Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,311 times

Advertisements

I recently submitted my application to the DOE for my CE to become a teacher via the alternate route. I have a MS in a International Relations and I am currently taking classes online at St. Joseph's College in Maine for my M.Ed (Educational Leadership).
My questions are these?
If I am lucky enough to get hired in NJ will I get paid as teacher with 0 years experience and BA/BS or will I get paid more for my first MS? If I am hired as a AR teacher can I use my classes at St. Joseph's in lieu of the classes/degree from NJ colleges that most district point their teachers toward?
I graduated from Rutgers with a undergrad GPA of 2.4 but was lucky enough to get into grad school where my GPA was 3.7. Which GPA will the State consider in evaluating my paperwork? I called and after waiting on hold for 40 minutes was told that they would look at the last degree completed. But I am still nervous about his response.

Added info: I did 4 years of substitute teaching in Newark and Orange as an undergrad at Rutgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,955,085 times
I don't know, but good luck.

Teacher jobs are getting hundreds of applications these days per job from what I hear.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letrese View Post
I recently submitted my application to the DOE for my CE to become a teacher via the alternate route. I have a MS in a International Relations and I am currently taking classes online at St. Joseph's College in Maine for my M.Ed (Educational Leadership).
My questions are these?
If I am lucky enough to get hired in NJ will I get paid as teacher with 0 years experience and BA/BS or will I get paid more for my first MS? If I am hired as a AR teacher can I use my classes at St. Joseph's in lieu of the classes/degree from NJ colleges that most district point their teachers toward?
I graduated from Rutgers with a undergrad GPA of 2.4 but was lucky enough to get into grad school where my GPA was 3.7. Which GPA will the State consider in evaluating my paperwork? I called and after waiting on hold for 40 minutes was told that they would look at the last degree completed. But I am still nervous about his response.

Added info: I did 4 years of substitute teaching in Newark and Orange as an undergrad at Rutgers.
Becoming a teacher via Alternate Route in NJ is next to impossible

(I should know, I have been trying for over a year.)

Teaching is a saturated field in this state. I substitute now, and have been told that for every full time opening, over 250 apps are received, more than half of which belong to traditional
route. The alternate route candidates usually don't even get considered. Some districts are considerate enough to actually state this policy, but others just waste your time.
Sorry to sound harsh.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:52 AM

249 posts, read 754,035 times
If you are willing to work in an urban district, it's not impossible to get a job. If you're looking for suburban, forget it.

My district hires alternate route teachers, although most of them are friends or relatives of someone in the district. Yes, it works like that. We have a position that is opening this month, but has been filled before it was even posted by a relative of someone at the board office that decided she wants to be a teacher. Those are usually the teachers that suck too.

Anyway, if you do find a job, you would start on step 1 with whatever level of degree you have. If you already have a masters, they should start you step 1-masters level which would give you a bit more money.

As far as the GPA, the district that is hiring you might have their own standards. When I was an undergrad, my college wouldn't have let you student teach with a GPA that low, but alternate route is obviously different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: