Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 PM

91 posts, read 358,927 times

Advertisements

Realistically speaking...I am wondering what other parts of the country would you consider relocating to if you were able to leave NJ?

We have tossed this question around quite a bit lately...property taxes are getting to the point of just not being an option any longer.

We have talked about PA and Delaware but really don't know too much about either State.

What City/State have you considered, are you considering for your escape...and why???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jog1151 View Post
Realistically speaking...I am wondering what other parts of the country would you consider relocating to if you were able to leave NJ?

We have tossed this question around quite a bit lately...property taxes are getting to the point of just not being an option any longer.

We have talked about PA and Delaware but really don't know too much about either State.

What City/State have you considered, are you considering for your escape...and why???
I don't know too much about other states in terms of taxes & property values.... But just for fun, part of me would love to live like Carrie Bradshaw on 'Sex In The City'.... but I could also see myself being happy somewhere laid back like one of the Carolinas some day....
But truth be told, I could probably never leave my loved ones in good old NJ!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:54 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
Troll post (err), I mean................. Troll post!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
Pennsylvania and Delaware are probably brought up a lot because they have that sense of familiarity - close proximity, border states, Northeast, etc.

I've heard whispers of moving to upstate New York from several people I know, but whether or not they will have the courage to actually leave New Jersey is another story.

Personally, I plan to move in the next couple of years as NJ is not really "my" type of state (politically, economically, etc.), but as to where I have not decided. I've been looking into southern Alabama more and more. If I stayed in the Northeast, it would probably have to be the North-North east, such as Maine or Vermont (Though likely not Vermont due to its laughable politics).

Old 08-21-2009, 04:49 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Personally, I plan to move in the next couple of years as NJ is not really "my" type of state (politically, economically, etc.), but as to where I have not decided. I've been looking into southern Alabama more and more. If I stayed in the Northeast, it would probably have to be the North-North east, such as Maine or Vermont (Though likely not Vermont due to its laughable politics).
Thinking of moving to LA, huh? That's what they call southern Alabama down here in the south- LA for "Lower Alabama"......lol

Old 08-21-2009, 04:57 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I've heard whispers of moving to upstate New York from several people I know, but whether or not they will have the courage to actually leave New Jersey is another story.

We left NJ and moved upstate NY and have never looked back. We didn't want to move south, as we don't like the humidity and heat, so we headed north. The people are friendly, helpful and it is peaceful. We were paying almost the same amount of taxes on a townhouse in NJ that we are paying on three acres.
The ONLY two things I miss are Costco and Shop-Rite.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Thinking of moving to LA, huh? That's what they call southern Alabama down here in the south- LA for "Lower Alabama"......lol
Heh, I'd love to give it a shot. I'm currently in southeastern Tennessee on vacation (though driving back to NJ today), and wish I had more time while down here to cross over into and explore Alabama (particularly the southern regions). I've always admired the culture, the history, the scenery, the food (), and the people of Alabama, and it is truly the state which comes to mind when I think of the classic South.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:09 AM

377 posts, read 1,115,065 times
We just moved to De. from NJ. I am very happy here. House prices and taxes are so much cheaper. My property taxes are sooo low. There is not as much to do as NJ, but people are really nice here.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandee1213 View Post
We just moved to De. from NJ. I am very happy here. House prices and taxes are so much cheaper. My property taxes are sooo low. There is not as much to do as NJ, but people are really nice here.

My biggest qualm with Delaware is that it seems quite dull in comparison to pretty much any of the other Northeastern states (even Rhode Island).

As a new Delaware resident, what are some things that the state seems to have in terms of culture/entertainment?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:36 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
We moved from NJ to ATL last year. We're very happy here. Taxes in NJ were $11k, here we're paying $2200. We have more property and a bigger, newer house. Schools in our area are excellent. People are welcoming and helpful. I feel we have a better quality of life here. Weather is another plus. We don't miss shoveling snow one bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: