783 times
Reputation: 205
At this late stage, I would refrain from giving any reason to the lender/investor to feel doubtful. Nobody (even the Lending Institute) knows when the investor would ask the lender to pull credit or check your bank acct. activity. prior to closing especially since the asbestos removal is going to take some time.

It is possible - not necessarily probable - If the Bank can be asked to delay the reporting of the cosigning or the lag time between the signing of the papers, actual approval of the loan (and therefore the reporting to the credit agencies) is going to be long then that may be something worth investigating in conjunction with a definite date for asbestos removal and OP's closing.

Last edited by armx; 09-03-2009 at 10:16 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 10:47 AM
 
6,898 posts, read 6,908,031 times
Reputation: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
At this late stage, I would refrain from giving any reason to the lender/investor to feel doubtful. Nobody (even the Lending Institute) knows when the investor would ask the lender to pull credit or check your bank acct. activity. prior to closing especially since the asbestos removal is going to take some time.

It is possible - not necessarily probable - If the Bank can be asked to delay the reporting of the cosigning or the lag time between the signing of the papers, actual approval of the loan (and therefore the reporting to the credit agencies) is going to be long then that may be something worth investigating in conjunction with a definite date for asbestos removal and OP's closing.

The asbestos removal is occuring this week. So after the mortgage company receives the report, we will then receive a closing date. My debt ratio currently is 25%, i agree i don't want to give the bank any excuse, but then again, i don't want my daughter to have to sit out a semester. This is a very tough one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Forest Hills
555 posts, read 1,529,177 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
The asbestos removal is occuring this week. So after the mortgage company receives the report, we will then receive a closing date. My debt ratio currently is 25%, i agree i don't want to give the bank any excuse, but then again, i don't want my daughter to have to sit out a semester. This is a very tough one.
They don't offer any sort of deferred payment or payment plan options that you could use for a month or two until after closing? In addition to talking to your mortgage broker, I'd also contact the school. I'd like to think most schools are reasonable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 11:21 AM
 
1,235 posts, read 3,644,384 times
Reputation: 276
I would contact the school too and see if they can help you somehow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 11:35 AM
 
604 posts, read 1,851,783 times
Reputation: 205
At 25% DTI you should be Ok on the ratios but funny thing about the investors (therefore underwriters) is that they don't like any changes " in the picture (of your financial position)" they already know to be true, before the closing time.

Enquiring about the timing regarding reporting to the credit companies may still be an exercise worth engaging in, in addition to talking to the loan officer ... but it all boils down to the investor - really.

Good luck to you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 PM
 
9,124 posts, read 33,905,065 times
Reputation: 3601
Hard to say. Back a few years ago, they wouldn't re-run your credit if the file was less than a few months old, so you'd be fine. Nowadays, that's not always the case.

On the student loan side, the loan itself probably wouldn't hit your credit report for a while, so it wouldn't change your debt ratio. The credit inquiry from the student loan company would show on a re-run credit report though, and that would possibly raise a red flag or at least a question from the mortgage company.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top