Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 01:01 PM

16 posts, read 36,585 times

Advertisements

We had inspection done today by Prof Engg. (PE). Looks like one side of the house gets water from neighbor who is on higher ground. The yard on that side of the house was very wet from all the rains 2 days ago.
Sellers disclosure has note about water leak when house was built 11 years ago. The problem was fixed and underground drainge pipes were insatlled around the house to take care of excess water. No issues since then. Inspector and I also did not notice any water damage, basement is fully fisnished with carpet, no issues found.

Looks like we will need to Fix Neighbors water issue on one side with some additional French drainage system and get house insecpted to make sure
no damage exists behind the fisnished walls in basement.

Need some advice on how it can be done with minimum damage to Fisnihed walls ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 01:16 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desichet View Post
We had inspection done today by Prof Engg. (PE). Looks like one side of the house gets water from neighbor who is on higher ground. The yard on that side of the house was very wet from all the rains 2 days ago.
Sellers disclosure has note about water leak when house was built 11 years ago. The problem was fixed and underground drainge pipes were insatlled around the house to take care of excess water. No issues since then. Inspector and I also did not notice any water damage, basement is fully fisnished with carpet, no issues found.

Looks like we will need to Fix Neighbors water issue on one side with some additional French drainage system and get house insecpted to make sure

Not sure what you can fix in term of water on side side of the yard outside. I get quite a bit of water on one side of my yard where both mine and neighbor's water flow to and it goes to the drain. If no water is getting into the basement now, not sure what you could do except to have seller pay for having a water proofing company come out to do an assessment. That's what I had my seller do when I purchased my house and I had concern about water comping into the basement.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:28 PM

16 posts, read 36,585 times
sj08054,

Can you tell me how did Water Proofing Company managed to inspect finished basement walls for Damage ? Do they have any special tools or they open up the sheet rock and put it back ? Also You mentioned you also get water from neighbors that go into drainage by your house, did you have to create that system ? Do you mind sharing how is it done and cost ?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:41 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
My basement is not finished so it was probably much easier for them to evaluate. I requested to have water proofing company evaluate based on my home inspector and agent.

During the home inspection, it was noted that there was a 2nd sump sitting by the pit. The pump in the sump was not working. There were also a smal section of the wall with some residure that appear to be from water stain. The house was built with a french drain system. The water proofing company assessed that some of the stain was due to water coming in from the window because the gutter drain was not done properly. They didn't have to do anything except to give me a report and steps to keep water out. I've been living in the house for 5 years now and zero problem.

As for the way the water flow in my yard. It's the way the buider had designed it originally. The house behind me is on higher ground and my next door neighbor is on about the same level. We get a channel of water right on the property line. Enough for the kids to do water slide on a big storm but we never get water into neither one of our basement. It all goes into my sump pit because of the french drain.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desichet View Post

Ask the PE for recommendations on how to divert the water away from your house. Perhaps consult with a quality landscaper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey