Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:18 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,678 times

Advertisements

On my journey to eventually buying first house (), I never really realized how insane the property tax is!

What exactly is this for? I understand everyone has property tax. I can understand certain towns being higher than others. But why as much as we have?! Also, where does that go?! Is this going somewhere that's totally benefiting NJ in some way or another?

Could someone (not a troll) elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:29 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post

On my journey to eventually buying first house (), I never really realized how insane the property tax is!

What exactly is this for? I understand everyone has property tax. I can understand certain towns being higher than others. But why as much as we have?! Also, where does that go?! Is this going somewhere that's totally benefiting NJ in some way or another?

Could someone (not a troll) elaborate?
To pay cops to give us tickets

To pay teachers to indoctrinate our kids

To pay school administration $300k a year

To feed the corrupt NJ political machine

Old 11-03-2009, 05:48 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,542 times
The honest answer is that your taxes are going to subsidize the failed communities of the state...namely, Newark, Irvington, East Orange, Elizabeth, Paterson, etc. Without YOUR money those people would starve to death. YOU are keeping them alive. YOU are feeding them. YOU are paying for their house and their kids' education. In exchange for your money, they blindly vote for anyone that has a little "D" next to their name. See how that works? Democracy in action.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,678 times

Living next to Camden, I can honestly say we are probably better without that town
So, if we didn't have any ghettos, would the property tax be more reasonable?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,015 times
We have too many towns with too much overlap of services, every little tiny town has its own school system, own police force, etc.

There is an enormous pension burden and healthcare insurance burden for all of these employees also, absolutely enormous.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
The honest answer is that your taxes are going to subsidize the failed communities of the state...namely, Newark, Irvington, East Orange, Elizabeth, Paterson, etc. Without YOUR money those people would starve to death. YOU are keeping them alive. YOU are feeding them. YOU are paying for their house and their kids' education. In exchange for your money, they blindly vote for anyone that has a little "D" next to their name. See how that works? Democracy in action.

This has to be the most ignorant and bigoted post i have seen yet.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 AM

835 posts, read 1,179,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
This has to be the most ignorant and bigoted post i have seen yet.
really? Then who pays for welfare? food stamps? new schools in urban cities? the people of irvington, newark,camden? I don't think so. Where does the money for abott districts come from?

See you guys want a blank check because you are use to free money,, now that christie is here its OVER! CUT CUT CUT

Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post

Living next to Camden, I can honestly say we are probably better without that town
So, if we didn't have any ghettos, would the property tax be more reasonable?

I would definately recommend doing a little research on exactly where the money is allocated. It is true that the bulk of the money is "allocated" to public schools and the police departments, but this is on the local levels not State Level. The poorer parts of the states are not taking the funds from the richer parts of the states, this is a myth. Hopefully the new Governor with step up and clear up the myth and outline EXACTLY where our property taxes are going, but then again this is up to the Mayor of your town to explain what their doing with the funds.

Your state taxes are a different story.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:06 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,836 times
Quote:
To feed the corrupt NJ political machine
there is your answer right there !!!!

the recent arrest of corrupt officials (Hoboken Mayor, etc. as per the confession of that Solomon Dwek guy) was apparently just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
really? Then who pays for welfare? food stamps? new schools in urban cities? the people of irvington, newark,camden? I don't think so. Where does the money for abott districts come from?

See you guys want a blank check because you are use to free money,, now that christie is here its OVER! CUT CUT CUT

Welfare comes from State and Federal funds and not your property taxes. Public School funding comes from Property Taxes, Abbott schools/Charter schools funding come both from State and Federal Funding, which has been funded by EVERY GOVERNOR no matter Dem or Rub. Goodness do a little research and stop being soing IGNORANT. "YOu People"? Another bigoted and ignorant person making ignorant comments on a subject they know absolutely nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey