Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite football team?
Giants 36 43.90%
Jets 10 12.20%
Eagles 18 21.95%
Other 18 21.95%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:22 AM

180 posts, read 452,223 times

Advertisements

Yeah twista6002, I have been to Miami Mike's and it is a really cool sports bar..And there always seem to be some retired Giants hanging out there on sundays watching the games.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 03:19 PM

14 posts, read 35,935 times
This is an interesting subject. I moved here over a year ago after living my entire life in Pittsburgh where everyone was a Steelers fan, minus maybe a handful of outcasts.

I was at a bar a few Sunday's ago and there must have been about 10 different teams jerseys being represented. In the area I live in Monmouth I see mostly all Giants fans. Probably a 1:8 ratio of Giants to Jets fans. Probably a 1:16 ratio of Giants fans to Eagles fans. Most fascinating is that I see more Steelers fans than Jets or Eagles fans. I'm still surprised how many Steelers fans I see every week.

NJ doesn't really have a team in my opinion. Not like the prototypical NFL city I am used to I guess.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:30 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,832,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
This is an interesting subject. I moved here over a year ago after living my entire life in Pittsburgh where everyone was a Steelers fan, minus maybe a handful of outcasts.

I was at a bar a few Sunday's ago and there must have been about 10 different teams jerseys being represented. In the area I live in Monmouth I see mostly all Giants fans. Probably a 1:8 ratio of Giants to Jets fans. Probably a 1:16 ratio of Giants fans to Eagles fans. Most fascinating is that I see more Steelers fans than Jets or Eagles fans. I'm still surprised how many Steelers fans I see every week.

NJ doesn't really have a team in my opinion. Not like the prototypical NFL city I am used to I guess.
I would guess the reason you saw as many Steelers fans as you did is because NY is the only area, other than the SF Bay area, that has two NFL teams, on different affiliates. The one affiliate can not broadcast an NFL game with a non-NY team if the either the Jets or Giants are the home team. That means that on many occasions, you get only two games, one the Giants, the other the Jets. If the Steelers are on during the same time, that lures those fans into satellite bars.

The Steelers, Cowboys, Dolphins, Raiders and Vikings have more fans in the area (and nationally) than most other teams. That is because they dominated an entire decade of football when I was a kid in the 70s, while most other teams sucked consistently, or had a good year or two before falling back into obscurity. These people are now middle age. And they are very visible. In 20-30 years from now, the fan bases will be down across the board, because today's youngsters are more likely to a) follow fantasy football, and thus individual players over teams, or b) more likely to pursue other interests. The people my age will probably go down as the last NFL generation loyal to a team over a gambling event.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:27 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,642,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post

Honestly, despite what the NFL and NYC claim, I always think of the Giants as a NJ team. Perhaps that's because most people who follow football up here in North Jersey tend to be Giants fans, and most of the NFL fans I have met in New York City have been pro-Jets. The Giants seemed to be ingrained in the culture of New Jersey, but again, that's only until you hit Philadelphia/Eagles territory.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:14 AM

315 posts, read 872,200 times
Nj has mostly Giant fans- -they are older, and the jET fans I think come mistky from Queens , long Island, and lower NY State

NJ probably has more Philly fans than Jet fans- at least it seems that way at the staduim sometimes- - - Jets need their on house!!

And yes, for some reason ,there are a lot of Miami fans (even in my Giant dominated family)- I think it must be when the Giants were sooo bad in the 70,s - a lot of people who rooted against the Jets -went with Shula and the Dolphins- - and NJ has lots of contacts in the Miami,Fl areas

Old 12-09-2009, 05:18 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,963,510 times
I'm a Jets fan but thats because I'm a transplanted Long Islander. I did find it cool they moved their new training facility to Florham Park though...they should officially be called NJ Jets now lol

Old 12-09-2009, 06:08 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,321,404 times
Default Scarlet Knights? Remember the Generals?

Four favorite NFL teams...
1) The Giants,
2) The Jets,
3) Whoever is playing against "that team from Dallas"
4) Whoever is playing against "that club from New England."

Anybody remember the New Jersey Generals (a team not hesitant to take the Jersey name)?
Also, I liked the name "Memphis Showboats." Anyone remember them?

I am surprised no one before me mentioned the "Scarlet Knights." They're a favorite team for many New Jerseyans who follow college ball.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:13 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,321,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
What is your favorite football team?
This subject came up between friends and I and this week's Giants-Eagles game is likely sparking a NJ Civil War.
Yes, there's even a Civil War in my house:
My oldest son and I grew up in North Jersey. We're Giants fans.
My youngest sons grew up in South Jersey. They're Eagles fans.
On Sunday, we'll have the New Civil War of Football loyalties.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,832,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Four favorite NFL teams...
1) The Giants,
2) The Jets,
3) Whoever is playing against "that team from Dallas"
4) Whoever is playing against "that club from New England."

Anybody remember the New Jersey Generals (a team not hesitant to take the Jersey name)?
Also, I liked the name "Memphis Showboats." Anyone remember them?

I am surprised no one before me mentioned the "Scarlet Knights." They're a favorite team for many New Jerseyans who follow college ball.
Pepper Rodgers-coach Reggie White-Defensive End (before landing with the Eagles).

Old 12-09-2009, 08:03 AM

7,222 posts, read 11,949,542 times
E-A-G-L-E-S.............EAGLES!!!! My DH is a die hard Saints fan and is sure enjoying himself this season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey