Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,313 times

Advertisements

OK so here's the scoop...

I recently got a job in Wayne, NJ and I currently live in Queens, NY. I recently graduated from College, so i'm trying to keep my expenses DOWN.. However, I can't do that if I'm commuting from Queens to NJ 5 days a week. So, I was wondering, What areas close to Wayne are AFFORDABLE and SAFE for a young female?!?! I looked at some places in East Orange and Passaic that were affordable. Are those neighbourhoods safe and diverse? Or would I have to drop, duck and roll when I get out my car to run into my apartment?? I'm open for suggestions. PLEASE HELP!!!!
I can't keep paying NY ANDDD NJ taxes anymore. So as much as i don't want to, I NEED to move...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 PM

555 posts, read 1,654,212 times
If you want safe and cheap look north of Wayne in all the Passaic county suburbs... Riverdale, Oakland, Pompton Lakes/Plains, Wanaque... lots of places on Route 23 that are right around Wayne.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merseperse View Post
OK so here's the scoop...

I recently got a job in Wayne, NJ and I currently live in Queens, NY. I recently graduated from College, so i'm trying to keep my expenses DOWN.. However, I can't do that if I'm commuting from Queens to NJ 5 days a week. So, I was wondering, What areas close to Wayne are AFFORDABLE and SAFE for a young female?!?! I looked at some places in East Orange and Passaic that were affordable. Are those neighbourhoods safe and diverse? Or would I have to drop, duck and roll when I get out my car to run into my apartment?? I'm open for suggestions. PLEASE HELP!!!!
I can't keep paying NY ANDDD NJ taxes anymore. So as much as i don't want to, I NEED to move...
You don't have to pay state taxes twice over (though you do need to file two tax returns). Anyway, yes it's a hell of a commute.

If you're looking for a "safe" suburb, East Orange isn't a very good choice.

If you want a nice diverse town, take a look at Montclair (this is a pretty upscale town but you may be able to find an affordable rental)

Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Try Bloomfield.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:02 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
If you want safe and cheap look north of Wayne in all the Passaic county suburbs... Riverdale, Oakland, Pompton Lakes/Plains, Wanaque... lots of places on Route 23 that are right around Wayne.
agreed. Those areas are more rural and not too much to do though. My friend rented a little bungalow in Oakland for real cheap for a few years.

These areas are more in the mix of things and should be affordable: Wayne itself, Totowa, Lodi, Little Falls, Clifton, and Bloomfield. They are all average to above average towns with rentals that you should be able to swing and within 30 minutes of Wayne

Old 10-29-2009, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,602 times
Try Lyndhurst, NJ it is beautiful. I am a real estate agent. Let me know if I can help you.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:19 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
If you're going as far away from Wayne as Lyndhurst, might as well try North Arlington and Kearny.

Lyndhurst is a haul from Wayne.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:42 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Lincoln Park

Old 10-29-2009, 08:19 PM

88,587 posts, read 84,818,250 times
West Paterson has a big apartment complex called Westmount Village (West Paterson's new name is Woodland Park, but it may be changed back after the election). Wayne is pretty big in area, but this place is five minutes from Willowbrook Mall in Wayne. The town is very safe--Westmount is a huge apartment complex on Garrett Mountain--not the lap of luxury, but nice enough.

There are also a couple of garden apartment complexes in Little Falls, also by Wayne, and in Wayne itself. You might want to check out Realtor.com or move.com. They should be listed. Also look at Riverdale and Bloomingdale, as I think someone suggested. These are all nice, safe towns, and stores, etc., are everywhere along Routes 46 and 23.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 PM

555 posts, read 1,654,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
West Paterson has a big apartment complex called Westmount Village (West Paterson's new name is Woodland Park, but it may be changed back after the election). Wayne is pretty big in area, but this place is five minutes from Willowbrook Mall in Wayne. The town is very safe--Westmount is a huge apartment complex on Garrett Mountain--not the lap of luxury, but nice enough.

There are also a couple of garden apartment complexes in Little Falls, also by Wayne, and in Wayne itself. You might want to check out Realtor.com or move.com. They should be listed. Also look at Riverdale and Bloomingdale, as I think someone suggested. These are all nice, safe towns, and stores, etc., are everywhere along Routes 46 and 23.
My wife and I lived in the Westmount Village for about 5 years... it's a pretty quiet area... heavily minority (a lot of Indians) but a nice enough place and very easy access to Route 46.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey