Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:38 PM

963 posts, read 2,302,433 times

Advertisements

Newark gets more than its fair share of bad press. However, here is something simply wonderful that makes a trip to Newark mandatory!

The Fall colors in Branch Brook Park are simply incredible right now! Here is a photo I shot today during a light rain in the park. I have quite a few others I will post as I get to it. This is Newark at its finest! The fall colors are at their peak!

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/branch-brook-park-1.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 10:18 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Smile You Owe Yourself A Visit to Newark For This!

That is just gorgeous! Fall is really such a beautiful time of year, isn't it?

Old 10-24-2009, 10:59 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
It looks beautiful. NJ is a more scenic state than many outsiders realize. In reality though, the majority of my activities in Newark are limited to eating/restaurants (great Italian) and passing through.

For sublime autumn fall foliage, see northern and northwest NJ.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:57 AM

341 posts, read 679,040 times
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1344607958283&id=a8813add3ba50051 6f7b0b9a808edd4b&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.nj.gov%2fdep %2ffgw%2fimages%2fderby%2f2005%2fweequahiclake4.jp g (broken link)

Weequahic Park in Newark's south ward is also a wonderful place to visit anytime of the year. Besides the rubberized jogging path with exercise stations that winds through some beautiful foilage and the beautifully maintained golf course and softball fields, there is a beautiful big lake inside the park. When most people think of Newark, fresh water fishing might not be the first thing that pops into their minds but Weequahic lake has some absolutely giant carp in it. There are also sunfish, catfish, eels, and crappies. On most summer and early fall days one can see the dozens of people sitting on their buckets near the south end of the lake enjoying a day of fishing.

The park is adjacent to Rt. 22. Heading west on 22 into Newark get off of the Frelinghuysen Ave. exit, make a right at the end of the ramp, and the entrance to the park is a one block ahead. Weequahic park is extremely safe and is patrolled by the county park police.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:11 AM

341 posts, read 679,040 times
Besides the well known places like the Newark Museum and the Prudential Center, there are some other interesting spots to check out. Like the New Jersey Historical Society downtown on Park Place. Admission is free (there is an optional donation box).

The New Jersey Historical Society

Old 10-25-2009, 09:10 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
This is a gorgeous picture, design. I love the way that the light green gives way to the golds and ochers and oranges and vermillions, all reflected in the little creek or brook you captured in the photo. Nice pic Arboreal majesty!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:16 PM

Default Two More Views of Branch Brook Park Fall Colors

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/branch-brook-park-21.jpg (broken link)

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/branch-brook-park-3.jpg (broken link)

The Newark city officials, workers, and the Branch Brook Park Alliance and volunteers truly deserve commendation for the fine work they have done in restoring this park to its beautiful condition. I was away from the East Coast for six years and upon coming back was truly amazed at how beautiful the park has become. Thanks guys, you done well!

These photos (shot today) show the Branch Brook Lake facing the Sacred Heart Cathedral and the Ballentine Gates that face the Forest Hill secton of Newark. The fall colors are amazing this week!

Donald

Old 10-25-2009, 08:33 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
Donald - What kind of camera were you using for those shots? They look AMAZING! Did you use a tripod? I bought a Nikon D40 SLR last year and am always admiring good photography and trying to learn some new skills.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:47 PM

Default Photo shooting Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Donald - What kind of camera were you using for those shots? They look AMAZING! Did you use a tripod? I bought a Nikon D40 SLR last year and am always admiring good photography and trying to learn some new skills.
I use the Nikon D60 which is essentially a Nikon D40 with a 10meg sensor. The Nikon D40 is an excellent camera (I used one for three years and plan to purchase one again), and in my opinion the best camera ever made by Nikon for pure image quality and ease of use. The kit lens that comes with it is excellent and is the same one I use in my photography. I also use a tripod and a polarizer (to enhance the blue color of skies) on most shots.

The single most important tip I can give is to shoot when you have good light. I shoot most often between 3:30 - 5:00 in the evening during the Fall months when the sun is low on the horizon. The sunlight is softer and has a warmer glow to it. Also, it creates nice long shadows and really makes the leaves glow. Shooting early in the morning or in the hour before sunset gives you the best looking outdoor photos with very pleasing color. Midday when the sun is high in the sky creates harsh shadows and bleached out colors.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:08 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
I use the Nikon D60 which is essentially a Nikon D40 with a 10meg sensor. The Nikon D40 is an excellent camera (I used one for three years and plan to purchase one again), and in my opinion the best camera ever made by Nikon for pure image quality and ease of use. The kit lens that comes with it is excellent and is the same one I use in my photography. I also use a tripod and a polarizer (to enhance the blue color of skies) on most shots.

The single most important tip I can give is to shoot when you have good light. I shoot most often between 3:30 - 5:00 in the evening during the Fall months when the sun is low on the horizon. The sunlight is softer and has a warmer glow to it. Also, it creates nice long shadows and really makes the leaves glow. Shooting early in the morning or in the hour before sunset gives you the best looking outdoor photos with very pleasing color. Midday when the sun is high in the sky creates harsh shadows and bleached out colors.
Thanks for the tips! Looking through some of my own photos, I glanced at the ones I took in late afternoon and I noticed exactly what you're talking about. Here are a couple of low-res images I took where the effect is visible:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2111/234/87/28806488/n28806488_32320058_6539.jpg (broken link)

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2111/234/87/28806488/n28806488_32320059_7415.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: